Page 1441 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 44194113411391143114391440144114421443145114911541 ... LastLast
Results 14,401 to 14,410 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Back to the club tonight and a 30 minute hill rep session on the road. Felt the heavy weekend mileage in my legs, but worked as hard as possible.

Total of 8.5 miles tonight. Will have to keep the rest of the week steady in order to be fresh on the start line on Saturday.

After a restful start to the week, due to recovering from TourDeH, not to mention getting over the extreme pain of the severe bruising to my arm from a very bad fall.... managed to squeeze 20 miles and 7500ft into the last couple of days.

Plenty coming up, xmas day Parkrun, Devil's Chair Dash on Boxing Day, Jubilee Plunge on the 30th and Nine Standards on the 1st... so not much time for intense training between the racing and recovering.

Today the club are doing an xmas session, but with a heavy racing schedule coming up, I ducked out, intending to do a "steady gym session" this morning instead.

Unfortunately this morphed quite quickly into a 1 hour hill rep session...

Split into 12 sections of 5mins.
    1-6 were 4 mins power walking and 1 min run.
    7-9 were 3.5 mins power walking and 1.5 min run
    10-12 were 3 mins power walk and 2 mins hard run.

To be quite honest, for a fair-to-middling fellrunner, it only really hurt on the final 3 reps, but chalked up a solid 5 miles and 3200ft. Hopefully won't come back to haunt my legs over the next couple of days...

Super Moderator
    I’ve been for two runs in five days. Today was four miles or so with friends from Ponden up to the Alcomden Stones then Withins and back
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 24-12-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Super Moderator
    Three in six days with a Santa hat and dog run up to Top Withins again

Good stuff Derby Tup.

I did the Cov Parkrun this morning. Very congested, 660 people, so I was a couple of rows back from the front, and got a bit held up from my usual lightning start. This was actually a blessing as it allowed me to pace my run much better, and after about a mile I was able to pick my way through the group, moving up to 17th after lap 1 and 10th by the finish. New pb of 18:41.... I was chasing 18:30 but can't complain. Next target is sub 18:30 but I'll be aiming to try and get sub 18:00 by this time next year. Not sure how possible this is though.

Super Moderator
    Great run for a Christmas Day Travs

Talk of us nipping out early doors tomorrow before taking the KWVR Mince Pie Special later

Super Moderator
    A couple of mixed-terrain miles early doors

Yesterday was the Lancaster Christmas Day Park Run. Myself and another "old time fell runner from the '80s" were the tail-walkers.
    Today it was the traditional Bowland Boxing Day run - from Carwags, around Beacon Fell, across the Bleasedale estate, over Parlick Pike & Fairsnape Fell, return across the Bleasedale estate and over Beacon Fell to Carwags.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Interesting day today. AM a standard easy session on the treadmill, 4 miles 2000ft, followed by some stretching and weights.

Our group at the club is officially on holiday, but tonight I joined a younger group, generally made up of absolute whippets and track runners. Actually did drills tonight. The only drills I usually do before a session are strides and maybe a half-hearted bit of skipping around. But this was a structured drill session, and to be honest I was way out of my depth and nearly kneed myself in the head about six times.

Thankfully we got onto the session... 5 x 1km with 2 minute rests. Considering I've raced the two days previously, and was chasing a younger group of runners, I was fairly pleased with my night's work, and even put a couple of them to the sword.

One thing I noticed in difference between this more 'high performance' group and my own veteran group... if we are having a bad day, then will slog it out and finish the session regardless, in the belief that we've at least trained a bit of mental toughness, even if it wasn't going right running-wise. This group was different... one or two of them having a bad day, so after a chat with the coach they dropped out of the rep session, and did some further drills and short sprints. I'm nobody to argue with the superb coaches at our club, perhaps there's reasoning behind this, but certainly new to me. We'd perhaps skip a rep, or shorten the reps, if it wasn't going well, but I'd be reluctant to drop out completely. Maybe that's why I'm decidedly average when it comes to running on the flat...

Running with confidence at the moment, and feeling good, but need a couple of easy days before the Jubilee Plunge on Sunday and Nine Standards on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Travs; 27-12-2018 at 11:03 PM.