Page 1541 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 541104114411491153115391540154115421543155115911641 ... LastLast
Results 15,401 to 15,410 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

"Training" is a funny thing for me to define as far as fell running is concerned. I usually run everyday but on a couple of days each week those 'runs' might just be a local 2 mile jog around the river with the dogs. Another 3 will be longer run outs, with Hester and the dogs, with us usually fitting in bigger expeditions in say the Lakes at the weekend and what not. We sometimes blast known strava segments on these runs and sometimes push it quite hard but mostly its all about be out in the wilderness and mountains adventuring... with I guess our preferred mode of travel while adventuring being fell and/or trail running. With covid we don't really bother with any club runs right now (Hester used to try and go once a week) but we do usually also fit in one mid-week evening run out with two or three running friends which are mostly steady away fun social runs. And currently I'm doing my one solo fell race, speed blast, time attack each week which, of it all, is the most like 'training' in that it hurts and I'm going full at it. Oh and I also try to do two CrossFit 'engine' gym sessions a week, which also hurt and are also full on. My weekly mileage is in the 30 to 50 mile range and weekly ascent anything between 5,000 feet and 15,000 feet I guess. I guess that's training then but it all feels nicely in balance, without continually pushing things and never a grind.

Maybe when fell, trail and ultra races come back I'll have a bit more speed, strength and endurance and do a bit better, but if I don't who cares

Street hill reps for me today. Unremarkable except that up to Sunday I'd had 8 days off running with a cold, then very short/easy on Sunday (fine), usual weekday 11.5km on Monday that was ok, and then the same again yesterday that felt desperate. Following that I'd planned an easy run today but felt ok when I left the house and ended up cruising what can feel like hard session sometimes. Weird, though I think I've had it before where I really struggle one day and then feel great the day after.
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Up to Beacon Hill, back via Windmill Hill.

By the path up to the summit of Beacon Hill there was a woman sheltering under a tree with two small children. I somehow found the breath to call out to her, "The rain isn't going to stop!"; and then found myself slowing to a walk on the final short steep push to the summit.

Earlier in the morning, Beacon Hill had been concealed in clag, and I was a little disappointed that it had cleared by the time I went up there. But having a clear view didn't stop me making a daft nav error, going back down the way I had come up instead of taking the path towards Windmill Hill. I realised when I saw the woman with the two small children, and then cut across the open heathland to regain the correct path.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    It's not just speed that declines with age, but recovery from hard training sessions. After a reasonably brisk run up Beacon Hill two days ago, I intended to do Buck Hill and the Outwoods today, but soon decided to truncate it to just the Outwoods, and had to walk up two steep slopes in the woods. There was even a calf taking the p*ss in one of the fields next to the path up to the woods. Actually, not taking the p*ss, more giving the p*ss: standing near the fence separating its field from the footpath, and relieving itself in my direction.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Had a bash at the local Parkrun course this morning.

19:14

No excuses, when it got uncomfortable i didn't push hard enough, and subsequently didn't get anywhere near the time i felt capable of.

I did find it a bit of a struggle to tune into race-mode when doing it solo and nobody to chase. Perhaps will try again on the track next weekend, where i seem to be able to find that race mentality, even when alone.

Despite today's effort, i still feel even on current form there's a minute to come off that next week.

Another solid week, 59 miles 11,750ft. Only low point being yesterdays lacklustre 5km. Although i'm not reading too deeply into it, just going to put it down as a poor run.

Next week will almost definitely see less miles, although should be productive, as got the first club session back on the track since last winter, and another attempt at a "fast" 5km next weekend.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Another 5 Wainwrights ticked off this afternoon. Graystones, Broom Fell, Lord's Seat, Barf and Whinlatter. Only 1 left in the NW fells book. 16km, 800m.

Another fantastic solo race/ Strava segment attack yesterday. And of what I used to call the worst possible kind - just 1.23 miles in total up and down Raven Crag at the top of Thirlmere. The climb is brutal - c 850 ft in two thirds of a mile - and so is the descent over a mixture of old steps near the top, rocks and rubble and, yesterday, wet and slick leaves over mud, stones and tree roots.

Anyway I smashed it, coming in tenth ever on the climb only segment (out of 152) and third ever on the up and down segment (out of 69). 14:37 minutes to the top and 22:53 up and down.

In drier conditions I can do better .

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Another fantastic solo race/ Strava segment attack yesterday. And of what I used to call the worst possible kind - just 1.23 miles in total up and down Raven Crag at the top of Thirlmere. The climb is brutal - c 850 ft in two thirds of a mile - and so is the descent over a mixture of old steps near the top, rocks and rubble and, yesterday, wet and slick leaves over mud, stones and tree roots.

Anyway I smashed it, coming in tenth ever on the climb only segment (out of 152) and third ever on the up and down segment (out of 69). 14:37 minutes to the top and 22:53 up and down.

In drier conditions I can do better .

I did that last autumn, and think i managed a similar time from the road, if i recall correctly about 14mins up and 8 down. Like you, definitely think time to come off under race conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I did that last autumn, and think i managed a similar time from the road, if i recall correctly about 14mins up and 8 down. Like you, definitely think time to come off under race conditions.
    The best time to the summit (on Strava) is an amazing 9:52 minutes, by a young up and coming Keswick AC superstar by the looks of things. Top effort that