Page 1558 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 558105814581508154815561557155815591560156816081658 ... LastLast
Results 15,571 to 15,580 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks with me (it's a long time ago), but on the rare occasions that I turned up at a Charnwood AC track session I think I was doing 12 x 400m in 72-74secs; although of course it's easier to keep up a good pace when there's eight to ten other runners of similar standard to work with. As for 65secs, that's bonkers!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks with me (it's a long time ago), but on the rare occasions that I turned up at a Charnwood AC track session I think I was doing 12 x 400m in 72-74secs; although of course it's easier to keep up a good pace when there's eight to ten other runners of similar standard to work with. As for 65secs, that's bonkers!
    72-74 is very decent...

I don't know if you ever did any road races, but i'd estimate that the guys in my group at that speed are probably under 17mins for 5km.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    72-74 is very decent...

I don't know if you ever did any road races, but i'd estimate that the guys in my group at that speed are probably under 17mins for 5km.
    I never did road races, but I have done some multi-terrain races which included road. The one that sticks in my memory is the Mill Lum 6 in 1986. It's a 6-mile race on farm tracks, road and grass at the edge of a golf course, quite hilly (with a nasty stretch of steep downhill on the road), at Kinghorn in Fife.

I did 35m20s, but I remember being particularly pleased that I was only 2m40s down on the winner, Terry Mitchell, who was a Scottish international cross-country and road runner.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Yes that sounds pretty impressive. Roughly equivalent to 36:30 for 10km... but hilly off-road.

I'm always amused when results are published for the cross country, where the courses are often well short, or indeed long... and i'm sometimes credited with 36mins for "10km".... i couldn't do that on a flat road course, never mind over Warley Woods in January!!

16 miles today at 7:30/mile pace.

Brings the weekly total to 76.5 miles. Which is my biggest week for a few months, interestingly it's also the only week for ages in which i've taken a full rest day.

Weight bang on 80kg.

I must admit this week has been the first one where i've really felt it a mental struggle to keep pushing through the lockdown... not so much in getting out every day, but more finding the will to go out and run my hard sessions when even at the most optimistic of guesses we're probably a couple of months away from getting any kind of races in.

And the great progress made this week towards moving north, rather than fuel me with enthusiasm for current training, seems to be making the thought of a couple more months hacking round the streets and estates of Coventry even more of a grim prospect!!

That's an impressive mileage Travs. These high mileage weeks will stand you in good stead for later in the season.

If you're struggling with motivation, try mixing it up a bit. Go somewhere new. Run a route the other way to how you do normally. Try a different fartlek timing - anything to give you a sense of novelty.

Master
    16 miles today at 7:30/mile pace.

Brings the weekly total to 76.5 miles. Which is my biggest week for a few months, interestingly it's also the only week for ages in which i've taken a full rest day.

Weight bang on 80kg.

I must admit this week has been the first one where i've really felt it a mental struggle to keep pushing through the lockdown... not so much in getting out every day, but more finding the will to go out and run my hard sessions when even at the most optimistic of guesses we're probably a couple of months away from getting any kind of races in.

And the great progress made this week towards moving north, rather than fuel me with enthusiasm for current training, seems to be making the thought of a couple more months hacking round the streets and estates of Coventry even more of a grim prospect!!
    Well run!

Lots to look forward to - all being well, living and running in the Lakes; and of course vaccinations for all who need them and a return towards normal life.

My weekly totals: 66.4 miles, and 22,400 feet of up. Slow, but enjoyable.

That is some climbing MikeT.... since i stopped religiously measuring my ascent, instead recording mileage and weight, i'm estimating around 7500-8500ft per week.

I will be interested to see how my mileage compares once settled in the Lakes. I'd not be too surprised to see it return back to 50-60 miles once i start doing a lot more on-fell training, not to mention racing again.

I will be interested to see how my mileage compares once settled in the Lakes. I'd not be too surprised to see it return back to 50-60 miles once i start doing a lot more on-fell training, not to mention racing again.
    You're probably best measuring time running, instead of mileage - for that reason. I remember being surprised when I heard a member of my old club was tracking their training in that way, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    You're probably best measuring time running, instead of mileage - for that reason. I remember being surprised when I heard a member of my old club was tracking their training in that way, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.
    This also has the advantage that when I take 42 minutes running a route that I used to do in 35 minutes, I can say that I have upped my training by 20%.
    Jorge Luis Borges