Page 1464 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 46496413641414145414621463146414651466147415141564 ... LastLast
Results 14,631 to 14,640 of 16893

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    31 miles and 11000 feet on Saturday 29th! Incredibly hot day doing the Abrahams Tea Room Round as a swim run. Created new Frog Abraham Round, a worthy and slightly easier alternative to The Frog Graham. I really laboured in the heat and suffered cramp from Robinson onwards. By Whiteless ascent I was so dehydrated and spasms of cramp continued. basically had a final swim from Nicol End to Keswick marina unable to kick with my legs!!
    Disappointed with my time of 15 hours (I knew I would be slow as I have had so little training) but not too shabby. I hope as a round it catches on.

Great stuff Simon...

Track session tonight... 2 x (2 x 200m, 4 x 400m, 2 x 200m).

Still feeling the weekend's efforts, and a race tomorrow, I started very steadily at the back of the group, and slowly worked through, approaching normal pace in the second set of reps...

10 miles today, of which 3 were effort.

Track mile race tomorrow. I ran the 3000m on the track at 5:45/mile pace, and I expect I'll need to run under 5:30 to give my clubmates a decent race... Not really sure I can manage that, and I'm going to have to 'go' at about 700-800metres out, because I'll never beat them if it comes to a last lap sprint... In fact I'll probably never get in front in any case...!

Funny how a bit of a training race/speedwork has turned into a serious race in my eyes! I guess that's what racing does to me!

Raced the track mile on a warm night tonight...

I was in the 2nd of the three levels of races, our race having a range of predicted finishing times between 5:15 and 5:40..... my race also included 5 club-mates from my training group, of similar, if not slightly faster ability.

I’d put down a predicted time of 5:30 based on the coach’s recommendation.... but whilst I thought that was a fair target, I seriously doubted my ability to go under it. Although of far more concern was the thought of being thrashed by my team-mates, so I needed some tactics to keep me in the hunt.

I knew if it came to a sprint finish I would have no chance, so had to run a fairly hard race from the start, and start my “kick” early, perhaps 700m to go.

In the event I went out fairly hard on the first lap, having done the first lap and a bit in 78secs... tempered the effort down a bit on the second lap, without losing any places, then wound it up... started to really wind it up from about 600 metres out, and actually got back to within about 10 metres of the leading group of 4, but once they started their charges, they soon pulled away.

Absolute pain and fatigue on the final lap, but I was prepared to hurt, and I held on for a pleasing 5:22... I was 5th out of the 6 Godivas, whose times ranged between 5:09 and 5:30.... I’d have bitten your arm off for that result before the race, I was well pleased with my efforts. Approx 8th overall out of 13 or 14.

But was quite sobering to watch the ‘A’ race, and see our Somalian guy go round in 4:17...

Can’t beat a bit of internal club rivalry.

Been resting a little since Sunday’s efforts at Callow. Skipped the club night tonight, and so far only done about 10 miles this week.

Intention is to take it steady for the rest of the week, and then possibly have a decent bash at a Parkrun on Saturday.

Last 4 weeks have been a concerted effort to up the mileage from 40 miles/10000ft.... last four weeks have averaged 53 miles and around 13000ft.

Master
    Did an 8 mile jog at 8 min mile pace on Sunday and barely was able to complete it. Ankle joint terrible. It seems running on the flat is harder than up and down hills. Compared to last weeks 30 mile effort on the fells when I was heartened not to suffer too much ankle or knee pain, that I only need to do a little distance on the road or canal and I suffer. perhaps being on the fells also means I am going slower and there is less repetition? last night easy swim session and some weights afterwards, 50 miles on bike planned overnight before cycling this weekend from Ludlow to Aberystwyth and back in the Two Ton Tour. Hopefully back on the fells the following weekend, if ankle calms down.

Par for the course these days, 4.3 miles, 630ft steady plod around Billinge Woods as part of a typical 3-4 run 14-18 mile week.

Can't seem to get any more in.

It was lovely and peaceful though.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

After a recent spate of 4 races in 9 days, and a concerted increase in mileage over the past month, I had a much easier week last, and only ran on two days...

Back to the grind this week, two sessions a day. This morning was a hill session, 3 miles 1850ft.

This evening was rather arduous.... I got to club night a good hour early and set up some steeplechase hurdles to get some practice, in anticipation that I’ll probably have to run it in the final Midlands League track fixture. Finished off by running a rather brisk 3 mile steeplechase. Then onto the club session. 5 x1km on the road, with 2 mins rest.

This started promisingly with the first two reps knocked out in under 3:30.... however soon into the 3rd rep a combination of the heat and the earlier effort hit me like a bolt, and I dropped off the back of my group alarmingly. I did finish the session, but the final couple of reps were knocked out at well over 20min/5km pace.

But a good day and a bit of confidence built up that I can complete the steeplechase without a) using my hands to get over the hurdles, or b) breaking several limbs.

In other news, we have a new recruit to the club, in the form of a rather lovely French girl... whilst my attempts at conversing in French were akin to Del Trotter in that bar in Spain, I managed to make her laugh.... and in the traditional style, she now thinks that when I’m not saving orphans or travelling the cultural delights of Europe, that I’m winning Fell races left right and centre and doing Bob Grahams for breakfast... rather than just being some utter peasant from Coventry...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

In other news, we have a new recruit to the club, in the form of a rather lovely French girl... whilst my attempts at conversing in French were akin to Del Trotter in that bar in Spain, I managed to make her laugh.... and in the traditional style, she now thinks that when I’m not saving orphans or travelling the cultural delights of Europe, that I’m winning Fell races left right and centre and doing Bob Grahams for breakfast... rather than just being some utter peasant from Coventry...
    And I understand she is an avid reader of this forum,(as one would expect any lovely French girl to be so) so your secrets wont be safe for long!!

All I know is I’ve got six days to learn some more “Citroen Manual” French before I see her again!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    All I know is I’ve got six days to learn some more “Citroen Manual” French before I see her again!
    Get some garlic down you Travs. She'll be all over you like a rash!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog