Page 1561 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 561106114611511155115591560156115621563157116111661 ... LastLast
Results 15,601 to 15,610 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Managed a full week's running last week, first time since early December. No long one on Saturday (legs too tired), but an enjoyable first off-road outing of the year up over Clougha Pike. Hoping for similar this week.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Managed a full week's running last week, first time since early December. No long one on Saturday (legs too tired), but an enjoyable first off-road outing of the year up over Clougha Pike. Hoping for similar this week.
    Nice one
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Nice one
    Thanks! Trying to balance exuberance with not doing too much too soon (feeling knackered is helping).
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    It would seem that even top international coaches have trouble assessing running economy/efficiency by observation. Cochrum et al (2020) Visual classification of running economy. Tom Goom, Running-physio.com, discusses this in an interesting 10 minute video.

Club session today and 8 x 800mtr reps.

All reps were 2:40-2:42, but i could only manage 6.... a look back at this thread and i did an identical session about a fortnight ago and was running the reps in 2:44-2:46, which probably explains why it felt so tough today!

In hindsight i should possibly have taken another easy day today, after working relatively hard over the weekend, but woke up feeling good so went for it, and leaves me with a few days to recover for another tough session on friday or saturday.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Club session today and 8 x 800mtr reps.

All reps were 2:40-2:42, but i could only manage 6....
    6 x 500m reps in the Outwoods, each one taking longer than Travs's 800m reps -- but I don't think his had 45 metres of climbing. Quite a satisfying session; the third quarter of the route is the steep section, so usually in the fourth quarter I find myself just grimly holding on as the gradient decreases; but today I actually felt that I was making a decent effort to accelerate to the finish.

An eventful session in terms of human contact. As I was running up the bridleway to the woods I passed two friends from church. A bit further up I started hearing running footsteps behind me; my brain said, "This is only the warm-up jog", but there seemed to be a direct line from my ears to my legs, bypassing my brain, and I inevitably sped up. I managed to stay ahead of the bloke until I arrived at the entrance to the woods, where my reps start.

As I finished the first rep, I turned round and saw a young lady a little way down the path -- -- she was bent over, looking at her electronic gizmo. I didn't say anything as I passed on my jog back down. Back at the bottom of the hill, during my recovery before the next rep, a dog-walker, whom I had passed on the way up and again coming back down, stopped for a brief chat: "You are putting the rest of us to shame, etc." Then at the same location during my recovery after the second rep, another friend from church ran past, coming into the woods from the bridleway.

Not much excitement after that, although on the fourth rep a dog-walker ahead of me stepped aside, almost into my path as I veered aside to pass her.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

No, I doubt my entire run including warmup and run home contained more than 45mtrs of climb. .

Redressed the issue of ascent this morning with 6 miles up 15% gradient on the treadmill, taking 1hr10. Mainly power-walking but with seven or eight bursts of around 3mins running.

Weight good again, 79.5kg... my tighter scrutiny of diet seems to be paying off, as seem to now be consistently walking round below 80kg.

My pal and I chickened out of tonight's planned 8 mile run due to hailstones and gale force winds and went for a flattish sheltered option instead.

From the western end of the Monsal Trail at Topley Pike quarry we dropped down to the muddy, flooded in places, riverside path along Wye and Chee Dales. Not very good for running on and many of the two sets of stepping stones were covered in muddy floodwater which made them a bit tricky to see! We eventually re-joined the trail at the limekilns near Millers Dale and returned to Topley Pike on the comfort of the old railway bed.

Just 5 miles and 251 feet in a sloth like 51 minutes. Still trying to shake off a bit of lethargy after Mondays jab and I certainly felt better after the run than I did before it.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 12-03-2021 at 12:40 PM.

After having one or two niggles midweek, its been easy running for the remainder of the week. Although turned it up a little today with an hour hard uphill 15% on the treadmill, followed straight off by 4 miles hard flat.

Brings the weekly total to 68.5 miles.

Weight continuing to fall... down to 79.1kg

Next week.... well i don't want to make too many predictions in case the niggles return... but have been planning for a couple of weeks to do a decent tempo run... perhaps 10/15/20km at or just under 20min/5km pace. Then hopefully the club-scheduled weekly session as well.

Got my eye on a 1500mtr track race 4 weeks today, and of course the return of club group training in a couple of weeks. Not to mention getting my entry in for Ennerdale tomorrow... got unfinished business there after my 2018 debacle.
    Last edited by Travs; 14-03-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Having seemed to have shaken off my post jab lethargy I went out this afternoon on my todd. With cold wind and rain on my back it was a waterproof top from the doorstep down the fields to Conksbury and into Lathkill Dale. Halfway to Alport and in the shelter of the dale the top came off and went into my backpack.

Up Bradford Dale past Youlgreave turning right before Middleton and steeply up past Lomberdale Hall and then further uphill to Moor Lane. Now I was exposed head on to the gale with its accompanying rain and hail so the top went back on for the battle across fields to Calling Low and the descent into Cales Dale. The 160 odd limestone steps down into the dale were very slippery, as was the rough rocky path up the other side to One Ash Grange.

Back into the storm over the fields to the top end of Lathkill Dale and then, skirting Monyash via Bagshaw Dale, on to Horse Lane. Around 500 yards of tarmac before a left over a series of fields towards Sheldon. The weather now was coming from my left until I reached Magpie Mine from where I had a nice tailie most of the last 2 miles home.

A total of 13.25 miles and 1,447 feet in 2hrs 3mins. About half a mile on tarmac, 2 miles on hard packed trail and the rest on fields whose surfaces varied from quagmire to lovely firm grass and everything in between. Quite pleased with my fitness especially having been under the weather all week. Only half a dozen walkers seen.

Unfortunately I am having shoulder surgery on the 24th just when the running is starting to pick up so it will probably be back to square one. However, I have got myself a turbo trainer to keep the legs and lungs going and have negotiated a four week period to have it in the house.