Page 1483 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 48398313831433147314811482148314841485149315331583 ... LastLast
Results 14,821 to 14,830 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Super Moderator
    Parkrun followed by a 5.5 mile walk by the canal

Did a slow jog up the newlands valley, high spy, maiden moor and fast down the side of catbells yesterday. Today, the tapering starts when the hangover stops. 🤢

Parkrun on Saturday for speed and the 2.5 hrs running around Otley Chevin today, including 3 ascents. Tour of Pendle training continues.

After the embarrassment yesterday of losing a walking-race to my 5 year old nephew (although he ran all but the first 5 yards... as he then excitedly explained to his parents “I runned in the walking race and beat Pete....”)

I decided to punish myself with a very hot and sweaty 90 minute treadmill session. 9.5 miles 2400ft.

Brings the total for the week up to a respectable 42 miles and 9800ft, which considering I didn’t run at all until Thursday, isn’t too bad.

Felt like a new person today compared to yesterday’s Parkrun. The form will come back. My only worry is not being able to get many/any 20 mile-ish runs in before the Snowdonia Marathon in three weeks, due to a proliferation of Fell race and cross country commitments. Perhaps I’ll have to make do with the fact that I’m doing a fair mileage, and chance it on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    After the embarrassment yesterday of losing a walking-race to my 5 year old nephew (although he ran all but the first 5 yards... as he then excitedly explained to his parents “I runned in the walking race and beat Pete....”)

I decided to punish myself with a very hot and sweaty 90 minute treadmill session. 9.5 miles 2400ft.

Brings the total for the week up to a respectable 42 miles and 9800ft, which considering I didn’t run at all until Thursday, isn’t too bad.

Felt like a new person today compared to yesterday’s Parkrun. The form will come back. My only worry is not being able to get many/any 20 mile-ish runs in before the Snowdonia Marathon in three weeks, due to a proliferation of Fell race and cross country commitments. Perhaps I’ll have to make do with the fact that I’m doing a fair mileage, and chance it on the day.
    Though I'm not a great fan of road running, I do like the Snowdonia Marathon. I first did it in 1985, when I lived there, in 3.30. Did it again 30 years later and managed 4.05. I'll do it again in 2025. Lovely views and it goes past so many crags I've climbed on. One benefit of a road race is you can look at the view, whereas in a Fell Race it may go through lovely scenery, but your looking at the ground ahead all the way. I often go back and walk fell races with my wife, so I can appreciate the views.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Both the Severn and Avon are very high. No major flooding yet but only a matter of time given the sodden state of the land around here.
    Where do you live? I was brought up on Bredon Hill - ran over it the other day visiting my sister in Ashton under Hill. Done Evesham parkrun when visiting, but now blessed to live in Yorkshire.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Where do you live? I was brought up on Bredon Hill - ran over it the other day visiting my sister in Ashton under Hill. Done Evesham parkrun when visiting, but now blessed to live in Yorkshire.
    Bredon Hill is a good run. I was on the Malverns a week ago thinking I should have a run over there soon.
    I live just outside of Halesowen so not really proper Worcestershire but all my running and cycling is out that way. (I get a visual on the two rivers on a regular basis!) My local hills are Clent which account for at least two runs and a few dog walks each week. Not done Evesham Park run but have done their 10k many a time. Worcester is my preferred local park run though not done that for 4 years either mores the pity. Planning a return some time soon.

An extremely hot hour on the treadmill at 15% gradient. Managed 3250ft through a combination of hard power-walking and intervals of running.

It's not fell-running, but I defy anybody to say it's not a useful workout, and it is certainly very tough. That said I could probably find another couple of hundred feet at least with a "race head" on.

This week I want another session similar to today, and a hard flat session, which will come tomorrow at club night. The rest will be steady (I've heard that one before!).

Club night tonight and 8 x 800m on road/path/gravel. 2mins rest after the first rep, with each rest period decreasing by 10 seconds, so that between 7 and 8 you are down to 1min rest.

Fairly straightforward stuff to keep the reps consistent until about rep 5 or 6, then gets exponentially difficult for the remainder.

Kept them fairly consistent at around 5:45/min pace. 6 miles of which 4 were good effort. Plus 4 miles/1200ft this morning. Felt good tonight.

Steady day tomorrow, hopefully another decent haul of miles, but nothing too taxing.

4 miles easy last night
    4 miles easy the night before
    (trail) marathon on Sunday…