Page 1593 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 59310931493154315831591159215931594159516031643 ... LastLast
Results 15,921 to 15,930 of 16909

Thread: Today's Training

I do like Baslow. I remember my very first trip to the hills, we travelled through on our way to Derwent/Ladybower... and never having really seen anywhere like Baslow before, i was amazed that one village could have so many gorgeous looking pubs. It always stuck with me, despite everywhere else i've been since!
    Last edited by Travs; 18-02-2022 at 09:22 AM.

Yes Travs, Baslow is a nice spot.

Very expensive property wise and many residents are wealthy Sheffielders from just over the border. The adjoining villages of Curbar, Froggatt and Calver are similar but with fewer pubs!

I tend to avoid them, especially in summer, as they are tourist traps and very busy. However, we were the only ones in the Robin Hood last night!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Baslow is far too posh for me. The Derwent Water Arms in Calver is very good as is the Grouse which I would claim is in Froggatt, the Chequers has been more of an eatery for many years.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

With you on the Grouse bigfella.

After a wild weather trot around the moors a pint by the fire in the Grouse is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A warm fire but too late for chips so Pipers Crisps were washed down with a very poorly travelled Cumberland Ale 4% from Jennings and a much better Old Empire Ale 5.7% from Marstons.
    Cumberland Ale isn't what it used to be I feel. Wainwright is another one to avoid as it is now brewed by Marston Coors, not Thwaites.

Yeah, Cumberland now brewed by Wychwood, the same people who bring you Hobgoblin which tastes like a pint of morning after the night before vomit.

Too many economy ales, it's a minefield, they should all have to be called Tetley's by law.

I wrongly blamed my rubbish pint of Cumberland Ale on its travels from the Lakes but its probably just come up the road from Marstons. Like you say Mr B its now a minefield out there with multi national so called brewers buying up traditional good ales for their names and ruining them.

On the positive side there are a lot of great small brewery's around, one of which is Wincle who's Rookery Wood Dark Ale @ 3.8% slid down very nicely this evening.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill, Brrombriggs and Windmill Hill. Longer than originally intended, and earlier in the day. The reasons were: the weather forecast showed heavy rain all afternoon, whereas it was just spitting when I went out before lunch (although I suppose a dedicated fell runner would prefer to train in the heavy rain; and the unexpected appearance of cake after the morning service at church today. According to Mossdog's Cake Theory (see #8 here: https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...25202-fat-camp), a brownie and a flapjack, admittedly both fairly small, entitled me to an extra long run.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A very easy 8 miles this morning rounded off a solid and encouraging week.... 74.5 miles.

Next week will be similar... will do tuesday club session, then keep it steady for the National XC on saturday.

Doubt i'll hit the target 70 miles this week... feeling very stiff after yesterday's racing, and going to miss at least one session tomorrow due to having to go into the office (the absolute cheek of it!)

Came 2nd in the club XC handicap for the season. Needed to beat my rival by 6:10 yesterday, and could only manage 5:45 in front, so he snatched it... Nearly 3hrs of racing over the league season and it came down to 25 seconds!
    Last edited by Travs; 20-02-2022 at 07:24 PM.