Page 1602 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 60211021502155215921600160116021603160416121652 ... LastLast
Results 16,011 to 16,020 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    On beetroot: in my childhood I was sometimes given pickled beetroot (and expected to eat it all). I believe that the punishment should fit the crime: the inventor of pickled beetroot should be suspended in vinegar until his flesh becomes flabby and tasteless.

Anyway, I avoided beetroot after that, but in more recent years I have been having a weekly organic veg box from Riverford, which has occasionally included beetroot. I have discovered that it is entirely acceptable in moderate amounts if eaten raw. In fact I can even accept having the cucumber and lettuce in a salad being stained purple by the inclusion of beetroot. It's still not one of my more favoured vegetables, and I've never tried doping myself with it before a race; but I no longer find it objectionable.
    Growing up in Australia, no salad sandwich was complete without a slice of pickled beetroot - but Aussie pickled beetroot is totally different from that in the UK, far sweeter, far less acidic.

I recently added some leftover long life beetroot to a mushroom lasagna - the earthiness of the mushrooms cancelled out that of the beetroot leaving just their sweetness - delicious.

Beetroot again!

Which is best (performance and cost)?

8 x 1 Lr cartons https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beet-Organi...2426765&sr=8-5

or 15x 70 ml doses

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...2?skuid=060488
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Beetroot again!

Which is best (performance and cost)?

8 x 1 Lr cartons https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beet-Organi...2426765&sr=8-5

or 15x 70 ml doses

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...2?skuid=060488
    Mmmh £2/litre carton in Tesco Ilkley this morning. Apart from the bulk of the population living in care homes Ilkley is a hot bed of trendy athleticism.

For my part I eschewed the offer but instead wondered how quickly, after deciding fell racing at my time of life is beyond me if I wish to retain any dignity, I should return to a sybaritic life of self indulgence after decades of asceticism. Crisps, fish & chips, beer, cheese, chocolate...oh temptation, come on in!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-05-2022 at 03:11 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I'm not sure how concentrated those shots are. Surely there's not a litre's worth in just 70 mL. I'd go for the cartons.

"Sybaritic" - every day's a school day. Very fitting, Graham, given your love of Italian opulence.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Apparently there is the equivalent of 500ml of straight juice in the 70ml shot. This from the manufacturer's web site:
    Beetroot is particularly high in nitrate, however, on average you would need to consume ~500ml of beetroot juice for an adequate dose of dietary nitrate (~400mg) – this is a lot of beetroot juice to consume before exercise. As such, we developed the concentrated beetroot juice shot to control the dose of nitrate in a more convenient 70ml format.
    I know which I'd prefer
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Back to the topic of this thread . . . . A run up Beacon Hill via Buck Hill and Felicity's Wood. The direct route over the heathland on the upper part of Beacon Hill is closed off again:

A 2-hour walk with some new diversions on Beacon Hill. Going up the North face of the hill, there is a gate onto the open heathland, close to the 210m contour. Today I found the gate locked, with a notice saying that to protect ground-nesting birds, this area of heathland would be out of bounds until further notice (this has never happened in the past). I took the recommended diversion, along some rather boring paths via the main car park, so on the way down I decided to recce a better route. I found a small, steep trod which comes out on the track which passes the aforementioned gate.

So, instead of the 120 metres of unbroken ascent from the Woodbrook valley to the summit, I will now have about 80 metres of ascent, then along the track with about 10 metres of descent, then the final 50 metres of ascent at quite a challenging gradient via the trod; although the first challenge will be finding the start of the trod. I have noted that it's by the first beech tree on the right after the double bend in the track.
    I have decided that the trod that starts by the second beech tree is better. Anyway, this steep, narrow trod should be good training for Parkin Clough at the Bamford Sheepdog Trials race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Apparently there is the equivalent of 500ml of straight juice in the 70ml shot. This from the manufacturer's web site:
    Beetroot is particularly high in nitrate, however, on average you would need to consume ~500ml of beetroot juice for an adequate dose of dietary nitrate (~400mg) – this is a lot of beetroot juice to consume before exercise. As such, we developed the concentrated beetroot juice shot to control the dose of nitrate in a more convenient 70ml format.
    I know which I'd prefer
    If the point is to take in nitrate... drinking beetroot juice might be a long way round when you can buy nitrate pills and good old SIS will sell you nitrate shots.

Tasting of apple.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    If the point is to take in nitrate... drinking beetroot juice might be a long way round when you can buy nitrate pills and good old SIS will sell you nitrate shots.

Tasting of apple.
    I just know that I want whatever Mike T is having!

I'm still desperately attempting to avoid Hedone getting her clutches into me; well for just a little while longer.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Back to the topic of this thread . . . . A run up Beacon Hill via Buck Hill and Felicity's Wood. The direct route over the heathland on the upper part of Beacon Hill is closed off again:

I have decided that the trod that starts by the second beech tree is better. Anyway, this steep, narrow trod should be good training for Parkin Clough at the Bamford Sheepdog Trials race.
    This was my first ever fell race back in 2015...

Inadequately shod in cheap "trail shoes", within about three steps on the steep greasy slope of Parkin Clough i went absolutely flying. Welcome to fellracing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I just know that I want whatever Mike T is having!

I'm still desperately attempting to avoid Hedone getting her clutches into me; well for just a little while longer.
    I did try ordinary beetroot juice - it is foul, room temperature or fridge cold, and 500 ml is a lot - before settling on the 400 mg 70 ml shots. I see the SIS product is similar, but based on rhubarb - a bit more nitrate, a bit more expensive.

What difference do the shots make? For me it feels like I have had a rest day, even when I haven't.