Page 1539 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 539103914391489152915371538153915401541154915891639 ... LastLast
Results 15,381 to 15,390 of 16908

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A well-timed run over Buck Hill and the Outwoods: starting as one shower was fading away, and getting back home a few minutes before the next heavy shower started.

Noticed running footsteps not far behind me just as I started the long, gentle climb up the footpath to the Outwoods. I thought, "They will soon be past me", so was rather surprised when, as I continued up the path, the footsteps gradually faded into the distance. I glanced back as I went through the gate into the woods, and saw that it was a young lady, now a good 20 metres behind me.

Two possible explanations for her not coming past me:-

1. She was concerned that one of us might be an asymptomatic Covid carrier, and might pass it to the other one.

2. I have retained a smidgen of my old uphill speed (given the total time for the run, I certainly haven't retained much overall speed; not that I was ever very fast).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Anthony I've read enough old Fellrunner race reports to know that "not that I was ever very fast" is being slightly modest!

Club night tonight, some of it in tropical levels of downpour.

15 x approximately quarter mile reps on the road, 60secs rest.

Half the reps slightly uphill, and the other half (would you believe) slightly down. Tried to keep them all consistent, and managed to hold them at 82-83secs, until the final three, when the wheels fell off a little and I was down to 85-86secs.

8 miles.
    Last edited by Travs; 06-10-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Another of my 'solo' fell races for me yesterday evening, my 21st solo fell race since the beginning of April. This time a 6.75 mile loop over Whernside from Station Inn, taking the 2.5 mile line up old walkers path (jolly steep - it runs parallel to the 3P fell race line) and then hurtling back down the 4 and a bit mile slab and boulder strewn 'new' walkers path.

I didn't manage a pb unfortunately (close but no cigar) but I was disrupted somewhat by having to break off the ascent for a wild poo. And also my legs took a while to get going after a tough CrossFit session in the morning.

Yet again though another fell race win for me. Although I do need to try and not come last all the time....

Got a steady 14 miles and 2800ft in today. Instead of my usual drive to the gym, i elected to run there and back (2 miles each way). It was noticeable how tough a simple 2 mile run home was after doing a load of weight work (squats, inverted presses, hip thrusts, hamstrings).

Master
    An interesting paper on the - possible - benefits of HIIT. I do it twice a week. (endorsing Adam Thwaites, Staveley - he did the Brathay 10 in 10 some years back - tough cookie)

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m3485

To get the best out of HIIT/interval/rep training you need to build a good cardio base too though... i think that is generally forgotten, certainly amongst the average gym-going population.

When people ask me for training advice (the poor souls!!) i always advise to build up with steady running. When i get asked "i want to do more, what sessions can i do?" i usually say adding in another session per week of steady running is the best way to progress.

Then once someone can go out nearly every day and run easily without issue, then its time to think about HIIT.

The trouble is, to the average person, steady running is boring and HIIT is "exciting". So steady exercise gets discarded and then you have injuries and/or lack of improvement.

nb: all of the above is purely my opinion and certainly not scientifically backed!
    Last edited by Travs; 09-10-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Up Beacon Hill via Buck Hill. Unlike my last post on this thread, not a trace of my old uphill speed. In fact, I felt like I was running on empty the whole way, but at least I got round without having to walk (except on the steep bits).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I've never gotten involved in the world of prescribed and structured training systems, the lack of common ground and a unified grounding theory has always put me off. Like the search for an explanation for gravity, there seems to be surprisingly little agreement among the experts and too many questions. To add to this nobody I know of is addressing the role of mind in physical performance. The value of maximum output given conditions as a constant is flexible; flexible in terms of muscle fibre output and flexible in terms of the level of suffering one can endure. Some know this concept as the Central Governor. I read recently that 70 percent of your weekly miles should be long slow runs! I can't see Seb Coe's dad agreeing with that.

My entire training is based on the philosophy of a Japanese sword maker. I place relentless focus on and commit utter dedication to total perfection of certain key skills I was born to carry out. My execution of these very specific activities is carried out with the utmost dedication and I always aim to allow my work to speak for itself in the field of battle. Like the great Samauri, boastfulness would bring dishonour and it would be a privilege to die in the field.

Closed fist meets open palm.

Btw, I call this the Yang method.

Ran over the full Black Mountains race today. Absolutely gorgeous day. Cold and one spell of rain to start, but otherwise bright, sunny and increasingly warm.

Wanted to have a look at a couple of things... for those who know the route, there's a long downhill traverse after Pen Twyn Glas to the bottom of the climb up Pen Y Gadair. I experimented with staying on the ridge for an extra mile, and then a straight descent down to the stream crossing before PYG.

In my view it's definitely not a timesaver.

Also running with me was occasional forumite TrevorM, and was able to show him the tricky forest section, and the final couple of miles back into Llanbedr, which are both traps for newcomers to the race.

Took it steady, around 4hrs55.

Brings the weekly total to 65 miles 10,500ft. And another 10 weeks over, with an average of 58 miles and 10,800ft/week. That's now 30 weeks averaging north of 55 miles per week, so a solid base.

Going into the next ten weeks, not a great deal planned, as i don't expect many races. Hopefully the Black Mountains race may get ran as planned, either as a race or even a MapRun, but not holding my breath. So possibly look at ramping the training miles up a little.