Page 1548 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 548104814481498153815461547154815491550155815981648 ... LastLast
Results 15,471 to 15,480 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

This week's scores 58.5 miles, 10,200ft.

After a good XC handicap race yesterday, i was full of enthusiasm for the coming week. Yet a pull/strain whilst bench-pressing this morning has left me in a little pain, curtailed today's mileage somewhat, and have no idea if i'll be back all-guns-blazing tomorrow morning, or if i'll be off for a few days.

Club session last night in rather miserable driving rain.

4 x 200mtrs
    3 x 1 mile (1 minute rest)
    4 x 200mtrs

The mile reps were supposed to be at 10 mile race pace. Having never done a 10 mile race i was a little unsure, but i'd imagine 62-63 minutes would be the aim. However 6:12-6:18/mile is a little too slow for reps for me, and my miles were 6:00, 5:53, 5:51... so possibly overcooked it (if i ever got near 60mins for 10 miles i'd be ecstatic!), but quite pleasing that i could run a reasonable pace without really turning on the gas.

Sadly i seem to have done something to my hip, so no running at least this morning, perhaps longer.

I'm assuming that in the last week the resumption of hard gym work, a tough XC run, and a club session, are the reasons behind a worrying rash of niggles...

Why the gym work? I notice you said bench pressing in your last post. Is that general strength fitness or something intended to be relevant to running?

I'm not against gym work, but I've never considered bench presses.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Why the gym work? I notice you said bench pressing in your last post. Is that general strength fitness or something intended to be relevant to running?

I'm not against gym work, but I've never considered bench presses.

I've always done general weight work, alongside more specific leg and core strength work. I do feel it helps on the longer races, ability to keep a reasonable posture etc. It's generally lower weights and higher reps, i'm not looking to build muscle. A fairly basic full body circuit with core work is no more than half hours work in the gym. If i'm already there to use the treadmill for uphill work it's a no-brainer really.

Also i like to maintain a bit of the strength/endurance in the core and upper body that i built up from my Thai Kickboxing days.

With regards to leg strength work, i'm a great fan of squats and leg presses... and will use other isolation exercises (hamstring curls etc) to work on any weaknesses.

Overall i find it's an asset rather than a hindrance to my training... particularly living without regular access to the fells and rough ground.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Marco whilst i bow to your experience, there are one or two items there i wouldn't mind commenting on...

You can do as many weights as you like, but to "build muscle" you need to be consuming a surplus of calories.

Bench pressing is primarily a chest exercise, with secondary benefits elsewhere (indeed as you say to the arms).

Muscle does indeed consume more fuel and oxygen... but if we go to those lengths of analysis, that could also be seen as a training benefit, as you are working yourself harder in training, burning more calories, and therefore excess fat (that is if you are indeed consuming excess calories and putting on excess muscle )

All things considered, i'll likely continue to weight-train despite your friendly concerns...!!

Considering my weight could hardly be seen as excessive (i am perhaps heavy for a runner at 79-80kg, 6ft2"... but when i was competing in kickboxing my "fight weight" was 78kg so i haven't got a great deal to lose!)

My weight when i started fellrunning was low-mid 80's, and i'm now currently 79-80kg but a great deal stronger due to increased mileage, and yes weight work. I could perhaps drop a kg or two from abandoning upper body weights... but as you say there are other factors, and it was noticeable that when the summer lockdown ended and i was back in the gym multiple times a week, i neither gained nor lost weight (but felt significantly better for being back there!)

Master
    About 50 years ago the flat I shared in my first year at uni was directly opposite the university gym. I was taught to find a weight I could move/lift between 8 and 12 times - less than 8 times, reduce the weight, more than 12 times, increase the weight. Do 4 sets of each exercise, in rotation. It was knackering but effective.

From my reading, very little has changed - the 8 - 12 rule seems as good as any. For hypertrophy, rather than just strength, it seems to be especially important to train to failure, whether using light or heavy weights. And get that protein in, at least 1.5 grams/kg/day, spread over the day.

Many feel that so called open chain exercises are more beneficial as they involve the body's musculature in a more global way, but others disagree and are happy to recommend/use single movement machines.

As has been said many times, the exercise that works is the one that you do.

Marco I certainly didn't think you were being critical and I hope my response didn't give that impression.

Also on Mike's post, yes the wisdom seems to suggest that compound movements are best... Squats, pulls (pullups, chinups, rows), pushes (bench and military presses).

Im not much of a fan of traditional situps either... Much prefer rollouts and planks for building a strong core.

Think I mentioned above but I only tend to use single muscle exercises if I feel I have a particular weakness (example when I first started doing track sessions my hamstrings weren't strong enough and I would suffer significant DOMS after track work). Increased mileage and some targeted strength work eventually got me over that. Whether the strength work or mileage was the most helpful is open to debate...

But of course that goes back to your point that everyone has different routines which work!

I certainly feel very strongly against doing Calf isolation work, for example.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-12-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Managed to get a very slow, rainy, 4 mile headtorch run in this evening over local fields which were spectacularly muddy, especially in gateways and the approaches to stiles, which were also very slippery.

Overall, the conditions and my lack of fitness resulted in me just breaking 40 mins.

I think my Mudclaws enjoyed the run out even more than me!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

An hours fairly hard work on the climber today, 4550ft.... some may scoff, but our mutual forumite Corniceman would no doubt testify that this is not an easy way to spend an hour!

Finished off with lots of squats.

Brings the weekly total to a below-par 41.5 miles, but a whopping 20,100ft.

Possibly mentioned earlier in the week that i'd strained my hip during tuesday's club session... it has put me out of any hard running since, although i've still been doing some easy miles, and obviously a lot more slower paced uphill work.

Next week..... well, supposed to have a track session on tuesday, but likely to miss it out, given current issues, and concentrate on slow and steady this week, ready for whatever i can get in the way of fast running/racing over xmas/new year.

Are you periodising your training Travs? If so, where are you now?

I know a lot of people try to build base mileage in the winter, then sharpen up early spring.