Page 1596 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 59610961496154615861594159515961597159816061646 ... LastLast
Results 15,951 to 15,960 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Running from Loughborough station to Prestwold Hall? I hope you survive the A60 from the station to Cotes: that's a horrible stretch of road, with a lot of traffic, and a rather narrow footway which disappears altogether on a couple of bridges. And the B676 from Cotes to Prestwold isn't much better. Of course, you could get a bit of mud on your shoes, with an extra mile or two of warm-up, on a footpath route via Hoton Hills farm.
    Yes running Station to Prestwold (and back)

If i post on here tomorrow i've survived the ordeal!

Of greater concern if i'm honest, is finding something to eat afterwards in Loughborough, when i'm no doubt plastered in mud from Prestwold. Probably have to be the chippy then!

Ran my first road 10K for many years today (don't ask why, it's to do with being a club coach and encouraging others)
    Well I managed to scrape in just under 50minutes and was 5/9 V60 - though I've only got 2 more months in this catergory.
    I used to be able to do 40 minutes! Ah the joys of getting older.

A very easy 8.5 miles today bought the week to an end.

Final score 75 miles.

Next week: Club session tuesday, where i believe we are doing a hill session. Will lose a whole day next saturday, so perhaps squeeze a rep session in on friday, and maybe a decent long run on sunday.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    8 reps round the field near home. Fastest was 2m03s, slowest was 2m06s; not only remarkable consistency (for me), but also quite fast compared to my usual speed on this circuit. But I'm not sure that I've got sufficient speed to make it round the Higham Hill Race before it's too dark: https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...159#post678159

I found these tougher than my Outwoods hill reps; probably because, whereas in the Outwoods I jog back down the hill and then give myself a minute or so before the next rep, on the field circuit I just give myself around 1m10s between the end of one rep and starting the next.

I have been used to wearing a base layer for all my runs over the last few months, so I automatically put one on today. Yes, I was too warm.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Hill session last night. 4 x 5 minute efforts, with 2 minute rests.

Still not 100% fresh due to some heavy mileage and race/session fatigue, but threw caution to the wind as i have no race this weekend (and indeed a whole day off on saturday as i'll be at football).

8 miles for the session, and 12 miles for the day. Its been another solid start to the week.

After another 10 days rest from running this evenings RATRun was from my local, The Lathkil Hotel. This venue chosen so that if the calf played up I could walk/jog back to the pub/home.

Great to set off in daylight under a rising Worm Moon, six of us enjoyed the soft fields down to Noton Barn and on to Intake Lane. A right turn through very muddy woods to Wigger Dale and then across fields to Haddon Hall. Back up to Shining Bank quarry where headtorches were donned and on to Dark Lane and Alport. Up Lathkill Dale to Conksbury and then a left up to Meadow Place Farm. Back down into Lathkill Dale before the steep pull up to the pub.

Once inside, chips without cheese, I forgot to ask for it, were washed down with excellent BG Sips 4% from the Blue Monkey Brewery. The calf survived the gently paced 8 miles and 1,001 feet in 1hr 16min and hopefully will not be angry in the morning!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 18-03-2022 at 01:14 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A combination of a bit of illness, and being absolutely hectic at work (which may well continue for another week or two), meant training has been almost completely stunted this week, until yesterday... also giving up a rare place in the 1st team for today's road relays to someone in better shape.

10 miles yesterday though, a good 8.5 this morning, including some horrendous 15% gradient treadmill reps, and some more tonight and tomorrow, and should still see somewhere between 30-40 for the week.

Next week i have a very interesting sounding descending training course on the Long Mynd, with someone AnthonyKay may well have crossed paths with in the past (Colin Lancaster, a very good fellrunner and steeplechaser). Then the week after is the Llangollen fell race (i must admit not my fave race, but at 18 miles a decent distance, and an ideal runout three weeks before the Y3P.

Also decided to enter the Warwickshire Athletics Champs in May... and rather than being sensible and doing the 1500 or 3000, a rush of blood to the head saw me entering the steeplechase (having only ever ran it once before).... i'm clinging onto the fact that i'm currently the only entry, so a potential medal is in grasp, if i can avoid kneecapping myself on the water-jump.
    Last edited by Travs; 26-03-2022 at 03:46 PM.

11 miles today, bringing the weekly total to 33.5.... also played football with the lads for an hour. Obviously i'm clearly fit enough to run round for an hour, but its quite surprising that i'm not suffering from the other demands like quick turns, stretching, etc. Especially considering it's getting on for 10 years since i played competitively.

Been testing out some new equipment at the gym, a Belt Squat Machine... where the loaded weights are attached round your waist with a weight-belt, rather than the traditional loading up of a bar onto your back.

Supposedly helps people with back issues to squat... i've got no such issues but still find it preferable to traditional squats. No thinking about loading up the bar properly and positioning it across your shoulders... just get the belt on and away you go. Highly recommended.

Next week training should be back to somewhere near normal regularity. But work still very busy and certainly going to lose a couple of double-training days, which makes it much harder to keep up that 70 mile average.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Been testing out some new equipment at the gym, a Belt Squat Machine... where the loaded weights are attached round your waist with a weight-belt, rather than the traditional loading up of a bar onto your back.

Supposedly helps people with back issues to squat... i've got no such issues but still find it preferable to traditional squats. No thinking about loading up the bar properly and positioning it across your shoulders... just get the belt on and away you go. Highly recommended.
    Just watched a video on Youtube demonstrating a Belt Squat Machine. Certainly looks easy to setup and very safe (always an important consideration). Can see a rather big drawback, however. I'm currently squatting with 112kg, (just under 18 stone in old money), and in competitive weightlifting style the bar weight only goes upwards. With these sort of weights a belt would never work, I'd need some sort of rucksack which then puts the same sort of loading on your shoulders/back as a bar

I'm not 100% sure I understand the issue... I've seen plenty of others loading up big weights on them...

But all the same, 112kg is an impressive squat. I never go over 60kg, admittedly I do endurance sets of 15-25 rather than going for pure strength. Will often load up around 120kg on the inverted leg press though (but that's much easier than squatting)