Page 1619 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 61911191519156916091617161816191620162116291669 ... LastLast
Results 16,181 to 16,190 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

I am finding running on the flat both boring and hard work. 10 miles on tarmac/trail yesterday evening in 1hr 19 min. I am forsaking some fell races for this madcap marathon malarkey.

I have got the Sheffield 20 miler next weekend which will hopefully tell me whether or not I'm ready for York in October or just pissing into the wind!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Just making the most of my time off!

Anthony what was your best time at Stretton Skyline? I imagine you were possibly a 2:40 - 2:45 runner in your prime?
    I've never done Stretton Skyline. It doesn't have enough opportunities to take route choices into and out of the valleys on the Long Mynd.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

This weeks RATRun was from the Waterloo in Biggin. Only two of us, due to work, injury and racing but with my running partner being Matt, who did his BG ten days previously, I had a blow by blow account of his adventure.

A glorious evening saw us cross fields to Heathcote and on to Hartington. Along the River Dove to the end of Beresford Dale and then a loop up to the TP on Wolfscote Hill. Back to the River Dove and down Wolfscote Dale to its junction with Biggin Dale. The last time we were here we were thigh deep in water on the path, but today not a drop.

Straight up Biggin Dale to Biggin and The Waterloo. No chips again this week but a refreshing couple of pints of Wincle Waller 3.8% from the Wincle Brewery.

A steady 8.3 miles, 1,096 feet in 1hr 18 min.

One occurrence of note was that whilst in Wolfscote Dale we disturbed a heron that was stood in the river and it flew around 150yds downstream and stood in the river again, where we disturbed once more. This happened around eight times and then two herons took off, flying in formation and again stopping every 150yds or so ahead of us. This continued another five or six times until we turned up Biggin Dale and left them stood ahead of us in the Dove.
    I felt really guilty as it must have taken so much energy for them to keep taking off and landing so often.

But why are they so thick? Just turn around and fly upstream you daft birds!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 02-09-2022 at 11:38 AM.

I experienced your Heron issue many times in the Lakes recently, but with Sheep, especially on footpaths with high bracken cover to both sides. They just run directly away from you down the footpath.

I have sacrificed all club sessions this week in order to be fresh for the Stretton Skyline on sunday, but this morning did throw in a progressive 7.5 mile run, starting around tempo pace, and building eventually to what felt like my 10 mile race pace.

Really hyped up for Sunday, i know what i need to do to achieve sub 3hrs, the training is done, just got to back myself on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    ... just got to back myself on the day.
    That and take some water!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Fan Fawr, Fan Llia and Fan Frynych from Beacons Reservoir. Just over 20k with 850m ascent. A good run out on the way home from Cardiff.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Well, I did my Sheffield 20 miler this morning based at Rother Valley Country Park with an earlyish 0830 start.

A couple of laps around the lakes and then down to Staveley and back on the old railway line now known as The Trans Pennine Trail before nearly a full lap of the lakes prior to the finish.

Very boring overall and as I have no experience of "pacing" I decided to latch on to other runners who seemed to be going at a pace I was comfortable with. As a runner came past me I then latched on to them which seemed to work until mile 14 where I found myself on my own. After a couple of miles two young ladies caught me up and I ran with them to the finish.

I got around the 20 miles, and all of 200 feet, in 2hr 34min which I was pleased with as it was the longest run on the flat I have ever done. I was 46th overall but only 4th M60. There were a lot of proper runners there!

I also "fuelled" properly with gels for the first time. I've had High 5 and SIS ones before as emergencies on the bike, and I hate them as the are so sticky and make me feel sick. I was recommended Maurten gels and took 4 during the run, timing my consumption just before a water station so I could swill down any residue. They were great. Not sticky or sickly. They have a soft jelly baby like consistency and can be swallowed straight away or left to melt in the mouth. I'll still be sticking to bananas, hard boiled eggs and potatoes on the hills though.

I was not knackered at the end but my legs were ready to stop and are a bit tender now. The only negative was that I felt soreness on my chest and it wasn't until after the finish when someone said " have you been shot" that I could see that the front of my vest was soaked in blood and sweat! Friction on my nipples had caused them to bleed and they are now very sore.

Any tips for the future? Vaseline? Corn plasters?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

I had this once. No problems since using Bodyglide.

Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Well, I did my Sheffield 20 miler this morning based at Rother Valley Country Park with an earlyish 0830 start.

A couple of laps around the lakes and then down to Staveley and back on the old railway line now known as The Trans Pennine Trail before nearly a full lap of the lakes prior to the finish.

Very boring overall and as I have no experience of "pacing" I decided to latch on to other runners who seemed to be going at a pace I was comfortable with. As a runner came past me I then latched on to them which seemed to work until mile 14 where I found myself on my own. After a couple of miles two young ladies caught me up and I ran with them to the finish.

I got around the 20 miles, and all of 200 feet, in 2hr 34min which I was pleased with as it was the longest run on the flat I have ever done. I was 46th overall but only 4th M60. There were a lot of proper runners there!

I also "fuelled" properly with gels for the first time. I've had High 5 and SIS ones before as emergencies on the bike, and I hate them as the are so sticky and make me feel sick. I was recommended Maurten gels and took 4 during the run, timing my consumption just before a water station so I could swill down any residue. They were great. Not sticky or sickly. They have a soft jelly baby like consistency and can be swallowed straight away or left to melt in the mouth. I'll still be sticking to bananas, hard boiled eggs and potatoes on the hills though.

I was not knackered at the end but my legs were ready to stop and are a bit tender now. The only negative was that I felt soreness on my chest and it wasn't until after the finish when someone said " have you been shot" that I could see that the front of my vest was soaked in blood and sweat! Friction on my nipples had caused them to bleed and they are now very sore.

Well done Llani. My pace chart tells me that if you can maintain same pace over the full 26 you'll be on for 3:23 at the marathon.

Whatever you do at the marathon i'm supremely confident that the long road training will lead to a benefit on the fells.