Page 1564 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 564106414641514155415621563156415651566157416141664 ... LastLast
Results 15,631 to 15,640 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Hopefully April will be the start of some meaningful entries on here.
    Good to see you getting back into it WP. A few quality weeks and your confidence should come back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Having lost 20 days with my right calf towards the end of November, I then did my left calf and it was a nasty one, went without warning on a shorty 21st January.
    I could still feel it walking after a couple of weeks, so I took until end of Feb off from running and just walked and did a bit on the exercise bike.
    Set a modest target of 40 miles running in March.
    I completed that today with a 30 minute 3.25 mile loop around Witton.

I've been doing 2-3 x 3-4 milers a week at just over 9 minute mile pace. Done quite a bit of walking still, having walked over 100 mile with about 10,000ft.

April is about getting some recce paced longer efforts in on the hills. So 50 ish miles and around 5000ft and if I feel Ok at the end of it I'll crack on through May.

I certainly need some fitness back, but strangely it's mostly confidence at the moment. I'm always thinking a calf or ankle is going to go on me.

Hopefully April will be the start of some meaningful entries on here.
    Hopefully you are strengthening those calfs - heel drops in other words. I do them most days of the week, on a horizontal surface, going up and down on the same leg until the calf starts to tighten, 1 second up, 1 second down, twice each side. Usually 25-30 first time, 20 or so second time. So a little bit different from heel drops on the stairs, which can stress the tendon's insertion into the heel excessively. The Australian Ballet Company have been doing this for years, as opposed to their previous dedication to stretching, and have seen a dramatic reduction in calf injuries.

Skipping (with a rope) is fantastic for calves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Skipping (with a rope) is fantastic for calves.
    I find I get tangled in the rope too frequently to make it useful. So instead I skip as if I am using a rope. I agree it is a great strengthener for the calves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I find I get tangled in the rope too frequently to make it useful. So instead I skip as if I am using a rope. I agree it is a great strengthener for the calves.
    From a distance it will look like you're using a thin rope. Maybe you should build in some tricks, seeing as there's no chance of tripping up. Here's some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J077NL55p5c
    Amaze your (middle distance) neighbours.

I'll give those heel drops a go Mike.

Slow trot around the nursery slopes of Witton this morning, finishing off with the Saucer, the main climb on the cross country course for those who know the park.
    3.5 miles, 440ft, 39 minutes
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Club training again last night, and a 25 minute Kenyan Hill session on the grass.
    (Kenyan Hills being a constant hard effort up and down, as opposed to uphill or downhill reps).

Decided to run this fairly hard, hoping to pass through the 5km mark in under 20mins or so, and was just about spot on with 19:40

Good to run a hard session with a group, although i'd have preferred a steeper hill!

No rest for the wicked... tomorrow morning got an hour booked at the track, which will be third harder session of the week, not something i usually go for.

First track session of the year.

400mtr reps with 90secs rest. Only did 7, at 74-75secs, but with a short track race next week i was aiming for quality over quantity.

A look back shows that my final track session before the lockdown was 8 x 400mtr with 2 mins rest, and i was doing them in 78-81secs.... so a very pleasing improvement, and hopefully it comes together with a fair time next weekend.

Another week comes to an end, and it's been another positive one.

Resumption of club training, so two good group sessions, and a further track session yesterday. The track session was very encouraging and shows a substantial improvement.

But can't deny i've felt the strain of three sessions, and would not be able to sustain it. I'll put it down to over-enthusiasm at the re-opening of training and the track.

Managed 66 miles. Weight crept back up just over 79kg again, but still better than it was at xmas and i'm not overly alarmed.

Next week, hopefully just the one club session as have a track race next sunday. Will try to keep everything else consistent and easy. Not sure what mileage will end up with, as quite possibly heading up to the Lakes on moving duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    as have a track race next sunday.
    How dare you?

Managed my first hill run this morning. Very steady 5.08 miles, 827ft, 60:56 but a nice easy target to try and take a few minutes off by the end of April.

Beautiful morning, with the sun just coming up over the trees to the East of Witton as I set off up Billinge Woods and some great views at the top.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell