Page 1624 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 62411241524157416141622162316241625162616341674 ... LastLast
Results 16,231 to 16,240 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'll definitely be taking the much-debated alternative route over the top of Esk Pike.
    I ended up going under last time. The visibility was like pea soup and i decided there was a risk of missing the left turn. However, the right turn into Ore Gap on the under route is also a pain in the neck in the clag. It looke like pretty shite weather as far as the weatherman can reasonably see; big low anchored in the north atlantic.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Club night last night and a change of venue for a couple of 2 mile reps.

12:36 and 12:38, so very consistent, but if i'm honest was hoping to be quicker than that. That said it wasn't an easy nor entirely flat rep circuit

Although was suffering from tight/sore hamstrings, as a result of a bit too much intense work last week and a trip to the physio yesterday morning. Probably should have knocked the session on the head after one rep.

The plan had been to train through the week right up to Langdale and beyond, however i'm going to have to stick to easy running between now and Langdale in order to let the hamstrings ease off a little.

8.5 miles for the session on top of 4 easy miles AM.

I think I burnt too many matches on Sundays XC as yesterday evening I went for a run in the rain and wind and felt awful. No energy, high HR and I couldn't get my breathing going. It was all off road and lovely and soft under foot so I tried to push through the lethargy but without much success.

A total of 7 miles, 772 feet in a very slow 1hr 11min. Not where I want to be.
    Once home, a shower, a mackerel salad and bed.

Still feel shite this morning
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I think I burnt too many matches on Sundays XC as yesterday evening I went for a run in the rain and wind and felt awful. No energy, high HR and I couldn't get my breathing going. It was all off road and lovely and soft under foot so I tried to push through the lethargy but without much success.

A total of 7 miles, 772 feet in a very slow 1hr 11min. Not where I want to be.
    Once home, a shower, a mackerel salad and bed.

Still feel shite this morning
    If it's any reassurance, one of my best races this year came three days after a training run when I had felt totally lethargic.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Had a run round the Coniston fells today. A fantastic area and one of my favourite sections of fells.

Its pretty clear that i don't go in for the attitude that fellrunning is good for the soul, great to be in nature, etc.... to me its training and racing (whilst still appreciating the stunning surroundings).

However i did get an inkling today... heading down off Swirl How into Levers Hawse, with a great view in front, just as the weather was turning a little bit wild... i did think would i rather be anywhere else than this right now...

I must admit though, about 10 minutes later as i was fighting my way onto Coniston Old Man, in a hail-storm so violent that it stung me through three layers of clothing (never mind what it was doing to my bare legs), the thought of that beach in Sardinia was competing a little more strongly for my affections.

Master
    Had a run round the Coniston fells today. A fantastic area and one of my favourite sections of fells.

Its pretty clear that i don't go in for the attitude that fellrunning is good for the soul, great to be in nature, etc.... to me its training and racing (whilst still appreciating the stunning surroundings).

However i did get an inkling today... heading down off Swirl How into Levers Hawse, with a great view in front, just as the weather was turning a little bit wild... i did think would i rather be anywhere else than this right now...

I must admit though, about 10 minutes later as i was fighting my way onto Coniston Old Man, in a hail-storm so violent that it stung me through three layers of clothing (never mind what it was doing to my bare legs), the thought of that beach in Sardinia was competing a little more strongly for my affections.
    Type 2 fun - nothing like it.

I cover my legs when out all the time now - some styles of 2XU tights don't seem to retain any heat - it's nice to be protected to an extent from brambles/bracken/ticks/hail/abrasions - but most runners I see have bare legs year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Type 2 fun - nothing like it.

I cover my legs when out all the time now - some styles of 2XU tights don't seem to retain any heat - it's nice to be protected to an extent from brambles/bracken/ticks/hail/abrasions - but most runners I see have bare legs year round.
    The best for heat retention is new balance impact, but they've stopped selling the best pants now, you can only buy the newer plain black ones. The best 2XU I've found for insulation is the MCS tight.

I was trespassing on MikeT territory today with an early-morning run out from Ambleside.

Up the main path to the summit of Loughrigg Fell... although i suspect i missed a few racing-lines. Having made good time i decided to head off down the other side, taking the steep descent down to Loughrigg Terrace, where i then made my way back round to Ambleside via the well made paths and minor road.

6 miles and around 1300ft. Plenty of people out walking and running on the lower levels, although it was very quiet up on Loughrigg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The best for heat retention is new balance impact, but they've stopped selling the best pants now, you can only buy the newer plain black ones. The best 2XU I've found for insulation is the MCS tight.
    I have 7 pairs - 1 pair I just wear around the house as the seam is coming apart; of the other 6, 2 are MCS and the ones I like the most - warmer, and smoother feeling to put on and wear.

Master
    I was trespassing on MikeT territory today with an early-morning run out from Ambleside.

Up the main path to the summit of Loughrigg Fell... although i suspect i missed a few racing-lines. Having made good time i decided to head off down the other side, taking the steep descent down to Loughrigg Terrace, where i then made my way back round to Ambleside via the well made paths and minor road.

6 miles and around 1300ft. Plenty of people out walking and running on the lower levels, although it was very quiet up on Loughrigg.
    The main racing line is to turn sharp right after going through the top gate, then after a couple of very muddy boggy sections and a couple of ascending rock steps, go left when the path splits, and left when it splits again - across a couple of wet grassy sections and just follow the path in front of you. It soon joins the main tourist path. A lot of fun to be had.