Page 1473 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 47397313731423146314711472147314741475148315231573 ... LastLast
Results 14,721 to 14,730 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Another tip is to develop a fast power-walk... you’ll be surprised how much in races this will be needed... I can think of at least one Shropshire race where none of the climbs are runnable, except for the very best few.

You’ll need it a lot, and as well as building an efficient and comfortable technique, it’s also great work for the lungs and legs. Probably over 50% of my hill sessions are done at a fast power walk rather than full out running... this may be to my detriment, but find I can do day after day of this, and I’d class myself as a good climber (well much better than I can descend anyway).

If possible I’d also recommend some squats. I do these at the end of a session, and don’t “lift heavy”... possibly 20 or 30kg, or 50kg if I use the seated press. Again day after day of this seems to have given me a reasonable engine...

While I’m on a roll, I’d also recommend some quality sessions on the flat. Since I joined my local track/road/cross-country club, my performance has really increased (by my own meagre standards anyway).

Another one...! when I first started I used to hare off, even on long races, and spend time going backwards through the field for the remainder... I still start pretty hard, but I’ve found on longer races, where pacing is really key, is to go a little bit slower than you feel you can, and then “drop another gear” as well...

I tried this on the Peris Horseshoe one year. The year before I’d fell apart on the final descent, and was narrowly beaten down it by a fell-Walker. Used this method for the entire race (pretty important to pace it when the first climb alone is in the region of 45mins!) and I quite easily got a substantial pb...

Oh these all sound like great ideas! Thank you

Power walks up hill sound like my normal day to day life anyway, I climb 460' up a pretty steep road, or through even steeper woods, just to get home. I've definitely noticed a significant improvement in my ascents in the last 6 1/2 weeks of running. Part of the reason I started running again was because I was getting out of breath and not feeling very good just walking home. I feel much more like my self since starting and can walk home no problem now. In this sense I have already got from this what I wanted from it. The point now is that I am just enjoying it and generally feeling better in myself for it so want to continue, and continue to improve. I could definitely push myself a bit more on the walks home, for sure I will try this.

Flat sessions is probably a great idea, once I have made the ascent and I am on the relative flat or descents I feel like I can just carry on forever (I can't but I am sure you know what I mean).

Pacing, I think the pro-coaching from the Runkeeper app has stood me in good stead here, that and I am not a really a very competitive person and more out for this for the sheer pleasure of it and challenging and 'beating' myself.

Squats are incredibly difficult for me, I haven't mentioned it before because I don't want to make a thing of it, but I figured something would come up at some point that would mean talking about it, so it may as well be now. I was born with a club foot and had multiple surgeries when I was a baby to 'correct' this. So while my foot is facing forwards as normal there's significant difference in the size, flexibility and strength between my left and right feet/legs; For a long time I had hardly any muscle on my left calf, I have built this up quite a bit now, but I still overcompensate with my right leg. Anyway, the point being that my left foot will simply not move in the right way for me to do balanced squats like that, the bone is just in the wrong place. The only way I can do them is to stick my left foot out and to the side, then I can get down low enough, but I am not sure this is particularly helpful, or safe even. What I might do is go into the local gym, I know someone there who might be able to help me sort out equivalent exercises that accommodate my little hindrance.

Curiously, the doctors said I would never run - ha!

I wouldn’t really want to comment on alternative exercises... I am by no means a medical professional...! But there is a wealth of various experience on this forum, you very rarely see a training or health question which someone hasn’t come across at some point...

On a very slightly related point, I played football for 20 years and was completely left footed. Right foot was just for standing on. then got into kickboxing and was a pure southpaw... in a competitive fight I would very rarely throw anything from my weaker right side. I’m in no way comparing my situation with yours, but it left me with a very dominant left leg. Although to look (and indeed squat) on them, there is very little difference... but any time I get any strains or injuries from running, ie calf, Achilles, hamstrings, it’s 90% of the time on my weak side.

Except for curiously my current issue of a slightly strained hip flexor which is afflicting my good side at the moment.

Well done for proving the docs wrong...

I also just started up with fellracing to do something I’d always wanted to do, and use my relatively decent level of fitness. Thought i might do a race every 6 weeks or so. Four years later it’s my main passion and I probably race twice a month, despite living down in the Midlands!

Absolutely, I think we're all a little bit lopsided, just some of us a little more than others it would seem heh

I am extremely cautious when it comes to taking any advice about my, figuratively and literally speaking, achilles heel - I have had some very bad experiences where I have trusted people and it hasn't worked out well. That's on me. So, feel free to air any thoughts you may have, or not, in the knowledge that I am super aware of my own limitations and will ultimately make my own mind up, get several opinions, read online about stuff, etc.

I hope your hip flexor settles down soon!!

The main thing I have been very focussed on this time is training without injury. I am pushing, but not overdoing it. So far I seem to be keeping on the right side of that. The point being that I want to slowly build up a lot of strength, there is no rush.

That's amazing - good effort!! I don't know if I will end up there... lets see

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Another tip is to develop a fast power-walk... you’ll be surprised how much in races this will be needed... I can think of at least one Shropshire race where none of the climbs are runnable, except for the very best few.
    Callow for one but there again I think most Shropshire climbs are un-runnable!

Nothing wrong with a good power walk and when you get to my age, you realise that even if you can still run a climb, you probably can walk it quicker and have more left in the tank for the next one. Races these days (and training to some extent) are a matter of getting this balance right.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Yes I was thinking Callow for unrunnable... although I ran half the first climb this year (which probably explains why I ended up being considerably slower than the previous year!)

As long as you run any sections where you are in view of the public/walkers/marshalls...!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    As long as you run any sections where you are in view of the public/walkers/marshalls...!
    Ha - of course! 😁

Stopped off at the Clent Hills on the way home and did an AS. 10km/500m. Lovely evening for it but felt stiff and sluggish after a hard week back at work after 2 weeks off. Rest day tomorrow and then a long run planned for Sunday.

I resumed training in today after illness keeping me off for the best part of a week... I’m blaming the pigeons who spent their lunchtime attacking me and sitting in my dinner in Waterloo Station a week ago...

A fairly steady 3 miles and 2750ft but should pave the way to a couple of reasonable days over the weekend... a couple of good sessions in the week, and then the mighty LDMT a week on Sunday... hot on the heels of that, it’s the road Relays the week after, followed by the awesome Peris Horseshoe the following week...