Page 1571 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 571107114711521156115691570157115721573158116211671 ... LastLast
Results 15,701 to 15,710 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

This evenings RATRun was from the Jug and Glass situate near Newhaven on the A515. Down a rough track and then into a Derbyshire Wildlife Trust site in an old quarry and across fields to Heathcote. A bridleway and a short section of tarmac before a sharp climb up to the TP on Wolfscote Hill. Great views over to the Staffordshire Moorlands, Dovedale, the Manifold valley.
    Down to the Whim Brewery and then into Beresford Dale to Hartington and over more fields back to Heathcote and then the reverse route back to the Jug and Glass.

Just under 9 miles and 1,186 feet in 1hr 20 mins. Great to be running with a bit of sun on our backs and back at the J+G fantastic cheesy chips were washed down with a couple of pints of Wainwrights Golden Ale.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

This must be what i'm doing wrong... i stop at the pub after nearly all my fell runs, but rarely have more than a Soda Water with Lime/Blackcurrant/Ice... perhaps a pint of Coke if i've been out for hours.

I obviously need to get involved with some Cheesy Chips...

A steady day today. 6 easy miles on the Penrith Parkrun course this morning. 5 mile easy club run this evening.

Tomorrow planning to run the Hodgson Brothers Relay route (without the drops down to valley changeover points). Hopefully out on fells sunday too, but not quite such a strenuous one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A steady day today. 6 easy miles on the Penrith Parkrun course this morning. 5 mile easy club run this evening.

Tomorrow planning to run the Hodgson Brothers Relay route (without the drops down to valley changeover points). Hopefully out on fells sunday too, but not quite such a strenuous one.
    It makes sense not to lose height unnecessarily - it is long enough without the two valley descents. A great route, especially the stretch over Cofa Pike.

Ran the high level route of the Hodgson Brothers Relay today in fine weather.

Straight uphill to Boredale Hause, no messing about with this flat stuff, and the long slog up to High Street (1hr20)

Then over Thornthwaite Beacon, Stoney Cove Pike and down to Kirkstone (2hr15)..... noting that the descent from Thornthwaite down into Threshthwaite Mouth at speed is much nicer (if still a bit dicey) in dry conditions, rather than the sodden conditions of last sunday.

Tough climb up onto Red Screes and a long grind onto the Fairfield Ridge, which was quite busy. But soon dropped away from the crowds down the descent to Cofa Pike (3hr50).... another long grind over St Sunday Crag and finally back at Patterdale in 4hrs50.

I clocked it at 18 miles and 6700ft. I noticed on the HBR website that TheNoor went round the high level route in 3hr55, so a mere mortal such as myself should be reasonably content with under 5hrs.

The main positive was getting round similar stats to Duddon next week, without any major issues, and importantly, none of the dreaded cramp.

Beautiful day, and quite honestly, days like today are why i moved up here...
    Last edited by Travs; 29-05-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Ran the high level route of the Hodgson Brothers Relay today in fine weather.

Straight uphill to Boredale Hause, no messing about with this flat stuff, and the long slog up to High Street (1hr20)

Then over Thornthwaite Beacon, Stoney Cove Pike and down to Kirkstone (2hr15)..... noting that the descent from Thornthwaite down into Threshthwaite Mouth at speed is much nicer (if still a bit dicey) in dry conditions, rather than the sodden conditions of last sunday.

Tough climb up onto Red Screes and a long grind onto the Fairfield Ridge, which was quite busy. But soon dropped away from the crowds down the descent to Cofa Pike (3hr50).... another long grind over St Sunday Crag and finally back at Patterdale in 4hrs50.

I clocked it at 18 miles and 6700ft. I noticed on the HBR website that TheNoor went round the high level route in 3hr55, so a mere mortal such as myself should be reasonably content with under 5hrs.

The main positive was getting round similar stats to Duddon next week, without any major issues, and importantly, none of the dreaded cramp.

Beautiful day, and quite honestly, days like today are why i moved up here...
    I must try that one day - my partner could drop me off at Kirkstone.

After yesterday's exertions, i'd planned on a lower level run, perhaps round a valley or even a road run. But on waking to a beautiful day, i had to get into the hills, so made a compromise...

Cycled over to Knock on the western edge of the Pennines, and ran up the service-road up to the Radar Station on top of Great Dun Fell at around 2800ft. Recognised as one of the toughest cycle climbs in the country, with a tarmac road all the way, average gradient 9% and maximum 25%...

It was warm today and was only 5 minutes before my suncream was streaming into my eyes, no matter how careful i'd been in applying it.

Had intended on a steady run, but on the slightly less savage middle section, a cyclist came past me, and we can't be having that, so a King Of The Mountains battle commenced... i'm pleased to say the fellrunner came out victorious.... pulling out a big gap on the most unrelenting section... the cyclist attempted a comeback as the gradient became less severe towards the top, but the damage was done.

Altogether it was 10 miles 2100ft. 1hr02 up and 37.5mins down. Ok it wasn't strictly fellrunning, but it was a punishing session... with no navigation issues, and no worries about footing, it was pure effort, and a session which i'll look to make a regular part of my training.

74.5 miles for the week.

A sluggish solo evening run from the Bull i Thorn. Over the fields to Hurdlow and then my first visit to Cronkston Low, a modest little hill but with lovely views. Over to High Needham and after a small stretch of the blackstuff to above Crowdecote a steady pull up to the TP on High Wheeldon.

Fantastic views from the top, especially of Chrome Hill, and also a very welcome cool breeze. Steeply down to Earl Sterndale and then back up to the edge of Dowlow Quarry. A nice airy run to the High Peak Trail and after a mile along it, back over fields to the Bull i Thorn.

7 and a half miles and 824 feet in 1hr 7 min. Once home a short stroll and a thirst quenching couple of pints of Outside In 4.3% from Stancill Brewery in the Lathkil.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 01-06-2021 at 10:27 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Reps around the not-quite-flat field near my home; useful since I have just put an entry in for the Hoby Hop, a not-quite-flat race next Saturday (5 miles with about 250 feet of ascent). Did 8 reps, times ranging from 2m07s to 2m13s, except the last one was 2m17s. Not too painful, but I didn't feel I could push it any faster.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Bit of a poor week by my standards, after burning myself to a crisp last saturday. I finally decided to use some suncream on the sunday but the damage was done. Still peeling a week later. Coupled with chaotic work, wasn't able to manage any club sessions (there wasn't a bona-fide hard fell session anyway).

Hopefully back in business next week, although may well be spending more time than planned in Cov for work purposes.
    Last edited by Travs; 06-06-2021 at 09:52 PM.