Page 1447 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 44794713471397143714451446144714481449145714971547 ... LastLast
Results 14,461 to 14,470 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

That's the Glamaig horseshoe I meant. It's great. The run down the last ridge is great fun apart from the last 300m or so which is really awkward, steep, tussocky and slippy.
    The weather improved this afternoon. I managed 75 minutes around the cliffs outside Portreeve in an extended lunch break. We hit the heady heights of 14C! Looks decent for your Raasay trip too. I'm doing Bein Tianavaig myself or maybe the run you did yesterday with an extension to Meall Odhar. Glad you've enjoyed your time here. The wind and weather is something else here. I struggle to run down hill sometimes. As you said, it can lift you off your feet. I did a race over in Harris a while ago, it's even worse!

We're quite happy to keep it a low key affair. We've got restrictions from SNH to keep numbers down to 75 unless it's a championship race. The route goes over a SSSI area so they worry about people trampling a rare bog flower on the back of the Storr. Apparently it only grows there and Iceland. We've also got RSPB to tend with, Golden eagles nest 100m from the final descent and if there are chicks we need to alter the route slightly. We put transport on to the start line and back from the finish to PortreeWe hire a Citylink bus-50 seater- and a couple of minibuses so bigger numbers mean more buses etc.
    We still think it's the best bargain race in Scotland. £15 Inc transport, baking and prize giving meal. We get sponsored by Talisker whisky who provide prizes and a local architect R.House who pay for the bus. I think we've got some entries this year from Norway and Todmorden! Hopefully see you some time
    Neil

Well the Horseshoe certainly took more than 2hr30 yesterday's weather...! I think it took me longer than an hour to battle my way onto Glamaig. I was on the final top in 2hrs30 (it took me until halfway up the 2nd climb to find my climbing legs, but I was able to run much of the final climb).

The ridge descent down was great but terrifying as the tail-wind was pushing me towards speeds I couldn't cope with, so half way down I sat down and ate a Scotch Pie before continuing down a little steadier.

Master
    Managed a flat off road run 5.5 miles first time in a long time, but tired quickly at 8 min mile pace. Knee and ankle tied up in final mile and it seems my injuries cause that attritional impact. Not quite so bad when out on fell and at a slower pace.
    Followed this up with a mile dash from Stamford Bridge to Earls Court last night. Only a mile but well under 8 min pace. perhaps I might be able to start intervals again sometime soon.

Super Moderator
    Sounds positive Simon

Great hearing about Travs’ adventures on Skye

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Sounds positive Simon

Great hearing about Travs’ adventures on Skye

Indeed. It sounds great and stark contrast to the streets of west London! I have been to Skye 3 times but never set foot in the Cuilins. last time up I stayed near to Kyle of Lochalsh and focussed attention on the hills around Kintail. Also very, very good. A stark difference with those hills are the roughness of the trods, and especially in decent when 3000 foot plus downhills on a shoddy steep trail seem the norm. I am sure Trav has been up to Skye before, I do recall some similar adventures? His increased fitness now though seems to be paying dividends for him, being able to string several brutal days together. Forest v Derby on Monday night, exciting but not a day for a jog along the Trent!

Trained today for the first time in 3 weeks, just a pootle round the first leg of the BGR. Massively relieved that my dodgy foot has survived 13 miles being repeatedly brayed in a pair of unforgiving Walshes.

(Although ironically it feels like i’ve totally cut up my heel, probably down to the big gel pad I had protecting my metatarsals. swings and roundabouts).

Went over to Rasaay today. What a fantastic place. Really needs more than a single day. The going was much rougher than expected and I couldn't get as far as planned, as was confined to the ferry timetable.

Obviously the first port of call was the highest point on the island... Dun Cana... what a place, sea, lochs and moorland as far as the eye could see... descended towards the west coast, then down to the south coast and back towards the ferry...

19 miles and around 2000ft... every bit as challenging as Skye, and every bit as magical in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well the Horseshoe certainly took more than 2hr30 yesterday's weather...! I think it took me longer than an hour to battle my way onto Glamaig. I was on the final top in 2hrs30 (it took me until halfway up the 2nd climb to find my climbing legs, but I was able to run much of the final climb).

The ridge descent down was great but terrifying as the tail-wind was pushing me towards speeds I couldn't cope with, so half way down I sat down and ate a Scotch Pie before continuing down a little steadier.
    I always take the race route up and start/finish at the hotel. Still takes me 50 minutes up. You can get back to the hotel from the last summit in 25 minutes on a good day. Stopping for pies doesn't help, adds some ballast I suppose. I think the horseshoe from the hotel's about 7.5 miles with 4000ft. The run back across the moor can be horribly boggy, I've fallen in up to my waist before.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Went over to Rasaay today. What a fantastic place. Really needs more than a single day. The going was much rougher than expected and I couldn't get as far as planned, as was confined to the ferry timetable.

Obviously the first port of call was the highest point on the island... Dun Cana... what a place, sea, lochs and moorland as far as the eye could see... descended towards the west coast, then down to the south coast and back towards the ferry...

19 miles and around 2000ft... every bit as challenging as Skye, and every bit as magical in its own way.
    Raasay always reminds me of the Wicker Man. No Police, cut off from civilization, bandit country! Theres all sorts goes on over there.I occasionally go over for work to visit patients. I always manage to fit a run up Dun Caan in.
    I normally just go up from the end of the old railway. 6 miles return.
    Im surprised you got over today. I though the ferry would be cancelled. I was up Bein Tianavaig about 10 and had a 50 mph wind pushing me up all the way. When I turned at the top I could hardly move downhill so.descended north, then east to pick up the shore line path on the Sound of Raasay back to the car.
    Sounds like you've had a busy week, you've packed more in than I'd do in a month!