Page 1537 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 537103714371487152715351536153715381539154715871637 ... LastLast
Results 15,361 to 15,370 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

The first headteacher of the season yesterday evening around the Ingleton Waterfalls Trail. Our plan had been to also have a quick dip (by head torch) in the Chemist's Hole near to the finish but, after all the rain, the pool was actually a fast flowing river rapid so we “rapidly” knocked that idea on the head
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 25-09-2020 at 12:37 PM.

A new one for me today. From Llyn Brenig which is a few miles north of the A5, roughly half way distance between Llangollen and Betws Y Coed.

From there my plan was to take as direct route as possible in the vaguely West direction, towards the farm cottage I'm now in, just outside Betws.

I figured perhaps 12-13 miles, but ended up 15 (and 1900ft). A few issues increased the length... Some of my intended paths through the impenetrable forestry areas didn't exist on the ground... Then once on open fell it became apparent that any beeline needed to be abandoned in favour of picking out the very few footpaths and farm tracks in the area, as anything off piste meant battling with the worst tussocks I've ever come across.... And an encounter with a field full of disgruntled cows and their young, a mile from home, meant a large detour.

Still a lovely 3hrs out, wide open spaces and views. The view of most of Snowdonia stretched out on the western horizon was most inspiring (and daunting, given my date with the 3000ers tomorrow).
    Last edited by Travs; 25-09-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Friday afternoon and my now customary run to the hills after work, yielded 500m ascent in just over 9km. A blustery day but intermittent autumn sunshine made it a quite pleasant run out despite the portent of room from the weather app on my phone.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A new one for me today. From Llyn Brenig which is a few miles north of the A5, roughly half way distance between Llangollen and Betws Y Coed.

From there my plan was to take as direct route as possible in the vaguely West direction, towards the farm cottage I'm now in, just outside Betws.

I figured perhaps 12-13 miles, but ended up 15 (and 1900ft). A few issues increased the length... Some of my intended paths through the impenetrable forestry areas didn't exist on the ground... Then once on open fell it became apparent that any beeline needed to be abandoned in favour of picking out the very few footpaths and farm tracks in the area, as anything off piste meant battling with the worst tussocks I've ever come across.... And an encounter with a field full of disgruntled cows and their young, a mile from home, meant a large detour.

Still a lovely 3hrs out, wide open spaces and views. The view of most of Snowdonia stretched out on the western horizon was most inspiring (and daunting, given my date with the 3000ers tomorrow).
    I have often looked at this area on my way to Snowdonia and wondered. Not sure if your review has enticed me to jump out of the van next time I'm on the way to Betws though! 😁
    Good luck for the 3000s

It is a beautiful area, far-reaching views everywhere... Especially west to Snowdonia and south across the "Vale of the A5"... And needless to say, once on the open fell I didn't see a soul.

I'd recommend a visit even if just for a drive round, if you've never been up that way.
    Last edited by Travs; 25-09-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Super Moderator
    Skipton to Grassington today on the Lady Anne’s Way
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Firth Fell and Buckden Pike today from Kettlewell. 13 and a smidge miles and 3,300 feet. A fantastically muddy one

Super Moderator
    Cool breeze in Wharfedale today ‘beast
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It was damn “cool” up top for sure

A very steady run out over and around Great Orme and Llandudno.

Really is some great running to be had up there. Hills, lovely off road running, and a long winding road around the edge of the Orme. Was a shame I couldn't get out of 3rd gear today!

Also made me wonder why so many Brits insist on going to dumps like Blackpool and Skegness, when somewhere like Llandudno is equally accessible, has the same amenities, yet pulls it off without being a rancid hell-hole.

Without checking, think I'm on about 67 miles and 17000ft for the week. Plans for next week are to keep the miles high, less hills, and hit a fairly hard (but not race pace) 10km next weekend.
    Last edited by Travs; 27-09-2020 at 12:46 PM.