Page 1577 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 577107714771527156715751576157715781579158716271677 ... LastLast
Results 15,761 to 15,770 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Very slow run up Beacon Hill. There's something not quite right just below my right hip: it's not painful, but there's a due ache and it feels weak. This started after Ricky's Race, and was made worse by my reps session last Saturday. I've got an entry for the race at the Longshaw Sheepdog Trials on 4th September, but it may be wiser to give my sheepdog a rest.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A gloomy day at home so I was surprised that when I took my son to swimming in Buxton this evening it was much brighter out west. Rather than go home I decided to go for a run up Gun Hill which I have not visited before. I drove to Foule and ran an out and back but with a loop from the summit TP. Lovely running and beautiful views over The Roaches, Shutlingsloe and The Cloud (Bosley) with a beautiful sunset behind it.

I disturbed a group of about a dozen deer grazing in a field to my right and unusually they ran closer to me, and across my bows, to the cover of a copse to my left. A steady 5.5 miles, and 850 feet in 50 minutes.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Did a local parkrun today. It is not the easiest parkrun to clock a quick time (too many tight corners and steep hill sections, which break up the rhythm), so was reasonably satisfied with 18:40

Had planned to go over to Warwick Racecourse which in my opinion is a fast course, where i feel i'm certainly capable of going close to 18mins... but didn't leave enough time so had to stay local.

Still a big improvement on a few weeks ago when i didn't feel "tuned up" at all and ran approx 19:20 at Cov parkrun.
    Last edited by Travs; 28-08-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Finished the week off with 13 miles today.

Makes a solid final score of 76 miles, one very positive rep session, and an encouraging parkrun performance.

Now going into a very busy september. Due to the Stretton Skyline not going ahead in a fortnight, i found myself with a free weekend, and in a fit of optimism/stupidity, have entered a road 10km.

But first things first, next weekend is the British Champs race at Dufton. Won't be making any club sessions this week, so hopefully just keep the mileage solid, and try and fit in a solo session midweek. Possibly 800mtr reps.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Up Beacon Hill via Buck Hill and Felicity's Wood. Felt quite good, and just a little discomfort in the right hip towards the end. So if it doesn't stiffen up, I may go to the Longshaw race after all.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A change in plans meant i was able to make it to club session last night.

Track session.... 12 x 400mtrs with 75secs rest.

Wasn't sure what pace to go at... still feeling a little stiff from the weekend, and with the relatively short recovery periods, i hoped to keep it around 80secs. After starting wildly with an 81 and then a 76, settled in, and all the other reps were 78/79/80secs.

Even did a 13th rep wearing my mate's Nike carbon spring plate shoes, which are absolutely ridiculous and i can see why people are running faster times in them (and can also see why they are banned from a lot of track races!).

10 miles in total, on top of 5 miles in the morning, gave a solid day.

Easy running all the way now until saturday's race at Dufton.
    Last edited by Travs; 01-09-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A change in plans meant i was able to make it to club session last night.

Track session.... 12 x 400mtrs with 75secs rest.

Wasn't sure what pace to go at... still feeling a little stiff from the weekend, and with the relatively short recovery periods, i hoped to keep it around 80secs. After starting wildly with an 81 and then a 76, settled in, and all the other reps were 78/79/80secs.

Even did a 13th rep wearing my mate's Nike carbon spring plate shoes, which are absolutely ridiculous and i can see why people are running faster times in them (and can also see why they are banned from a lot of track races!).

10 miles in total, on top of 5 miles in the morning, gave a solid day.

Easy running all the way now until saturday's race at Dufton.
    Tell us more about the shoes .... it would seem that for you their benefit is really obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Tell us more about the shoes .... it would seem that for you their benefit is really obvious.
    They are the shoes which have been fairly well publicised in the media, with a very springy carbon "plate" somewhere in the sole, which gives greater return from your stride and helps to push you along at a faster pace.

Sounds like marketing bollocks to me, but one or two in my training group swear by them. You can actually hear when someone is wearing them if you are close enough, as there is a pronounced "boing" as they strike the ground.

I put a pair on and actually felt unsteady walking around in them at first, as the foot feels high from the ground... perhaps higher even than in a pair of Hokas. Even at walking pace you can feel the spring in them.

Having done 12 reps and then sat down for 5mins i had stiffened up considerably, but tried them out with a further 400mtr rep.... i'd been doing the reps in 78-80secs, so on this rep i just went round at about 75-80% effort and still hit 80secs.

So it's not necessarily that it gives you huge increases in pace, but it seems that they really ease the fatigue in your legs. My clubmate who wears them regularly confirmed this is the case. They also commented that my legs came up far higher than normal on the back end of my stride, and i actually looked like a "proper runner".

I could see them giving a significant advantage in a race, as it felt like you could maintain a harder pace for longer.

There are however a number of disadvantages in my opinion... for one, i believe they are illegal in the vast majority of sanctioned track races (and i would suspect a similar scenario in higher level road races).

Secondly, yes it would be lovely to instantly shave 30-60secs off my 5km pb... but i'd genuinely rather do it through hard effort than wearing a pair of magic shoes (you're only cheating yourself).

Finally, the price tag of £225 is quite off-putting!
    Last edited by Travs; 02-09-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Master
    Thanks Travs, very interesting. A friend that I used to run with in Suffolk complained that at the Parkrun 5ks he does those at the sharp end all seemed to be wearing these shoes .... then he got a pair himself - he wasn't as convinced as you are of their benefits, or, maybe, wasn't as open about it.

Well I can hardly claim to be the authority on them after a grand total of 400mtrs, but they made a noticeable difference.

And the guy I borrowed them off is a much better runner than me on the flat, and a regular 90-100 mile per week guy, so I assume knows what he's talking about.

There are now various shoe manufacturers making similar types of shoes, and they may well be of varying quality. The ones I tried were Nike Zoom X Vaporfly (I think).