Page 1481 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 48198113811431147114791480148114821483149115311581 ... LastLast
Results 14,801 to 14,810 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Since I took up kickboxing early in the 2010’s I’ve thankfully never needed to use it in a “street” situation... I guess it just helps you realise that’s all a load of bollocks and not worth it... in fact there was one occasion when I was threatened with a golf club during a football match, but I was able to diffuse the situation without resorting to violence... (I think a couple of people had a quiet word in his ear and he thought better of it).

But I was never really a fighter.... I didn’t get into it to prove anything, it was just a tough sport and I had no intention of fighting... until I got competent then it was natural to want to test myself... in fact the thing I miss most is the teaching I used to do at my club...

Back to running and a fairly brisk 4.5 miles and 1400ft this morning to get back into the swing of things, and a steady club run tonight, perhaps no more than 8 miles... cross country season is imminent, and Snowdonia Marathon rapidly approaching, not to mention the first Shropshire Fell Champs race in 10 days, so a lot of conflicting priorities...

Good runs, 1400ft over 4.5 miles isn’t to be sneezed at.

Met a man in a carpark the other day who highly recommended the Snowdonia Marathon — I’ve just taken a gander and it looks great… Completely sickening that the winners are coming in with times I’d be happy to finish a flat mara in. Good luck with it.

Yes it’s pretty amazing... I’d like to go back to my club and have posted a reasonable time... although there’s a good deal of admiration for fellrunning, and several people getting more interested in racing with me... I still think the general vibe is that the admiration is for the toughness and resourcefulness, rather than any talent, and that I need a good road time to be taken completely seriously...

I’d love to go back having posted close to 3hrs30, which would I guess give me half a chance of a 3hr flat marathon in the following year... but with my disrupted training of late, and the amount of races between now and Snowdonia, I just can’t quite see me pulling it off...

Then again, a 3hr31 marathon is “only” 8 minute miling by my reckoning, surely even on a hilly course like that, I can get within striking distance, based on my current training level...

Only 3 weeks to wait to find out!

Oh goodness yes - definitely a load of bollocks, I love watching this kind of crap in films and the like but it does make me laugh when they pretend to land these almighty punches and they carry on as if nothing happened - it is total fantasy!! Thank goodness for civilised society and that we don't live like this any more. I definitely have nothing to prove, to myself or anyone else

---

Yes, back to training and ... whoa!!!

I decided to switch back to my longer route today, I was missing the route itself and thought I shouldn't concentrate too much on one thing: I think I am in a funny kind of very pleasant shock:

3.12 miles, 337' climb in 31:15 mins!!

Oh my god - what happened?? :-O

That's 6 minutes better than my previous best!!!

SIX MINUTES!!

What the frack?

A tougher than anticipated session this evening... A 7 mile road run in the wind/rain/dark... but with the variation in abilities within the group, we did about 5 hard efforts of up to a mile, then the faster of us would double back and join those at the back until we were all together again... helping to keep it as a group session.

I pushed it a bit harder than would’ve liked... as usual got involved in chasing someone down each time... with my own extensive warmup gave a total of 10.5 miles, of which somewhere between 4 and 5 were hard effort, and a total of 15 miles for the day.

A character building session for some of the newer members no doubt... dark, windy, wet and not particularly warm... but there will be plenty worse to come when the weather turns nasty.

Tomorrow not planning to cover more than about 10 miles in total but will be looking to really put in some good ascent.

Woken up with a few new aches and pains!! But feeling totally blown away by yesterdays run!

I am afraid I cannot really cope much longer here with the constant Brexit vibes - it's ruining the forum - we're supposed to be talking about running

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

I am afraid I cannot really cope much longer here with the constant Brexit vibes - it's ruining the forum - we're supposed to be talking about running
    So why have you brought Brexit up on the Todays Training thread?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Because that is the reason I am leaving and wanted to let the people here know and they like all right thinking people also don't pay any attention to that awful thread of doom!

Kindly leave me in peace - thank you!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I just steer clear of that thread (and any others in a similar vein.) Don't let that put you off the rest of the forum - there are mainly good people on here. Shame to let a few bullies hiding behind pseudonyms spoil it for the majority. I'm sure that has more than contributed to the lower numbers on here of late.

Anyway, back on topic. Today's training is an hour of hill reps and its going to hurt....

I’m active on a couple of other forums (football and music), but not as active as I am on here... and the Brexit debate on this one is by far the least ferocious..... I recall on the music one, one angry punter requesting a meeting with someone else on Tottenham Court Road for a dust-up....!

That said, I think I’ve made one post on that thread, and I don’t even read it now... really don’t think it warrants leaving the forum, it’s easy to ignore...

I did an hour, 4.5 miles and 2750ft in a very warm gym... hoping to do similar this evening, and may even risk a Parkrun in the morning...