Page 1580 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 580108014801530157015781579158015811582159016301680 ... LastLast
Results 15,791 to 15,800 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Years ago you had to go over behind White Edge to see any deer. Now they come right down into the villages, Curbar, Froggatt, Gridleford, and are regular visitors to our garden. A stag is down here too calling to his ladies for what seem to be most of the night.

Apologies for the off-topic reply, sounds like a great run out despite the weather and the Grouse is a great pub.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

After a trip to the New Balance shop at Shap for some new road shoes, it was time to test them out this evening with some mile reps on the flat parkrun course at Penrith.

First hard session since Peris and wasn't sure how it would go... in the end it went as adequately as could be hoped...

6:10
    6:05
    6:05
    6:00

Didn't want to push any further as i've felt stiff this week and want good quality over the next few weeks. But if i was fresh and raring, i'd be looking to run those reps a good 10secs faster, and be stringing a minimum of 5 of them together.

6 miles in total.

[QUOTE=Travs;675834]After a trip to the New Balance shop at Shap for some new road shoes, it was time to test them out this evening with some mile reps on the flat parkrun course at Penrith.

And what did you buy for your Tarmac Torture Travs?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;675845]
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    After a trip to the New Balance shop at Shap for some new road shoes, it was time to test them out this evening with some mile reps on the flat parkrun course at Penrith.

And what did you buy for your Tarmac Torture Travs?
    I think they were called New Balance Propel...

Don't let the name mislead you though, they are not come carbon-plate cheat shoes.... the "propel" merely refers to the "nitrogen infused high density foam" (whatever that all means)

Anyway i picked them up for £60 when i think the shop RRP for the latest model is £100. As long as they are comfortable and last a reasonable amount of time i'll be satisfied. First impressions were good.

[QUOTE=Travs;675846]
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Don't let the name mislead you though, they are not come carbon-plate cheat shoes.... the "propel" merely refers to the "nitrogen infused high density foam" (whatever that all means)
    Surely an abbreviation for propeller?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Despite the grim forecast today i headed out from Keswick for a steady run. Up and over Latrigg then up Skiddaw via the main route.

Once over the top of Jenkin Hill it was all layers on in the cold wind and rain, and on the top of Skiddaw, i don't know at what wind-speed it is where it becomes almost impossible to stand still... perhaps 45-50mph?... but it was that kind of wind level.

Continued north, getting pushed dangerously quickly by the tail-wind, over Bakestall and down the fence-line to Dash Falls. Turned right for Skiddaw House.

The plan had been to ascend Sale How back up to Skiddaw Little Man, but with the poor conditions i took the easy option of continuing along the Cumbria Way back to Latrigg Car Park and down to Keswick. In the event. this wasn't much of an easy option as the wind was absolutely crashing down the Glenderaterra Valley and making progress quite difficult.

14 miles. Can be thankful that it wasn't too cold... i've certainly been up Skiddaw in much worse... but it was still quite unpleasant.

Had the unusual pleasure of being the only person on top of Skiddaw today.... not many people out at all... so i was surprised to meet a couple of walkers coming the other way on perhaps the most remote part of the route.... they were coming up the fence-line from Dash Falls up onto Bakestall... they obviously have good taste!

Was out on the Hodgson Relay course today. Set off early from Patterdale and made it up to Angle Tarn when the leg 1 runners started to come past. Keswick already with 2mins lead over Ambleside et al.

Continued up towards High Street, and the leg 2 leaders passed me at the top of The Knott... Keswick with a minute lead over Ambleside/Carnethy/Calder, with Helm Hill and Eden 5mins adrift.

Was in the company of racers all the way over High Street, Thornthwaite and down to Threshthwaite Mouth, where i turned right down Pasture Beck, through Hartsop and back to Patterdale.

12 miles.

Great to watch the sharp end of the premier relay race. Keswick's final Pair, (Carl Bell and Mark Lamb?) must've been doing close to 5min/mile up the finishing straight.

Finished the week with 68 miles.

Next week... Hill rep session with Eden at Askham tomorrow night. A 5km club handicap on wednesday. Hoping to be out on the Y3P course on saturday, and probably a rep session next sunday.

Master
    [QUOTE=Travs;675846]
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

I think they were called New Balance Propel...

Anyway i picked them up for £60 when i think the shop RRP for the latest model is £100. As long as they are comfortable and last a reasonable amount of time i'll be satisfied. First impressions were good.
    Would these be those ? https://startfitness.co.uk/products/...39839368839376
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Continued up towards High Street, and the leg 2 leaders passed me at the top of The Knott... Keswick with a minute lead over Ambleside/Carnethy/Calder, with Helm Hill and Eden 5mins adrift.
    Carnethy must have had a great leg 2 from there. They came into Kirkstone in first, around a minute up on Keswick.

Tonight's RATRun was another gentle effort due to upcoming weekend racing. I was also testing my calf after 3 days of rest, as it was a bit sore following my "Fishwicking" last weekend.

From The Manners in Bakewell we set off on the Monsal Trail then along the bridleway section of Coombs Road before up through Manners Wood to Calton Pastures and across to Ball Cross before a descent through the woods back to the Manners.

Six and a half miles and 750 feet in just under an hour. On an exceptionally balmy October evening we sat outside The Manners to enjoy very expensive chips washed down with Robinson's Dizzy Blonde and Wizard.

Fingers crossed that the calf will be OK tomorrow and I'll make it to the 3Peaks start line on Saturday!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 07-10-2021 at 11:41 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog