Page 1556 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 556105614561506154615541555155615571558156616061656 ... LastLast
Results 15,551 to 15,560 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

14 miles of cross-country with friend from a rival club, in a loop of farmland to the north-east of Coventry.

I knew sections of it from the Coventry Way Ultra, and was well aware that conditions would be shocking. Luckily it wasn't quite as horrendous as anticipated, as some of the really bad sections were still relatively icy and hard. Still came back plastered in mud though.

Once again the pace was pushed a bit higher than i'd usually go on my long runs, particularly off-road. But i can't deny we've been getting in some quality long off-road stuff, so it's all good.

71 miles for the week. And a concerted effort on the diet has seen me drop back under 80kg (just.... 79.9 yesterday!)

Next week, will try to keep the miles up, club session, but next weekend may see me viewing a potential house in Cumbria, so not making any solid plans yet.

A bitterly cold easterly for todays run from Great Longstone. Up Cherpit Lane, the first mile of the GLFR, and then a drop into Hay Dale before up to todays and Januarys last TP at Wardlow Hay Cop, where Nigel sticks the tree on his and Sue's Litton Christmas Cracker FR. Back down to Wardlow and up over Longstone Moor, along Longstone Edge and back down through the fields to Great Longstone.

A dusting of snow on the higher ground and although frozen there was just enough give to enable the Scott's to get a good grip. A lovely 8.5 miles and 1,429 feet in 1 hr 19 min. Only 4 others seen.

So my little motivator for January is over with 31 different TP's visited either on foot, bike or a combination of both, the vast majority from my door.

Not a great feat but a total of 576 miles and 60,143 feet.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 31-01-2021 at 07:13 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A bitterly cold easterly for todays run from Great Longstone. Up Cherpit Lane, the first mile of the GLFR, and then a drop into Hay Dale before up to todays and Januarys last TP at Wardlow Hay Cop, where Nigel sticks the tree on his and Sue's Litton Christmas Cracker FR. Back down to Wardlow and up over Longstone Moor, along Longstone Edge and back down through the fields to Great Longstone.

A dusting of snow on the higher ground and although frozen there was just enough give to enable the Scott's to get a good grip. A lovely 8.5 miles and 1,429 feet in 1 hr 19 min. Only 4 others seen.

So my little motivator for January is over with 31 different TP's visited either on foot, bike or a combination of both, the vast majority from my door.

Not a great feat but a total of 576 miles and 60,143 feet.

Nigel/Sue are on here occasionally as RaceTheSweeper.... used to see them almost weekly when he was doing his "50 races for 50" i think that must have been 2017/18.... but don't think i've bumped into them since!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Nigel/Sue are on here occasionally as RaceTheSweeper.... used to see them almost weekly when he was doing his "50 races for 50" i think that must have been 2017/18.... but don't think i've bumped into them since!
    I see them now and then. Both keeping well and getting plenty of miles in.

If you see them around say hello from Pete in Coventry...!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    If you see them around say hello from Pete in Coventry...!
    Will do

7 x half-mile, 2mins rest.

2mins is a fairly hefty rest period, but allowed me to concentrate on getting good quality reps in.

8.5 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As an observation, (and most definitely not a criticism), 40+ years ago when I was doing competitive swimming for a club we didn't use a fixed rest period.

Instead we used heart-rate, and would only proceed with the next rep when our HR had fallen to 120. To facilitate this, as it was years before HR monitors, the coach had a massive clock with a red seconds hand that was clearly visible across all 8 lanes. We were taught to feel our pulse on our throats for 10 seconds and multiply by 6; if less than 20 we'd start again.

The beauty of the system is that you don't get too much or too little rest and 40+ years later I still use it with slightly different numbers.
    When I was fell racing for prizes I would monitor my heart monitor (as you would!) and if it was lower than it should be when working hard I would give myself a good talking to and dig in.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Yes i can see the logic in using HR.

I think over time you get to know what rest periods you need, depending on the aims of the session. The same session with only 1 minutes rest is a different beast.

Although incidentally i like the group sessions with short rests because i have comparatively good recovery (a throwback to kickboxing, and no doubt helped by the varying demands of fellracing), so i can really try and turn the screw when it gets competitive in our training group!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    When I was fell racing for prizes I would monitor my heart monitor (as you would!) and if it was lower than it should be when working hard I would give myself a good talking to and dig in.
    Did you ever answer back?