Page 1567 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 567106714671517155715651566156715681569157716171667 ... LastLast
Results 15,661 to 15,670 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Another stunted week... external circumstances are putting the brakes on training a little. Only managed 49.5 miles this week, and to be honest, the effect of resuming strength work in anger has meant i've not really felt lively enough for much more.

Today was probably the first day where i've felt more like my old self, doing two sessions (one very easy, one a little more pacy) and feeling good.

Next week will try to tune up for the upcoming Loughrigg Fell race... up the miles where possible, bring the strength work down, and try to keep things relatively easy over bank holiday weekend in the Lakes.

I've got over it

Today I decided to give Moley's recommended run route around the Hafren Forest and Pumlumon a go.

I started from Natural Resources Wales car park, containing 1 other car, at Rhyd y Benwch and followed the forestry trail beside the Hafren (River Severn) to its source high above the tree line. Much of the forest has been felled in recent years and replanted with native trees and without those plastic things.

From the source at Blaen Hafren I visited the quartz cairn at spot height 618 then drooped down to the right of Nant Gelligogiau following faint trods that kept disappearing until I reached the boggy, tussocky and marshy ground in the valley bottom. It was hard work crossing the 100yds of it to reach the Afon Hengwm, which I was able to jump, and the another 50 yds on the other side to reach the footpath, with DRY feet, which is so little used and was no more than a trod in places, but easy to follow to the footbridge, which took me back across the river, and then a track all the way to Maesnant, 2 miles downstream.

As an aside, when I reached Maesnant, which was boarded up, I recognised it as the hut we stayed in the weekend that the Herald of Free Enterprise sank in Zeebrugge. We set up our base on the Friday evening and went to George Borrow Hotel for a few beers when the disaster unfolded. We were there until the early hours staring at the TV screen, which was hanging from a high bracket in the bar, and imbibing a skinful!

From Maesnant I followed a good path on the north side of Maesnant stream steeply up to the bwlch between Pumlumon Fach and Pen Pumlumon Fawr. It was so windy that I was struggling to stay upright all the way up the ridge to the summit where I dived into the stone shelter out of the cold wind. I was surprised not to see anyone else there but after 5 minutes heard a noise, looked over the edge of the shelter to see two young ladies on horseback! How they stayed aboard I do not know.

I then set off on a section of lovely runnable grass, followed initially by the horses, to Pen Pumlumon Arwystli passing the source of the River Wye down to the right. After Arwystli it was lovely running again down to the UCW weather station and then a series of forestry roads, tracks and paths back to Rhyd y Benwch

A total of just over 16 miles, 2'858 feet in 3hrs 4min. Clear skies and sunshine but a very strong, cold easterly wind. Only six people seen until I returned to near the car park which jam packed with cars also parked on the verges.

Another fantastic weekend in Mid-Wales and thanks Moley for a great route, although in wet conditions it would have be a different story!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Club session last night.

12 x hill reps of around 250mtrs... nothing too extreme, probably starting at around 6-7% gradient and ramping up to about 10-11% at the top.

I'd toned down the strength work in the last couple of days in order to get a quality session in, and it paid off, feeling strong, if still a little fatigued in the legs... and perhaps a little daunted by the thought of around 18-20mins similarly intense effort to get up to Loughrigg summit next wednesday.

9 miles, plus 4 miles in the morning, gave a solid day.

Club night last night. Cricket boundary intervals, 1 lap hard, 1 lap easy, for 25mins.

Felt heavy-legged, again a combination of things... tuesday's efforts being my first real hard session for a while, a bit of strength work on wednesday, and an hours run yesterday morning. Still a good total yesterday of 14 miles.

This weekend is going to be a real battle to keep the enthusiasm for getting out in the Lakes down to a manageable level, needing to keep legs fresh for next wednesday.

Really looking forward to May, with a host of short and medium races (Loughrigg, Clough Head - Dodd, Fairfleid), building up to a monstrous looking June... (Duddon, Ennerdale, Great Lakes)

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I've got over it

Today I decided to give Moley's recommended run route around the Hafren Forest and Pumlumon a go.

I started from Natural Resources Wales car park, containing 1 other car, at Rhyd y Benwch and followed the forestry trail beside the Hafren (River Severn) to its source high above the tree line. Much of the forest has been felled in recent years and replanted with native trees and without those plastic things.

From the source at Blaen Hafren I visited the quartz cairn at spot height 618 then drooped down to the right of Nant Gelligogiau following faint trods that kept disappearing until I reached the boggy, tussocky and marshy ground in the valley bottom. It was hard work crossing the 100yds of it to reach the Afon Hengwm, which I was able to jump, and the another 50 yds on the other side to reach the footpath, with DRY feet, which is so little used and was no more than a trod in places, but easy to follow to the footbridge, which took me back across the river, and then a track all the way to Maesnant, 2 miles downstream.

