Page 1520 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 520102014201470151015181519152015211522153015701620 ... LastLast
Results 15,191 to 15,200 of 16908

Thread: Today's Training

A shorty today. 3.12 miles, 27 minutes, a loop around Witton.

I've started work pre 6:30 Monday / Tuesday and both days just been piled up with orders and similar today, with already enough to keep me going until 3 ish. In many ways it's great, but it makes getting out for decent run difficult.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    400s can be a tough session, but I always found 500s worse. Must be something to do with the distance and energy systems used.
    1km's and 1 miles seem to hurt me the most. Short enough to be uncomfortably quick, but long enough to be incredibly fatiguing after a few reps.

Last summers Track Mile race was probably pound-for-pound the most painful race I've ever done.
    Last edited by Travs; 01-07-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    400s can be a tough session, but I always found 500s worse. Must be something to do with the distance and energy systems used.
    I always do shorter reps these days, as they are, or were, done with 9-12 year olds. We might run hard for a minute or so, but it is usually less than that, but fast of course. One of my juniors beat Killian down Seat Sandal on his record breaking round.
    We were repeatedly told on the level 2 coaching course days not to do 400 metre reps with juniors, but that 300s and 500s were OK - it was felt that 400s tempted them to unwittingly abuse their energy systems - something that adolescence sorted out.
    It was Killian's book on mountain running that finally persuaded me that running slow to run fast probably had some logic to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I always do shorter reps these days, as they are, or were, done with 9-12 year olds. We might run hard for a minute or so, but it is usually less than that, but fast of course. One of my juniors beat Killian down Seat Sandal on his record breaking round.
    We were repeatedly told on the level 2 coaching course days not to do 400 metre reps with juniors, but that 300s and 500s were OK - it was felt that 400s tempted them to unwittingly abuse their energy systems - something that adolescence sorted out.
    It was Killian's book on mountain running that finally persuaded me that running slow to run fast probably had some logic to it.

This is something that has taken me such a long time to figure out... but has become more emphasised over my furlough period and a large increase in mileage.

Realising that i'll never be able to run my hard sessions properly unless I start being a lot more sensible on my steady runs.

It still takes a lot of discipline to listen to your own thoughts and advice though! I saw it summed up best on a recent YouTube video, where the guy said we all like to constantly train in a higher 'training zone' as it makes us feel like we are benefiting and working hard.

It was another club challenge day today, a 2 or 4 mile run. Whichever you feel like.

I've had a tight right calf since my little run the other day, so wasn't going to venture out, but got a call from Mrs WP at 6:40. She'd arrived at work and inadvertently took something I needed at 9:00am so I decided to do an out and back.

3 miles there 26:43
    3 miles back 25:19

I submitted miles 5&6 for the challenge in 16:32

Wet through, but glad I did it.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Well done WP. I’ve gone from doing loads and being the fittest I’ve been in years to sitting about with a bag of frozen peas on my leg praying my shin splints ease quickly
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Well done WP. I’ve gone from doing loads and being the fittest I’ve been in years to sitting about with a bag of frozen peas on my leg praying my shin splints ease quickly
    it didn't qualify for your thread, but live to fight another day
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    It’s always good to see anyone’s been out running anywhere (well apart from the track obviously)

‘My thread’ was an attempt to get some fellrunning discussion going and not aimed at setting up an alternative to this or any others

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    It’s always good to see anyone’s been out running anywhere (well apart from the track obviously)

‘My thread’ was an attempt to get some fellrunning discussion going and not aimed at setting up an alternative to this or any others
    Nowt wrong with the track...!!

Super Moderator
    It was a joke Travs. And anyway all the hamsters going round in circles leave room elsewhere for other runners