Page 1591 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 591109114911541158115891590159115921593160116411691 ... LastLast
Results 15,901 to 15,910 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Last bit of brisk running before the Valleys on sunday.

6 x 2mins hard/1 min easy.

Although this was more about getting the legs turning over nicely, rather than putting in real efforts. Only really reached usual effort pace on the last couple.

4 miles.

Depression doesn't help either. If I get off the sofa sometimes that's a big win.

The body is very good at adapting to consistent physical activity, but cannot always react quickly enough to protect itself from a sudden influx of free radicals produced by infrequent high intensity exercise. Exercising several times a week at a moderate, comfortable intensity from which you can recover easily is the best way to increase your body's natural antioxidant defences and reduce oxidative stress. However if you are a weekend warrior who does little or no exercise during the week but engages in intense exercise at the weekend, you may be doing more harm than good
    Quite a relevant section from Oxygen Advantage there. Suggestion is that tissue damage can occur if you don't have that solid base that people talk about. I'm the weekend warrior!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Another solid total of 71 miles this week. Encouraged by my performance (if not the result!) today at Long Mynd Valleys, so i'm happy training is taking me in the right direction.

No race next weekend, so perhaps a local parkrun.

After racing in Shropshire on sunday, i was rather dismayed to see that our training session last night was.... hill reps!

Half an hour of uphill reps between lamposts up a road which was probably about 8-9% gradient at worst. It would take me about 10mins to shuttle all the way up to the top of the hill... so i took the first set very steadily, sped up on the second set, and was chasing to lap someone on the third and final set, so hung on at a decent speed.

Didn't overly push too hard as not fully recovered from sunday, but an 8.5 mile total session, on top of 5.5 miles in the morning, was a good day.

I saw that a friend did a brutal looking session of 4 x 10 minute reps yesterday, and fancy giving that a go myself, perhaps tomorrow if i feel good. Then hopefully squeeze in a parkrun on saturday morning, which i doubt will be anywhere near a pb, but would round off a good week of work.

Had a rush of blood to the head in the last few days and have entered two track races in the 2nd half of the year, at vastly opposite ends of the scale.... a 1500mtrs race in August, and a 25hr race in October.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-02-2022 at 09:39 AM.

25hr! That's quite an undertaking. Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    25hr! That's quite an undertaking. Which one?
    https://www.track100.net/

One of the big attractions for me is having family living close by, so may get a bit of moral support (and possibly somewhere to crash if things go wrong!)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    https://www.track100.net/

One of the big attractions for me is having family living close by, so may get a bit of moral support (and possibly somewhere to crash if things go wrong!)
    Did you miss the bit about no supporters Travs?

Not my cup of tea but good luck to you. Sounds like it is as much about mental endurance as it is fitness.

And all for less than £1 a mile!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Did you miss the bit about no supporters Travs?

Not my cup of tea but good luck to you. Sounds like it is as much about mental endurance as it is fitness.

And all for less than £1 a mile!
    I did see that... my assumption is that it was written for the 2020 edition, and hasn't been updated for 2022. Although i could be wrong.

4 x 10 minute efforts this morning, with 3 minute rests between.

I didn't go flat out, nor did i monitor my pace.... instead concentrating on trying to be relaxed throughout. But at an estimate i'd say the reps were somewhere either side of 20min/5km pace.

8 miles in total.

Hoping to have a bash at a local parkrun on saturday, not a pb attempt, hopefully just keep it somewhere in the low 19's