Page 1472 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 472972137214221462147014711472147314741482 ... LastLast
Results 14,711 to 14,720 of 14835

Thread: Today's Training

  1. #14711
    Senior Member DangerMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    237
    Thanks Travs ))

    Sounds like you are doing well despite not feeling fresh!

    I also didn't feel fresh today, but then 16 miles of what for me was fairly hard mountain biking the day before will do that hey!

    Even so, only slightly behind Mondays run: 3.32 miles, 351' climb in 38:17 mins!

    I admit, this one felt much tougher than Mondays run, but I definitely have a rest day tomorrow before the final session in my couch to 5K training on Friday!!

  2. #14712
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,931
    A steady treadmill hour uphill this evening... the equivalent of a flat “recovery run” but climbing...

    4.5 miles 2900ft

    Club night tomorrow where I’ll get some reasonable miles in, but nothing hard before racing Sunday.

  3. #14713
    Master PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mostly Worcestershire
    Posts
    1,316
    Stopped off in the lakes for a couple of nights on the way back home from Scotland. Yesterday saw a quick blast up Carl Side and Ullock Pike from Dodd Wood before the weather turned. 9km/700m

  4. #14714
    Senior Member DangerMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    237
    Ooof!

    Despite running out and up hill into winds of 15-25mph, todays training knocked a few minutes off the same route I have been doing for the last few runs: 3.29 miles, 363' climb in 35:27 mins

    That's the end of my couch to 5k training!

    I have a question, when I am warming up, a sort of fairly slow jog, I am gradually going uphill which means y the time I reach the steep bit I am feeling a bit out of breath and invariably end up walking the really steep bit. Which is fine and all, but I want to be able to bound up those hills without feeling like my lungs will collapse and my heart give out (okay I am exaggerating but you know what I mean), does anyone have any tips or advice for improving my performance on these steeper bits please?

    I am also wondering what to do next. Should I just jump into another training plan? Just run for a bit on the same route until it feels easy? Any suggestions welcome

    Thank you!

  5. #14715
    Master PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mostly Worcestershire
    Posts
    1,316
    Back home in the Midlands and felt like a change this morning so ran a generally good paced but flatter 12km out on the footpaths and bridal ways of North Worcestershire. No really big ascents but attacked each small climb full gas and recovered on the descent. Lovely weather for running - sunny, gentle breeze and cool enough for my training partner (the dog) to resume his role. Lovely stuff to take the edge off tomorrow's return to work. Now off to clean 2 weeks detritus from the campervan....

  6. #14716
    Senior Member DangerMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    237
    First day of running without my virtual coach yesterday, same as Friday more or less:

    3.32 miles, 365' climb in 36:16 mins

    Although I did stop to help a young lady with the harness on her horse, and to re-tie my shoe lace as it was too tight - so perhaps still a small improvement?
    Last edited by DangerMouse; 03-09-2019 at 12:36 PM.

  7. #14717
    Senior Member DangerMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    237
    Brilliant day today, decided to step things up a bit and I ran over the tops to go see my friend to do some work together, weather was erm, interesting to say the least!

    Distance 6.51 miles, took me 1:37:15, 566' climb, but I was also carrying a fairly heavy rucksack with computer, change of shoes/clothes, etc.

    I certainly didn't run all the way, it was almost impossible at times because the wind was literally blowing me off the path and i nearly ended up in the drink a few times... other times I had to run what felt like leaning 45 degrees sideways into the wind hehhe! Hilarious!!

    It pretty hard going, but feel good for doing it

    I imagine that the next run, without carrying anything is probably going to feel a lot lighter.

    Can I just say that the INOV8 merino base layer is absolutely bloomin fantastic - that's all I was wearing on my top half and I was never once uncomfortable in any way, despite being lashed with horizontal rain!

  8. #14718
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Ooof!

    Despite running out and up hill into winds of 15-25mph, todays training knocked a few minutes off the same route I have been doing for the last few runs: 3.29 miles, 363' climb in 35:27 mins

    That's the end of my couch to 5k training!

    I have a question, when I am warming up, a sort of fairly slow jog, I am gradually going uphill which means y the time I reach the steep bit I am feeling a bit out of breath and invariably end up walking the really steep bit. Which is fine and all, but I want to be able to bound up those hills without feeling like my lungs will collapse and my heart give out (okay I am exaggerating but you know what I mean), does anyone have any tips or advice for improving my performance on these steeper bits please?

    I am also wondering what to do next. Should I just jump into another training plan? Just run for a bit on the same route until it feels easy? Any suggestions welcome

    Thank you!
    My theory on improving uphill is that it is a sheer case of hard work, just got to work at it... run some uphill intervals, and gradually get used to the effort... (as opposed to descending which requires technique)

    Also with uphill running I try to tread lightly and keep a rhythm on my toes... it takes a lot to build the calves up but it will improve your speed in the long-term...

  9. #14719
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Brilliant day today, decided to step things up a bit and I ran over the tops to go see my friend to do some work together, weather was erm, interesting to say the least!

    Distance 6.51 miles, took me 1:37:15, 566' climb, but I was also carrying a fairly heavy rucksack with computer, change of shoes/clothes, etc.

    I certainly didn't run all the way, it was almost impossible at times because the wind was literally blowing me off the path and i nearly ended up in the drink a few times... other times I had to run what felt like leaning 45 degrees sideways into the wind hehhe! Hilarious!!

    It pretty hard going, but feel good for doing it

    I imagine that the next run, without carrying anything is probably going to feel a lot lighter.

    Can I just say that the INOV8 merino base layer is absolutely bloomin fantastic - that's all I was wearing on my top half and I was never once uncomfortable in any way, despite being lashed with horizontal rain!
    A bloke who runs over the hills in a gale and rain with a computer in his rucksack: clearly sufficiently bonkers to make an excellent fell-runner.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  10. #14720
    Senior Member DangerMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My theory on improving uphill is that it is a sheer case of hard work, just got to work at it... run some uphill intervals, and gradually get used to the effort... (as opposed to descending which requires technique)

    Also with uphill running I try to tread lightly and keep a rhythm on my toes... it takes a lot to build the calves up but it will improve your speed in the long-term...
    Thanks Travs, I thought this might be the case, but always worth an ask. as you never know. I have the perfect place to do this I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    A bloke who runs over the hills in a gale and rain with a computer in his rucksack: clearly sufficiently bonkers to make an excellent fell-runner.
    Hahaha well, for sure in spirit at least, even if never in actual reality!!

    Totally taking this as one of the best compliments I have ever been given - thank you

Similar Threads

  1. Today's DIY
    By Harry H Howgill in forum General chat!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-02-2015, 11:45 AM
  2. Today's Look Ma No Car!
    By Alexandra in forum Training
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 31-12-2011, 10:20 AM
  3. Today's BG training
    By mr brightside in forum Bob Graham
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-05-2010, 04:54 PM
  4. Today's DVD
    By Deejay in forum General chat!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •