Page 1546 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 546104614461496153615441545154615471548155615961646 ... LastLast
Results 15,451 to 15,460 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

A decent 30+ mile haul this weekend bought the week up to a respectable total... 67 miles 10,800ft.

Nothing too spectacular this week, just steady miles and a couple of good sessions.

Next weekend possibly revive my attempt at a 5km pb. And throwing around the thought of doing the Coventry Way Footpath in the next few weeks... a 40 mile, mainly off road, circuit of Cov at a radius of about 5 miles from the city centre. Won't be ideal conditions underfoot this time of year (it rarely is in summer), but would be a decent day out.
    Last edited by Travs; 15-11-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Still trying to get back on it so a steady 4 mile run with my son on the High Peak Trail in 35mins. Blue sky and sun but a very gusty wind.
    After last Sundays run my groins were a bit tender so I missed Tuesdays run but did 3 miles on Thursday.

Overall this week I've run only 7 miles but have done 70 miles and 6'500 feet on the bike and 25 miles walking with the dogs so the legs are getting slowly back into it.

Onwards and upwards!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Rest week last week, so just a few short and easy runs. Back to it this week, so the usual Monday-Friday on the road averaging 11k/200m, then something longer on Saturday, most likely in the Dales.
    Geoff Clarke

Something a little different today, a rep session on the treadmill. I don't mind steady treadmill runs, and i obviously use them for the vast majority of climbing, but prefer to keep speed sessions road/track based.

But busy with work so there wasn't really time. The session was to be 6 x 1km with 2mins rest. Which i adapted to 6 x 4mins, then did a 6 minute blowout at the end.

Obviously it doesn't take quite so much toll on the legs, but can certainly really push the lungs and cardio system hard. Was absolutely drenched when i came back out of the garage an hour later.

I'm a bit hesitant to call this 'training' but my running weeks right now tend to be all off road, and with lockdown, mostly from home or nearby. My week goes something like this:

Monday - recovery/rest day run - 3 miles with the dogs around Brants Gill Head and back along the Ribble Way with say 300feet of climb

Tuesday - solo race night - these I try and push hard as if in a race, usually endeavouring to attack my pb's on various different routes around and about near home. Anything between 4 and 10 miles in length with at least 1,000 feet of climb but usually more. These are tending to slow down a bit at the moment given the need for a head torch, the weather and dodgy ground conditions but, from a solo adventure point of view, they're definitely getting spicy

Wednesday - prior to lockdown this was often our run with friends evening followed by a beer and a big bowl of what we call slop (veggie stew, chilli or chunky soup). At the minute its usually me, Hester and the dogs running somewhere relatively low level in the hills for 4 or 5 miles

Thursday - now with the gym shut, this has become my two run day. I've been running up Penyghent at the crack of dawn on my tod (medium paced on the up and either fast or slow on the down depending how I feel). 4 to 6 miles and 1,600 feet. Then usually a 2 or 3 miler in the evening with the dogs

Friday - depends a bit how I feel but often a 4 or 5 miler with dogs up the Pennine Way one way and back the other, with some good low level hills thrown in

Saturday and Sunday - two good, middling to epic, runs out in the hills with Hester and the dog squad. These runs can be long and often (pre lockdown) in the Lakes and other Dales adventure spots further from home. They do however involve plenty of hill/mountain running and adventuring, with often a strava segment time attack on a particular climb or descent thrown in.

Mileage and climb depend a lot on the time of year but, right now, its 40 plus miles a week with say 8,000 to 9,000 feet of climb, with say half done in the week (now in the dark before or after work) and half done in daylight at the weekend
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 17-11-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Went over to Warwick Racecourse for a 5km attempt this morning. A much more consistently flat course than the ones round by me... albeit with still a reasonable hill in it, which must be scaled twice, but in my opinion a fast course.

Unfortunately with it being around a very flat and open racecourse, it was incredibly windy today... which is today's excuse for not reaching the time i feel capable of!

Managed 18:50... i feel the wind may have cost 20-30secs.... i think that on a 5km, someone like me with good stamina, but perhaps a slight lack of basic speed, needs to start hard and maintain it. This wasn't really an option today as the first 800-1km were into a very strong headwind, so i felt i was always fighting a losing battle... knew at halfway i was a little way off the pace.

Still it was a nice bit of hard work. My plan had been to forget the 5km after today and get into some long stuff at the weekends... but i think a couple more weeks of hard work can see me picking up a much better time than i registered today.
    Last edited by Travs; 21-11-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Another week over and this weeks scores were a steady 68 miles and 11,100ft. Slight disappointment with my 5km time yesterday but not a major disaster in an otherwise decent week.

Next week... "club" session which i'll do tuesday or wednesday, probably another bash at 5km next weekend. Fingers crossed it's only 4 weeks to the Skirrid Fell Race, everything permitting!

Really enjoyed my run in the Goyt Valley this morning with my "cool" friend.

You'll be pleased to know Moley that he passed the dress code test by not wearing anything too gaudy or gimmicky. He was shod in More Mile trail shoes which he rates and I must say that they looked pretty stable on the muddy ascents/descents. He was, however, much tidier dressed than me, in my old black smelly helly lifa, t shirt and shorts.

8 miles and 1'062 feet over a mix of terrain in 1hr 15min. Pleased with that, my longest run in 3 months. Calves a bit tender now, a short steep downhill tarmac section, in Mudclaws, to blame. Easy again midweek.

Hopefully slowly getting there with a weekly total of 16 miles and 1'600 feet running, 77 miles and 6'500 feet cycling and 20 miles walking with dogs.

Watch out Trav's, I'm after you
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

34k/1200m yesterday. Cracking loop from Austwick to Feizor, Helwith Bridge, up over Penyghent, down through Horton, Ingleborough and back via Trow Gill and Thwaite Lane. Decent conditions, though some proper slop underfoot around Sulber Nick. Currently pondering over a rest day today or a run at lunchtime.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    34k/1200m yesterday. Cracking loop from Austwick to Feizor, Helwith Bridge, up over Penyghent, down through Horton, Ingleborough and back via Trow Gill and Thwaite Lane. Decent conditions, though some proper slop underfoot around Sulber Nick. Currently pondering over a rest day today or a run at lunchtime.
    Great route that. As a local though I'm a little worried that at the start you missed out going up through Wharfe/Oxenber woods (sidestepping Feizor) and also didn't visit Smearsett Scar before heading for Helwith Bridge and the climb up Pyg

There is so much gloop between the top of Sulber Nick and Nick Pot right now - fantastic eh?