Page 1524 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 524102414241474151415221523152415251526153415741624 ... LastLast
Results 15,231 to 15,240 of 16911

Thread: Today's Training

Racing training starting in earnest now there's a target to aim for. 10000ft steady climb in last two days. Not pleasant, not particularly enjoyable. But good solid work.

Also weighed in at 79kg. Which is the lightest i've been since my last kickboxing fight in 2015 (and even then i only dropped down to 78kg for a few days before and up to the fight.

Will be interesting to see how that weight is affected once the gym opens on saturday and weight training starts again.
    Last edited by Travs; 21-07-2020 at 11:04 AM.

4 x 1250mtr reps (the 1st lap of the local parkrun), with decreasing rest between each one (2:30, 2:00, 1:30)

Consistent at 5:55/mile pace. Had hoped to get in a 5th after a final 1:00 rest but couldn't move.

Learnt the value of my GPS watch though today. Without it i'd have jacked it in after 3 reps as i was feeling totally trashed, and felt that i'd fallen apart completely during the 3rd rep. But my watch was showing that i had still been consistent through the rep and it was just physical pain rather than complete loss of pace, so i felt i could push for a 4th rep (which was incredibly unpleasant, but again maintained the average pace with a huge final effort).

Booked the track for a week tomorrow and hoping to attempt either a 5km or Track Mile, depending on how fresh i feel... with gyms opening at the weekend the chances of me trashing my legs with strength work are pretty high, and a "fast" 5km next week might be a stretch!

First "effort" since weekend. Felt a little light headed this week as if I've got a slight lurgy, but off I went.
    Did feel a bit weary, but at least I got a pleasant early morning run in around Witton. Felt more like a nice March morning though than a July one.

4.02 miles, 35:33
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Been back to "The Green Green Grass of Home" for the first time this year. 3 days tidying up my late mums house in Llani and no internet!
    Last evening a run up Bryn y Fan, from Y Fan, 6 miles and 1'200 feet. A slowish time of 75 mins due to recceing a wild camp and ending up in waist high bracken and not being able to spot the sheep trods! Perfect conditions for running and a bit of drizzle on the top.
    Refreshed with a couple of pints of Butty Bach in the beer garden of The Angel.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Club session from last week, not done until this morning... 3 x 5mins with 2mins rests. Then 5 x 1min (1min rests).

Nothing remarkable to report, other than the gym being back open! Straight back into a full session, although tried not to go overboard, having done very little apart from bodyweight work since march.

Those who are into climbing may well have previously come across the perpetual rope climbing machines... basically a long rope coiled round a wheel at the top, you sit/stand and continually pull the rope down towards you. They've had one of these for ages and i find it a great way of getting shoulder and arm work . But now they also have a horizontal one, which looks similar to a rowing machine in that you sit on a seat and pull the rope towards you... the burn from that was absolutely ferocious!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Club session from last week, not done until this morning... 3 x 5mins with 2mins rests. Then 5 x 1min (1min rests).

Nothing remarkable to report, other than the gym being back open! Straight back into a full session, although tried not to go overboard, having done very little apart from bodyweight work since march.

Those who are into climbing may well have previously come across the perpetual rope climbing machines... basically a long rope coiled round a wheel at the top, you sit/stand and continually pull the rope down towards you. They've had one of these for ages and i find it a great way of getting shoulder and arm work . But now they also have a horizontal one, which looks similar to a rowing machine in that you sit on a seat and pull the rope towards you... the burn from that was absolutely ferocious!
    Sounds like good Tug of War training Travs!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Certainly good arm/shoulder work without having to resort to isolation exercises (which i'm not a big fan of).

Despite the minor inconvenience of wrenching my entire big toenail out playing football with my nephew yesterday, i wasn't going to be prevented from finishing the week solidly and posting up a total of 77 miles and 15,450ft.

A pleasing week as it included a quite encouraging rep session where i held it together against the odds, and then the gyms re-opening.

Next week i'm hoping to get in a track 5km effort if feeling fresh (might revert to a track mile if i've got any doubts about fatigue though). Can i get to the longed-for 18mins mark...? i've certainly got the ability to run at the required pace for several km (in fact i ran a 3000mtrs last summer in 10:45 which is 17:55 5km pace... but can i string 5km together in non-race conditions?

Although really the big target is 13 days time and a return to the fells.

plenty of excuses for missing a few days training over the weekend.

Baby sitting granddaughter Friday and through to Saturday morning.

Viewing some motorhomes Saturday afternoon.

Piss-poor weather Sunday, lots of orders clocking up so got some done to take pressure off Monday, Burnley on the box (shouldn't have bothered )

Monday just pulled out with work.

None of them valid really.

I think mostly there's just an expectation of some half decent weather. It is July after all and I bought some new shades 1st week June and I've only managed to run in them once.

Anyway, back at it today with a canal progression run of 4.28 miles, 36:20 broken down by mile to 9:05, 8:47, 8:13, 7:59 with 7:53 pace for the part 5th mile at end.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 28-07-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

We had a simple club session... 7 miles... odd numbered miles easy, even numbered hard.

I ran the hard miles a lot easier than i usually would due to plans for later in the week, but a good leg-stretcher.

Really noticing the fact that the gym is back open and i've been giving the strength and conditioning side a good hammering. Legs are protesting a little this afternoon!