Page 1618 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 61811181518156816081616161716181619162016281668 ... LastLast
Results 16,171 to 16,180 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Been in Llani for a few days, the highlight being a run at the top end of a very low Llyn Clywedog, due to water being released to keep the English hydrated downstream.

From the fancy named Fishing Lodge along the road to Cwm Biga and then into the forestry and around the "Osprey Loop". I had thought, and been wrongly told, that they had already set off for Africa, but no, as I ran under the nest site there was an almighty squawking and four birds appeared from the forestry, not the nest site. Two adults and two juveniles in all their splendour. I was committed to the loop and got the same welcome when I passed the nest site around 15 minute later on my return.

If I had known that they were still around I would not have started the loop and gone so close especially with all the camera's around. On my return to the Fishing Lodge I was treated to a fishing display by one of the adult birds. Fantastic.

Just over 7 miles, 658 feet in 58 minutes.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A glorious evening for tonight's RATRun from the New Inn at Flash. Five of us set off up to Cheeks Hill and around to Dane Bower Chimney. Down the Dane Valley to Three Shires Head and then back up to Flash via Hawks Nest.
    Just under Seven and a half miles, 1'062 feet in 1hr 8 mins. Once back at the New Inn we discovered that they no longer do food, so assorted crisps were washed down with a very good Hen Cloud, 3.9% from the nearby Wincle Brewery. The landlady informed us that we would be welcome to bring our own food on future visits, as we had done after the first lockdown.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Living in Leek and running around the Roaches/Gradbach/Flash regularly, that's useful to know, thanks Llani Boy.

An easy paced day today. From Newlands up the ridge to Robinson, along the edge, bypassing Hindscarth, and up to Dale Head.

From there i had a good look round at the Borrowdale descent, all the way down to Rosthwaite... splitting my investigations into two parts... first the descent down to the tarn, and then the descent through the quarries... findings were inconclusive... picked up a few pointers, but will have to wait until i race there again in order to battle-test them.

From Rosthwaite along the road to Grange and over Hause Gate to Newlands.

This evening just went out onto the roads and did a few drills and 5 x 250mtr efforts, to loosen my legs up with a view to racing at Dufton tomorrow.... will likely give it a go if i feel refreshed enough in the morning, but having done over 95 miles already this week, i'll just be treating it as a quick training run.

Today's total 16.5 miles.
    Last edited by Travs; 26-08-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

From there i had a good look round at the Borrowdale descent, all the way down to Rosthwaite... splitting my investigations into two parts... first the descent down to the tarn, and then the descent through the quarries... findings were inconclusive... picked up a few pointers, but will have to wait until i race there again in order to battle-test them.

From Rosthwaite along the road to Grange and over Hause Gate to Newlands.
    Ah yes - always a bit of a quandary that. I think there really is only one quick way through rigg head quarry but the descent from Dale Head to the tarn offers plenty of variation. I always used to favour the long right hook, heading SE off the summit and coming in just shy of Launchy Tarn which is very runnable. There are also a couple of gullies which offer a good descent and avoid the worst of the central boulder field but are tricky to find from above. Lately I've just stuck to a grassy line just south of the main path. Truth is (well at least for me), I don't think there's much in it whichever you choose.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Ah yes - always a bit of a quandary that. I think there really is only one quick way through rigg head quarry but the descent from Dale Head to the tarn offers plenty of variation. I always used to favour the long right hook, heading SE off the summit and coming in just shy of Launchy Tarn which is very runnable. There are also a couple of gullies which offer a good descent and avoid the worst of the central boulder field but are tricky to find from above. Lately I've just stuck to a grassy line just south of the main path. Truth is (well at least for me), I don't think there's much in it whichever you choose.
    I'd be struggling to justify going all that way out right. The conventional wisdom you hear on the start line is always go off to the right... but as you say, you need to go a long way out to find anything really runnable. I'm fairly set on taking a pretty direct line as you suggest, straight down.

A steady 7 miles today brings a monster week to an end with 112.5 miles.... my highest ever weekly total, and only the third time i've ventured over 100 miles in a week.

I've got the utmost respect for those who can consistently manage 100 mile weeks whilst working... i feel i could get close if every week was like last week, i.e not working, but throw work and normal life into the mix and its just a non-starter for me.

I guess i need to work on getting the maximum out of the 70mpw average i seem to be hitting this year.

Next week is the Stretton Skyline.... along with gaining champs points (which hasn't exactly been a rip-roaring success), my other primary target for this year is sub 3hrs at Stretton Skyline. My previous best is just over 3:10, and was running well then, but that was in 2018 and i'd like to think i can find 10mins+ to shave off that performance.

No expectations for this weeks training other than to be fresh next sunday on the start line. The hard work is done and i just need to come up with the performance next sunday.
    Last edited by Travs; 28-08-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Master
    A steady 7 miles today brings a monster week to an end with 112.5 miles.... my highest ever weekly total, and only the third time i've ventured over 100 miles in a week.

I've got the utmost respect for those who can consistently manage 100 mile weeks whilst working... i feel i could get close if every week was like last week, i.e not working, but throw work and normal life into the mix and its just a non-starter for me.

I guess i need to work on getting the maximum out of the 70mpw average i seem to be hitting this year.

Next week is the Stretton Skyline.... along with gaining champs points (which hasn't exactly been a rip-roaring success), my other primary target for this year is sub 3hrs at Stretton Skyline. My previous best is just over 3:10, and was running well then, but that was in 2018 and i'd like to think i can find 10mins+ to shave off that performance.

No expectations for this weeks training other than to be fresh next sunday on the start line. The hard work is done and i just need to come up with the performance next sunday.
    Wow Travs, what a week!
    Do take it easy between now and next weekend - you will benefit from a bit of a rest, even if you feel in really good shape.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    From your training reports earlier in the week, I was wondering if you were preparing for an attempt at the Wainwrights.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    From your training reports earlier in the week, I was wondering if you were preparing for an attempt at the Wainwrights.
    Just making the most of my time off!

Anthony what was your best time at Stretton Skyline? I imagine you were possibly a 2:40 - 2:45 runner in your prime?