Page 1531 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 531103114311481152115291530153115321533154115811631 ... LastLast
Results 15,301 to 15,310 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Mossdog i recall discussing indoor-rowing with you elsewhere on the forum...

If remember rightly you were on about 46 or 47 mins for 10km and looking to knock some time off... very impressive to get down to 43mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Mossdog i recall discussing indoor-rowing with you elsewhere on the forum...

If remember rightly you were on about 46 or 47 mins for 10km and looking to knock some time off... very impressive to get down to 43mins.
    Cheers Travs. But looking at your training regime (and Mike T's weekly tally) makes me feel breathless as my efforts are very modest in comparison. You did indeed provide me with some extremely helpful advice when I first bought the erg a couple of years ago.

I now clock up on average about 40k a week. I think improvements stem from mastering the technique (there are some handy Youtube vids from Dark Horse Rowing and Training Tall to mention a couple) and consistent good form, as well as improved core-strength. Whenever I've not been able to row for a couple of weeks, such as when on holiday, on return I always feel the upper abs tighten.

I've dallied with some shorter distance sprints (2K) but have had some scary moments cardiac-wise ( ) and so now judiciously stick to the longer distances where I seem better suited. My max distance in one session was 20K, but I found the gnawing pain of the teeth grinding tedium just too much!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Yes the 2km is a beast of a distance, and i can see why it's the Olympic standard distance!

Technique is paramount... i found by dropping my stroke rate and concentrating on pulling harder, i was able to make some big improvements. Think i was hitting about 33spm when i set my best times... but then you see the Olympic level rowers are able to manage such a strong pull at much closer to 40spm, it's mind-blowing!

Weighed myself again this morning, and pleased to still be 79.5kg... so my fear of putting weight back on due to the gyms re-opening seems to be unfounded. Of course i need to stay disciplined with mileage and diet.

Dufton village, along the race route to High Cup Nick, then a right turn (east) at the top to return down the 'wrong' side, to Harbour Flats Farm and then along the seemingly never-ending lane back to Dufton. 12.3 miles, 1670 feet, at a pedestrian 2 hrs 37 mins (I'm blaming it on all the ruddy bracken).

'Today's wildlife encounter' included a group of 8 soaring buzzards and, at the stile midway up High Cup Nick Gill a (I think) gossander - a duck with saw-like teeth?. The fell was also patterned with blue scabious, grass of parnasus, and limitless tormentil.

An addition to the 'things found whilst on a run' thread, was a near pristine sandwich box, sadly empty of any cake or sarnies.

Running back through the village to the car, clutching a sandwich box, surely meant I lost any lingering iota of fell runner's panache I might have had . Still just got to the car before the heavens opened, so that's a well timed plus.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Tonight's RATRun was from The Barrel Inn, Bretton. On arrival it was surprisingly busy for a horribly wet evening and two motorcyclist were being filmed going up and down the road outside the pub.It turned out that The Hairy Bikers were filming in the area and by the time we set off they were drying off in the pub.

Seven of us set off down into Bretton Clough on the 8 mile and 1,300feet route which was a loop taking in Abney and Shatton moors. Very wet and muddy in places and it was good to be in the Mudclaws again.

Back at the Barrel it was nice and quiet as the Hairy Bikers and entourage had moved on but someone did mention that they could have stayed and cooked us some cheesy chips!

As it turned out the cheesy chips were delicious and were washed down with a very quaffable Marston's Pedigree.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Super Moderator
    Relieved to hear that the Barrel is still open and super pleased to see you had cheesy chips after last week’s disappointment
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Track session this morning. 4 x 1km reps, 200 metres recovery in between.

3:41, 3:38, 3:37, 3:38...... slightly disappointed with those times, and in my upcoming 3000m race it would appear that i'm going to have to work hard to get under 11mins, which would be a bit of a disappointment having ran 10:48 last year.

On the other hand, i had a bruising 17 mile race last sunday, and squeezed in a fairly hard club session on tuesday night (on legs that were far from fresh), so it was perhaps a bit much to ask to hit the splits i was after.

Hopefully fresh legs and the occasion of a race will spur me on to a pb!

Langdon Beck, Saur Hill Bridge, down the Pennine Way to Cronkley Bridge, then swing west along the Tees to Merrygill. Join the Cronkley Fell race route, over Cronkley (slight detour to the trig), swing left (NE) off the race route to rejoin the PW at Bracken Rigg, and then head north, over Cronkley Bridge again and back along Marwood Beck. 9 miles, 977 feet, 1 hr 38 mins.

Cool persistent NW wind. Temp: 9.5 degrees at Langdon Beck. Autumn is here! Lots of Wheatears along the Tees.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Weekly total, 63 miles and 10,400ft.

Fairly pleasing numbers, given that was off the back of a long race last sunday, and included two tough midweek sessions.

Next week will be a non-starter in terms of any productive training... an AS tomorrow, and 3000m track race next sunday, i'm just going to have to keep it very easy in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Weekly total, 63 miles and 10,400ft.

Fairly pleasing numbers, given that was off the back of a long race last sunday, and included two tough midweek sessions.

Next week will be a non-starter in terms of any productive training... an AS tomorrow, and 3000m track race next sunday, i'm just going to have to keep it very easy in between.
    WOW! That's a massive achievement Travs. Really well done. I'd say you deserve a rest this forthcoming week, but I imagine your idea of a rest and mine are somewhat different!
    Am Yisrael Chai