Page 1597 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 59710971497154715871595159615971598159916071647 ... LastLast
Results 15,961 to 15,970 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    But all the same, 112kg is an impressive squat. I never go over 60kg, admittedly I do endurance sets of 15-25 rather than going for pure strength. Will often load up around 120kg on the inverted leg press though (but that's much easier than squatting)
    Up to 112.5kg today for one set of 7. I think 120kg is well within range, and once there will try to work my way up to 150kg

Not sure I'll reach my 158kg PB, from 11 years ago, but it's the sort of thing that plays on your mind as I was getting close to 3 x bodyweight.

I just can't lift in the real strength range on lower body and run 70 miles a week, and do hard club sessions.

Even when i lift high weight/low reps on upper body i find it draining combined with lots of running. i guess its the cumulative toll on the CNS.

I just can't lift in the real strength range on lower body and run 70 miles a week, and do hard club sessions.

Even when i lift high weight/low reps on upper body i find it draining combined with lots of running. i guess its the cumulative toll on the CNS.
    It is possible to over train, (I'm not suggesting that you're doing it by the way), and it is certainly difficult to fit in all the training that you want to do - not just with the time restraints, but also with the limitations of your body. I was always told that some runners did their best work in training, and the risk is doing too much training, or too much of a certain type, causing this to happen to you.

I never did upper body work with weights or any form of equipment. Outside of the sprint events, which I was the wrong body type for, adding upper body muscle is detrimental to your running speed so I never did it.

What I did do, however, was always do weight work before training or on days when I wasn't running. Doing 1 set of a low rep never fatigued me, or left any soreness or ill effects, even when I was squatting with over 2.8 x my bodyweight on the bar. As I've said previously, it did help my fell running considerably which I can say with some certainty as living in the wrong area, so to speak, I usually only ran on the fells when racing.

The hard thing is to find the most effective training for you, and this I would suggest is where considerable skill is required.
    Last edited by Marco; 29-03-2022 at 05:50 PM.

The Manchester Marathon, Covid and work commitments depleted the first RATRun of BST to 3 hardy souls. Hardy we had to be in an icy NE wind and snow flurries. From The Packhorse Inn at Crowdecote we crossed the River Dove into Staffordshire and up to Knowsley Hill before dropping down the other side to the River Manifold. North alongside the river to Longnor, along Top of T' Edge, down to Beggars Bridge and over the Dove back into Derbyshire.
    On to Open Access land and very steeply up to the TP at High Wheeldon and on, again over OA land to Pilsbury Castle. A final mile or so of pasture land back to the Packhorse.

Once inside cheesy chips were washed down with, a little too cold, Lady of the Lake 4.2% from Glastonbury Ales. A very cold but enjoyable run on mainly firm ground. 8 miles, 1,410 feet in 1hr 24 min.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 01-04-2022 at 12:05 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I think its fair to say that Llani is our authority on cheesy-chips.

I was supposed to be on a descending course on the Long Mynd tomorrow but its been called off due to the snow (being predominantly aimed at beginners, it didn't come as a shock).

Still heading over though, to repeat a training run which i did a few times between the first lockdown ending and races restarting.

Had a stormer today.

Went over to the Long Mynd to run a route on the middle section of the Stretton Skyline race, on the "far" side of the A49.

Starting at the A49, following the race route up Ragleth, up and over Caradoc and to the summit of Lawley, then reversing the route exactly, back over Caradoc and Ragleth.

I ran this route a couple of times in the period between the end of the first lockdown, and before races restarted. Being raring to go at that time, i posted a 2hr21 on my 2nd visit, which i thought was fairly nippy.

So would be interesting to see how today would compare.

From the off it was clear that i was moving well. I had no idea of my splits from last time so couldn't tell if i was moving quicker, but the percieved effort certainly felt easier, on everything from climbs, descents, and the long grinding section along the road/fields/that awful sloping path up to the foot of Caradoc.

Despite being temporarily misplaced for a couple of minutes coming off Ragelth in the trees, managed to get up to the turnaround point on Lawley in 1hr05, so well under half the total time of before, and with three of the 5 climbs out of the way.

No time to get complacent though as the ups on the way back are particularly grinding... the long drawn-out climb up Caradoc followed by a sharp finish, then the slog up through the streets and trees onto Ragelth.

As i neared the end it was clear i was chasing 2hrs05, and i threw everything at it, but had to settle for 2:06:30 at the finish... how vital those couple of minutes in the trees on the first descent were!!

12 miles, 4100ft. And very, very encouraging. I don't know whether it just all came good today, but i felt fresher than i have done at any race during the winter. And i've by no means had an easy week of training.

Whilst i wouldn't say i was quite in 100% race mode, i can't have been far off, as i realised once back to the car that i had not looked up at the view once!! The only time i'd even remotely stopped was on Caradoc summit on the return, to scoop up some snow into my cap to cool my head.

Been a while since i've had a stormer.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

10 very easy miles across a couple of runs today. Also played football with the lads as well.

73.5 miles for the week.

Yesterday was really encouraging, just what i needed coming into some more regular fell racing.

Next weekend.... well the original plan was Llangollen Fell Race on the sunday, which is a long 18 mile slog, but was hoping to attack it and go for a pb. However there's a 50/50 chance i'm going to pulled into the team for the National Road Relay on saturday as well, which may make sunday even tougher.

Obviously it will be a rare honour indeed to run for the first team (and things must be bad if i'm being considered for selection), and unlikely i'll ever get another chance to run in the team at the National 12-stage. I'll just have to see what materialises next weekend and do my best.

Also entered a track 10000m in a couple of weeks time. Though have downgraded my ambitious steeplechase plans at the County Champs, and just going to run the flat 3000m instead. Didn't fancy clattering myself 7 days before the first English Champs Race at Tebay.

I think its fair to say that Llani is our authority on cheesy-chips.

I was supposed to be on a descending course on the Long Mynd tomorrow but its been called off due to the snow (being predominantly aimed at beginners, it didn't come as a shock).

Still heading over though, to repeat a training run which i did a few times between the first lockdown ending and races restarting.
    Hi

Could you share some info about the descending course?
    Would be interested. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    Hi

Could you share some info about the descending course?
    Would be interested. Thanks!

Hi Shropshire Lad...

It's organised and taught by Colin Lancaster, who used to be the Race Organiser for Callow, Mynd Dragon races.

Based from Little Stretton Village Hall, its couple of hours long, and i think includes 20-30 minutes discussion etc, then out onto the fell for some practical work.

Are you on facebook? I found the details off the Shropshire Fell Running facebook page.

It has now been rearranged to Sat 23rd April (although i notice he has added some more dates in May as well).

Otherwise you could email Colin for more details...

[email protected]