Page 1467 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 46796713671417145714651466146714681469147715171567 ... LastLast
Results 14,661 to 14,670 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Am I right in thinking you're a pretty handy road runner?
    Not really... Parkrun best of around 18:30, and did a track mile in about 5:20 a few weeks ago... just location dictates that I train/race for a road/xc/track based club. Most of my structured sessions are based around 5km/10km/marathon type sessions, and I have to fill in the hill-based stuff on my own, either on the treadmill or trips to the fells.

But I compete in the road Relays, and love the cross-country, and have done the odd track race too...

I do think that a lot of Fell-only runners do tend to neglect a bit of speedwork, to their cost.

Back from Turkey and a lovely 5 miles around Lathkill Dale in the rain. Bliss!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Club night tonight. A combination of the track/facilities current closure, holidays, and more torrential rain, meant a very low turnout tonight.... myself, another, and Katrina Wootton...

After giving her some valuable technical insight, such as “dig in” etc, she left for her own session, and two of us knocked out a short and steady 5 miles round the roads. Really struggling since last weekend’s race... the combination of the increased mileage, and a tough race, and I’m feeling it. Another couple of easy days required to get back on track.

My 3rd (and 4th) ever track races today.

Very nervously lined up for the 3000m steeplechase, having only been over about 15 hurdles in training, and never before attempted a water jump. Made a good go of the hurdles, going over all the normal hurdles pretty smoothly putting a foot on top. The water jump was a little more problematic... due to the colour of the track and water pit, I couldn’t judge the depth I was landing at, and was having to land almost two-footed, which lost me some momentum (although not as much as some of the others who used a variety of “techniques” to get over the barriers.

Finished in 12:42 but there would certainly be considerable time to come off that with practice.... the main aim today was to not hospitalise myself. I’d certainly like to race the s/c again in the future.

An hour later I ran in the 1500m, but rather stiff from the previous race, and finding myself well ahead of the guy behind me, and way behind the next guy in front I somewhat jogged it in, crossing the line in 5:42 (which incidentally is 20 seconds slower than I managed the track mile a few weeks back!)

Considering the fatigue I experienced during the week, I’m fairly happy with a weekly total of 44 miles and 10500ft.

No race for four weeks now. My intention is to spend the time doing my marathon training for the Snowdonia Marathon. I know I’ve got the legs to finish a marathon without issue, but hoping to put in some long hard road runs to hopefully give me some staying power and hopefully do myself justice with a reasonable time (my initial target for Snowdonia is 3:30).

Club night tonight. 5 x 1 mile with 90 seconds rest.

Couldn’t hold onto my usual target group who were bashing them out around or just under 6mins/mile. I dropped back into the next group who were more like 6:15-6:25mins/mile.

Still suffering a little from the accumulated fatigue in my legs over the past couple of weeks, but do feel like my legs are getting back to normal.

Super Moderator
    Six miles last night from Stanbury taking in Ponden Kirk, the Alcomden Stones and the trig up above Top Withins. Life affirming outing

After a somewhat steadier week last... around 37 miles and 12000ft, I felt a bit more confident of hitting the club session a little harder tonight...

8 x 800m.... 2 minutes rest after the first rep, with the rest decreasing by 10 seconds each rep...

Lungs and speed of recovery was good, but still a little stiff in the legs... ran reasonably well enough (knocking out the half mile reps in 3 minutes) but didn’t have the looseness and speed in the legs to go any faster... I’d be hoping to be another 7-10 seconds faster ideally.

But looking for the positives, it was good that I could consistently knock out the reps without slowing down, even when feeling heavy-legged.

9 miles tonight, of which 4 were effort.

2.5 miles today, 367ft climb, intervals of 90 seconds running / 30 seconds walking (yep I am doing a fell running mod of the couch to 5k) it was lovely, all misty and cool:

Imagine a really lovely photo here, all I got when trying to upload was a little telling off and some rather bizarre file size restrictions

"The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280."

11.5 miles around the university campus, roads, fields, of South-West Coventry this evening. Approx 7 miles steady, 2 miles of effort (approx 6min/miles), and 2.5 miles of tempo (or what I believe is tempo... I don’t really have much idea!)

Big hill session tomorrow hopefully, and hopefully a long run out on the roads on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    2.5 miles today, 367ft climb, intervals of 90 seconds running / 30 seconds walking (yep I am doing a fell running mod of the couch to 5k) it was lovely, all misty and cool:

Imagine a really lovely photo here, all I got when trying to upload was a little telling off and some rather bizarre file size restrictions

"The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280."

Good stuff... with the nature of Fell Running, you may find it preferable to try walking the ups (fairly fast walking if you can manage it) and then trying to run all the flat and downhill sections of your run.

This would very closely mimic what you would likely do in a race, so would be great practice and the natural terrain of the fells would provide the variety in pace.

Apologies if this doesn’t tie in with your level of fitness... it was just a suggestion...!