As an aside, when I reached Maesnant, which was boarded up, I recognised it as the hut we stayed in the weekend that the Herald of Free Enterprise sank in Zeebrugge. We set up our base on the Friday evening and went to George Borrow Hotel for a few beers when the disaster unfolded. We were there until the early hours staring at the TV screen, which was hanging from a high bracket in the bar, and imbibing a skinful!

From Maesnant I followed a good path on the north side of Maesnant stream steeply up to the bwlch between Pumlumon Fach and Pen Pumlumon Fawr. It was so windy that I was struggling to stay upright all the way up the ridge to the summit where I dived into the stone shelter out of the cold wind. I was surprised not to see anyone else there but after 5 minutes heard a noise, looked over the edge of the shelter to see two young ladies on horseback! How they stayed aboard I do not know.

I then set off on a section of lovely runnable grass, followed initially by the horses, to Pen Pumlumon Arwystli passing the source of the River Wye down to the right. After Arwystli it was lovely running again down to the UCW weather station and then a series of forestry roads, tracks and paths back to Rhyd y Benwch

A total of just over 16 miles, 2'858 feet in 3hrs 4min. Clear skies and sunshine but a very strong, cold easterly wind. Only six people seen until I returned to near the car park which jam packed with cars also parked on the verges.

Another fantastic weekend in Mid-Wales and thanks Moley for a great route, although in wet conditions it would have be a different story!
    Thats an area I know well Llani and you had a great run. Dropped off by my wife once at Ysdafa Gurrig I ran the whole range to meet her at Dylife. A memorable run only meeting a couple of gnarly local farmers on a quad near the top of Arwystli. Have you ever been into Cwm Gwerrin, easiest access from Nant Y Moch reservoir. It's wonderful and a Buddist hermit lived high up in a shallow cave on the cliffs for years. To visit the source of the Hafren and Wye in one walk is great. Two of Wales's finest river rising within a couple of miles of each other.

Had a little run round at Howtown this evening. Up and down Hallin Fell, then round the base of the fell via Sandwick and Howtown Pier. A very steady 4.5 miles and 1350ft.

Felt pretty turbo-charged cardio-wise and flew up the hills (running most of the way up Hallin Fell) but could tell i'd not descended for a while.

Sandwick and environs were particularly lovely and likely to become a regular run.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Thats an area I know well Llani and you had a great run. Dropped off by my wife once at Ysdafa Gurrig I ran the whole range to meet her at Dylife. A memorable run only meeting a couple of gnarly local farmers on a quad near the top of Arwystli. Have you ever been into Cwm Gwerrin, easiest access from Nant Y Moch reservoir. It's wonderful and a Buddist hermit lived high up in a shallow cave on the cliffs for years. To visit the source of the Hafren and Wye in one walk is great. Two of Wales's finest river rising within a couple of miles of each other.
    No MP I've not been up Cwm Gwerrin but on my run last week I remember looking up into it, from the other side of Afon Hengwm, and thinking that it looked very steep sided and surprisingly craggy and would be worth a look sometime. I'll definitely have an explore now, and see if I can find the cave!

What I love about that area the most is that so few people go there.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I've just remembered that I got dropped off with a friend at Eisteddfa Gurig one winter and walked the range, probably the same way as you, to The Star Inn in Dylife. We were breaking the trail in snow, much of it knee deep, for the full route. It was claggy and damp, and although I cannot recall how long it took us it was dark when we finished and seemed to take forever!

Todays run was with a pal, from The Butchers Arms at Reaps Moor. The magnificent sound of Curlews accompanied us over the first few fields to Little Fernyford before the pull up through the heather to the TP at Merryton Low. Down to the Mermaid before more crossing of fields to Lower Green Farm and then up to the TP at Hill House. Steeply down to Upper Elkstone and through a bluebell filled little valley prior to more fields to Moorside Farm. Another short section of heather to reach the third TP at Revidge. A gentle run on track and tarmac back to the Butchers Arms.

A total of 9 and a half miles and 1,334 feet in a steady 1hr 35min. A lovely sunny day with a cooling breeze and surprisingly only 2 others seen.

Thursdays RATRun was from the Bulls Head in Youlgreave. Nine of us dropped into Bradford Dale before crossing fields to Gratton, up Gratton Dale and then Long Dale. Out of Long Dale and then down to Middleton and back into Bradford Dale and up to the Bulls Head where bowls of chips were washed down with a couple of pints of Wainwright. Not a favourite but it did the job!

9 and a half miles and 890feet in 1hr 19min.

This week a total of 28 miles and 3,355 feet running 39 miles and 3,490 feet walking combined with last weeks totals of 24 miles and 3,858 feet running 28 miles and 4,260 feet walking things are ticking along nicely and the shoulder continues to improve.

Onwards and upwards!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    First proper run for three weeks, due to my latest calf injury. Just up to the Outwoods, 29 minutes, leaving home at 10:30am to get it done before the rain started in earnest. Slow enough to appreciate the bluebells.

Hundreds of people out walking in the woods and on the paths to and from them, most of them properly dressed for the forecast conditions.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges