Page 1461 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 46196113611411145114591460146114621463147115111561 ... LastLast
Results 14,601 to 14,610 of 16893

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Does 61 mark the onset of old age? I've been for a birthday run over Buck Hill and Beacon Hill, my favourite local route, but felt like an old man, and even stopped to walk for a short distance on two occasions. It was pleasant enough being out in the green countryside in the sunshine, but my time was what I would typically expect in difficult Winter conditions.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Age is just a number though I have to admit I'm nowhere near as quick as I was 5 years ago. We all slow down eventually but at least you are out there still doing it and with the added bonus of taking time to enjoy the countryside.

I had a trip out to Shropshire and did a big focused hill session on a couple of circuits of Yearlet, Ashlet and Grindle. Blimey they pack a punch together! An easier 3km there and back again to the van to warm up/down. Enjoyed the day despite the early wild, wet and windy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Age is just a number though I have to admit I'm nowhere near as quick as I was 5 years ago. We all slow down eventually but at least you are out there still doing it and with the added bonus of taking time to enjoy the countryside.

I had a trip out to Shropshire and did a big focused hill session on a couple of circuits of Yearlet, Ashlet and Grindle. Blimey they pack a punch together! An easier 3km there and back again to the van to warm up/down. Enjoyed the day despite the early wild, wet and windy weather.
    Are you doing Callow? July 7th...

Now there’s a race to put hairs on your chest...

I hadn't considered it but quite tempted especially with my current ethos of trying to do races I've not done before. Would be similar to most of my route today though the thought of going at that in full tilt race mode is a little scary!

That was my thought... similar to your session today!

So basically Ashlet, Town Brook, yearlet, Ashes Hollow, Grindle, Callow Hollow and then Callow? Ouch!
    Last edited by PeteS; 16-06-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    So basically Ashlet, Town Brook, yearlet, Ashes Hollow, Grindle, Callow Hollow and then Callow? Ouch!
    That sounds about correct. Very little, if any of the climbing is runnable. In fact over 5 miles there's probably only about 3/4 of a mile of vaguely flat ground (the start field, over one of the tops, and in the valley between the 3rd and final climbs). The rest is either climbing or descending.

Last year was absolutely baking. I'm banking on a pb this year just on the hope of it being a good few degrees cooler, never mind any improvements in performance!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That sounds about correct. Very little, if any of the climbing is runnable. In fact over 5 miles there's probably only about 3/4 of a mile of vaguely flat ground (the start field, over one of the tops, and in the valley between the 3rd and final climbs). The rest is either climbing or descending.

Last year was absolutely baking. I'm banking on a pb this year just on the hope of it being a good few degrees cooler, never mind any improvements in performance!
    Sounds perfect - will keep it in mind.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Barely able to walk after the race on Sunday. Finished my first trail marathon despite having had misgivings over doing it - spent the previous two or three weeks resting tendonitis in my hip.
    Started too fast, the first climb totals 1200m in one hit and it was seriously hot by the time I got to the top - bit dizzy and there's some seriously exposed scrambling over the ridge. I'm not good at heights at the best of times and felt I was holding loads of runners up (but didn't dare look!). By the second climb I was in a grim death march, unrelentingly steep through a hot, airless forest. Had to stop a few times to steady myself, felt faint and nauseous. Met a couple of runners going back down to DNF, but cracked on anyway, had a sit down and met a fellow sufferer and kept going together. Walked the entire third climb but managed to run in the last 5 or 6k to the finish. Wasn't last, not even on the last page for once, and didn't get time-cut - so happy all round. From couch to trail marathon in 6 months!
    Final stats were 43km, 2800m and 7h41. Winners came in at 4h05 and 4h55 first man/woman respectively. Quite a lot of DNFs. SOme great crowds up on the tops - well recommended if you don't get a Zegama dorsal but fancy a Basque race all the same.

Great stuff Bob....

Very tough club night tonight in the pouring rain.

Road session (4 x 400m and 3 x 100m hill sprints) x3

The idea being that the 400m are run consistently throughout, but the increasing fatigue caused by the hill sprints makes it very difficult.

Made a good fist of this tonight. First set the 400m reps (actually they were 420m) were knocked off at about 85sec pace. By the 3rd set, despite the tiredness, I was down to 82secs.

Pushed hard tonight. For one, the only way I’m going to get faster is to get right outside my comfort zone. Hence the 3000m at the weekend, and my efforts tonight.

Also, it’s often said you should train with people stronger than yourself. Well there are 4 of us who are just about equal, and that is almost even more of a challenge. None of us will give an inch, and you know if you’re working hard... if not you get left behind.

I went for it tonight and tried to split the group on the second set. Once you’ve made that effort you’ve got to try and hold it through to the end, and I just about managed, although I was in pieces at the end of the session.

8 miles, of which 4 were hard effort. Coupled with a steady 4.5miles/2000ft this morning, so a good day.