Page 1557 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 557105714571507154715551556155715581559156716071657 ... LastLast
Results 15,561 to 15,570 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Did you ever answer back?
    Oh never, what with me having a modest,subdued,humble,obedient and introverted personality.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Another Thursday run this evening with my pal who this time remembered to bring his headtorch. From the Grouse Inn, up through the waterlogged field and we hit the clag before getting onto the edge. Very slowly along to the TP at White Edge as the headtorch beams were just being reflected making it difficult to see ones feet placement on a very muddy and boulder strewn path.
    We met one runner coming towards us who was walking with his headtorch in his hand at waist level trying to get under the clag.

Once we left the TP the path had fewer boulders so better progress was made to Swine Sty and then along a lovely trod to Bar Brook which we crossed near the stone circle. We then followed the wide grassy track alongside the brook up past the old dam and on to Barbrook Bridge on the Owler Bar/Foxhouse road. A 90 degree turn back up over White Edge Moor, past White Edge Lodge and back down to The Grouse.

6.8 miles, only 677ft but it felt like more, in 1hr 15min. Constant rain, clag and a cool northerly breeze.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 04-02-2021 at 11:59 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Today's training was a chance to push myself a bit on a course I know well, to see how far off the pace I am and to spur me on to up my training.

The route goes up Shutlingsloe, down the back into Macc Forest, then back up and over Shutlingsloe on the return. Maybe 5 miles, but with lots of ascent.

Having pushed all the way, I went to stop my GPS at the end only to find it had run out of charge. Thankfully there were no walkers about to hear the screamed obscenity.

My training routine now involves daily watch charging!!

6 x 1km this morning, with 1min rest.

This was on a km street loop that i've only done once before, and it was incredibly foggy with visibility down to about 50 metres. So things started well as i shot off on the first rep and 30 seconds later found myself at a dead-end... must remember my map & compass next time.

Having found the correct street corner, i got on with the session...

3:30, 3:32, 3:32, 3:36, 3:36, 3:37

It was the first time since december that i've really squeezed the rest periods down, and i probably did start too hard, as the times would indicate.

I think the next week or two i'm going to work on some shorter reps... 400/800mtrs and really get the legs ticking over.

7.5 miles

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This brought a smile to my face, but not the smug one of 'that couldn't possibly happen to me'

Some years ago I stopped on the way back from a customer on the Suffolk coast to run at Nowton Park at Bury St Edmunds. The park is big, (about 3.5km around the perimeter), flat, and contains a lot of trees. It was foggy and the planned one-hour session actually lasted about 80 minutes because I couldn't find my way out!
    Ran there twice a week minimum for several years - lots of paths/trails, and enough trees/bushes to make direction finding difficult - I can understand people getting lost as I did it myself several times.

This brought a smile to my face, but not the smug one of 'that couldn't possibly happen to me'

Some years ago I stopped on the way back from a customer on the Suffolk coast to run at Nowton Park at Bury St Edmunds. The park is big, (about 3.5km around the perimeter), flat, and contains a lot of trees. It was foggy and the planned one-hour session actually lasted about 80 minutes because I couldn't find my way out!

Yes, navigational disasters are not unique to fellrunning.

A few years ago in a cross-country fixture in Stoke, our top man went out for his warmup and got lost and missed the race.

I also managed to get lost on my first attempt at my hometown parkrun, whilst leading, when i missed a turn that wasn't marshalled...

15 miles across the city today. Had intended to do the outward leg on the canal, but the continuing maintenance works meant i was on and off it at various points. Followed by a testing final hour home into a severe headwind.

Very steady at consistent 8min/mile from the off, which was all i was going to be good for after yesterdays session.

Currently on 71 miles for the week, possible that i might do a couple of miles this evening on the treadmill.

Weight still below 80kg... in fact dropped another 0.1kg down to 79.8... But now reaching the level where i know it's difficult to push below without real commitment to diet.

Next week, hoping to do a couple of sessions with shorter reps...400/800mtrs. Hope to keep miles consistent, but will probably drop a little from 70 miles as got a long day out to Cumbria midweek, losing at least one decent run, if not a full day. Although having not had a single rest day since November, it might be welcome relief!

After a full rest day yesterday, my first since at least the start of December, i was raring to go today.

Was really looking forward to a hard rep session on the roads, so it was a bit of a disappointment (but not surprising) to see the roads covered in frozen snow and ice.

So it was on to the treadmill for 12 x 400 on/off reps. Ran them very hard and honest, and was a good workout, but hopefully get to repeat a similar session on the roads later in the week.

9 miles.

400mtr reps this morning... was aiming for speed over quantity, and set out to do as many as i could before the times dropped off (which i expected would be somewhere around 6-8reps). Also using a decent rest period... walk/jog the 400mtrs back to the start, which was taking about 3mins.

Usually my 400mtr pace would be in the 78-82sec range, depending on duration of session, rest period, etc.

After opening with 78secs, i was straight down to 76, 76, 76, 76. Number six was 77 so almost time to call it a day, but a big final effort produced 75secs for the 7th and final rep.

A useful and informative session, whilst admittedly not pushing the limits of endurance. 8 miles in total.

Very consistent times, showing good levels of effort/concentration.

If you do enough of them they will push your endurance; I remember when my girlfriend's son was 15 and running for Cannock & Stafford AC. The training session he was set for Christmas day consisted of 20 x 400m in 65 secs. I don't remember what the recovery was, but I did some with him and quickly had to stop.

I would point out that I am not condoning training such as this for 15 year olds, even if they are good (which he was). I thought it was mad at the time, and I haven't changed my opinion; Cannock & Stafford had a reputation back then for burning out a lot of young runners
    I know of Cannock & Stafford... i think they got promoted up to our league in the XC in the last couple of years, but didn't stay up for long... its such a tough league that very few teams manage to get up and stay up.

Yes we would do 12-16 in a normal club session, and in a solo session i might do 18-20, depending on my aims.