Page 1616 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 61611161516156616061614161516161617161816261666 ... LastLast
Results 16,151 to 16,160 of 16918

Thread: Today's Training

That weather report of your run today Travs is not good news for a friend of mine who set off from Keswick at 0700 this morning on a clockwise BG.

Having said that he seems to be going well as he was on Rossett Pike at 1708, which is 50 mins ahead of his 22 hrs schedule.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I ascended from Browfoot Lane and Capple Howe. It was a bit of an ordeal with the bracken. Managed to find a bit of a trod heading the correct direction.
    That area around Capple Howe is pretty grim. Bracken, bogs, streams, difficult-to-cross walls. I have given up on trying to find a decent way through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    That weather report of your run today Travs is not good news for a friend of mine who set off from Keswick at 0700 this morning on a clockwise BG.

Having said that he seems to be going well as he was on Rossett Pike at 1708, which is 50 mins ahead of his 22 hrs schedule.
    Its quite lucky its not another 5 degrees colder... that said, wind-chill was apparently close to zero up high.

I think in racing (or indeed BG) mentality, it would be more a case of get your head down and get on with it... i never thought i was in much danger of cold, but it was deeply unpleasant.

I'd imagine the main issue on a BG is the slippery rocks over legs 4 and 5, coupled with the wind which would be very debilitating if you're running into it.

I'd imagine the main issue on a BG is the slippery rocks over legs 4 and 5, coupled with the wind which would be very debilitating if you're running into it.
    And due to his chosen 0700 start he'll be doing legs 4 and 5 in the dark!

It must be incredibly slippy up there now... its been really hammering down most of the day, there was a biblical downpour about an hour ago.

Shame he isn't coming through Leg 5 at the "usual" time as i'd offer to run the road section with him, as i'm only a mile from where you hit the road... not sure about heading out at 4am though!
    Last edited by Travs; 20-08-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Only 5%? At the recent Bradwell English Championship race, the proportion of M60+ among the men was around 20%. See also my recent comments on the Turnslack race thread.

When I started fell-running, "Super-Veterans" (over 50) were quite a rarity. In recent years I have seen fell race results in which there are more finishers in the 50-59 age group than Seniors (21-39). Steve Chilton has been writing a book about the rise in female participation in fell running; I think his next project should be to write about the rise in oldies' participation.

Has the rise in participation among oldies been accompanied by a decline in participation among younger seniors (the Junior fell running scene seems healthy enough, but it's the 21-39's who seem in short supply)? And if so, why? Is it because of the rise in trail running? Is trail running perceived as more trendy, or maybe younger runners hear about trail running because it is well publicised, and they never hear of fell running. This year I have run two races advertised as trail races, and I have been first M60+ in both of them; something that is never likely to happen in a race on the FRA calendar, where there would sometimes be one or two M70's ahead of me.

I think Championship race vet entries are distorted. Vets will turn out because of the prospect of medals (believe me - I know!)but will not turn out week after week. Of course champ entries are high overall but the younger runners will be racing every week. Vets need to look after themselves more.

Your point about the availability now of trail races, which was not the case 30 years ago, as an alternative to fell running is an interesting one. However as one who has not welcomed the growth in fell race participants I have no complaint.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

It must be incredibly slippy up there now... its been really hammering down most of the day, there was a biblical downpour about an hour ago.

Shame he isn't coming through Leg 5 at the "usual" time as i'd offer to run the road section with him, as i'm only a mile from where you hit the road... not sure about heading out at 4am though!
    Well, despite the conditions, he completed in 21.57, which was 3 minutes inside his 22hr target.

Take a bow Matt Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Has the rise in participation among oldies been accompanied by a decline in participation among younger seniors (the Junior fell running scene seems healthy enough, but it's the 21-39's who seem in short supply)? And if so, why? Is it because of the rise in trail running? Is trail running perceived as more trendy, or maybe younger runners hear about trail running because it is well publicised, and they never hear of fell running
    Like me the probably found it didn't mix with drinking, smoking weed and nightclubbing. I quit sport when I started DJing in clubs in the early 2000s, the hard house scene was booming and it drew me in. In retrospect, with a vo2 of 62 at age 14 it was a bad choice.

It was so humid yesterday evening that for the first time ever I ran with my T-shirt in my hand. I only put it back on whilst approaching and passing the local pub as I didn't want to get anyone excited !

Initially down the fields to Haddon Hall, and then up and down into and out of Lathkill and Bradford Dales. Nearly all off road and very enjoyable. The underside of my heel/sole was not painful but felt very hot by the end so I sat with it in a tub of cold water for 20 minutes when I got home.

10 miles, 1'158 feet in a steady 1hr 34 min.

102 miles this week.

Shifted things round to take advantage of today's superb weather, resulting in a higher than expected total, as did the Borrowdale Watershed today...

But the manner of the 100+ miles was pleasing... it wasn't all messing around on the fells taking photos... there were two tough club sessions, and one full rest day.

Next week will be another big week, plenty of fell miles. A decent quality run out planned at Whinlatter on wednesday.... and may or may not line up at Dufton Show next saturday.