Page 1430 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 43093013301380142014281429143014311432144014801530 ... LastLast
Results 14,291 to 14,300 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Yes, PeteS, I was thinking of adding to my comment about Snowdonia having the best fell running terrain, something like "but it's not as pretty as the Lake District"..
    Indeed. Like Travs, I think I might retire to the Lakes one day though the more I see of the far north of Scotland, the more I waiver from that. I could definitely live on Orkney though not sure if I could cope with the lack of daylight in the winter months..

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    On Snowdonia vs Howgills: I think this discussion highlights the dangers of using the word "best". Snowdonia is the best for the magnificence and challenge of the terrain, but I would agree with WD that the Howgills come out top for underfoot conditions that are a sheer joy to run over.

I have happy memories of the Howgills. I had never even heard of them when it was announced that the second Capricorn 2-day Long-O [anyone else remember that event?] in 1981 would be in the Howgill Fells and Wild Boar Fell. I amazed myself by coming 4th on the A course [Note: there was also an Elite course]. And it's for good reason that I ran the Sedbergh Hills race 6 times, as well as the Green Bell race twice, generally doing well in all these races. Although Snowdonia does also have hills with a similar surface of sheep-cropped grass: the Moel Eilio ridge is a good example.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Today's plan had been to drive round to either Bethesda, or the eastern side of the Carneddau from Llanrwst area, and have a gentle run up into the northern Carneddau hills. However waking up this morning after Peris, I just didn't have it in me.

So instead drove down to Barmouth, parked on the seafront, and set off on a little bit of a beach run (although it's almost an insult to call it a run, more of a pained jog). Heading north into a freezing headwind, I bravely turned round after about 2/3rds of a mile, and back through the town and across Barmouth Bridge, a little circuit on that side of the estuary, back across the bridge and back to the car.

Fantastic running across the wooden bridge, with the wind whistling down the estuary, and the Cader Idris range in front. Managed 5 miles before calling it a day and going to the bakers for an early lunch.

Brings the weekly total to a solid 44 miles and 18250ft, obviously the ascent figure massively skewed by doing Peris yesterday.

Now got a fortnight to find some speed back in my legs for the Breidden Hills. Last year came 23rd and at the time it was statistically my best performance. This year I believe it's a Welsh Champs race so unlikely to improve on position, all I can do is aim to improve on last year's time and let the position take care of itself.

How did you get on with the peris ?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Aah Barmouth. Happy memories as a child Cader Idris, walking over the bridge, kayaking on the estuary and learning to climb on Barmouth slabs.

Spen.... started strongly, about 15-18th at Glyder, but a few minor route errors, and not feeling particularly strong in the 2nd half, ended up 30th. But an improvement on last year and a pb by half an hour, so pretty happy. 4hrs35 which I'd have snapped your hand off at the start, but I feel there's more to come off that with hard work.

Pete... yes a great place, fantastic mountain scenery and lovely beach. Standing at the harbour got me thinking about how great it must be to be on the start line for the 3 Peaks Yacht Race, and got me thinking about trying to get on a boat for 2020..... this year I was provisionally in a boat but it fell through (the plans, not the actual boat!) in the early stages... and next year I've already got something else going on in June...

Good going for the peris. I may enter next year as I’m getting fitter

What’s the route up onto lliwed? Up miners, around the llyn then up the Minor trod?

Well in theory it's your own route choice... but yes, from the cp at Pen-y-Pass, up the Miner's Track to the pumping station, and up to the left. The Lliwedd cp is on the 2nd (main) peak of Lliwedd.

I have no idea of your previous experience or ability, so I apologise if you are already aware, but you need to have done some 'qualifying' races to get into the full Peris race... don't know the actual wording, but probably something like 2 x AL or AM races in recent history i.e last year or two.

It’s been a few years since I did any due to injury. Hopefully get a could under my belt next year.