Page 1625 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 62511251525157516151623162416251626162716351675 ... LastLast
Results 16,241 to 16,250 of 16919

Thread: Today's Training

68.5 miles for the week.

Physically its not been a good one. A few niggles and strains resulting in my absence from the start line for Langdale. Probably need a few more easy days... fortunately this next fortnight is extremely busy with work commitments and software training, so will get some forcible rest in comparison to a normal training week (still hopefully 50-60 miles though)

But physical woes aside its been a good week, next year has pretty much taken shape in terms of planned races, and can start planning towards a concerted effort to bring further improvements next year.

In short, a more targeted approach with less "low priority" races...

I've done 17 fell races so far this year... on top of at least half a dozen track races, plus at least half a dozen XC fixtures/Road Relays, i reckon i've done 30 races this year in approx 40 weeks.

Next year i have half a dozen priority races....
    Three other fell races which i'd like to perform well in.
    Plus another handful of fell races which will be solely preparation for the above.
    Probably drop the track completely.

Its still a fair haul once i add in XC fixtures, road relays etc, but it should total approx half the number of races compared to this year.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-10-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    First run since Scafell Pike race 29 days ago: see my recent post on the Today's Resting thread. For the last few days I have been increasingly feeling that I really miss my running -- which was the whole point of the exercise, to restore that hunger for running. Going for a walk this morning and seeing loads of runners out was the final straw.

I went out in the afternoon, expecting to struggle a bit after the lay-off, but instead found myself moving well, and did my circuit over Buck Hill and the Outwoods in a fast time. Admittedly, conditions were ideal, both in terms of weather and ground conditions: air temperature just right, light to moderate winds, no rain, and the ground has softened a bit with recent rain, but not so much as to sap one's energy.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

We were thin on the ground at last nights RATRun from The Anglers Rest in Millers Dale. Only three of us and all running the marathon in York on Sunday so we were supposed to take it easy.

A flat 6 miles on the Monsal Trail at 8mm pace. That was my colleagues warm up pace, and a bit quicker that I should have been going, so I left them to it when they put in a couple of 7.15 minute miles. They are both hoping for sub 3hrs.

Back at the Anglers cheesy chips were washed down with Farmers Blonde 4.0% from Bradfield Brewery.

My plan for Sunday is to follow the 3.30 pacer and follow him/her/they/it all the way to the finish.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Good luck Llani, let us know how you get on.

My enthusiasm for an autumn marathon next year has cooled somewhat.... will still train hard for something on the road, but i suspect it'll probably be a sustained attempt at beating my pb for Brampton - Carlisle 10 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    We were thin on the ground at last nights RATRun from The Anglers Rest in Millers Dale. Only three of us and all running the marathon in York on Sunday so we were supposed to take it easy.

A flat 6 miles on the Monsal Trail at 8mm pace. That was my colleagues warm up pace, and a bit quicker that I should have been going, so I left them to it when they put in a couple of 7.15 minute miles. They are both hoping for sub 3hrs.

Back at the Anglers cheesy chips were washed down with Farmers Blonde 4.0% from Bradfield Brewery.

My plan for Sunday is to follow the 3.30 pacer and follow him/her/they/it all the way to the finish.
    Good luck Llani! hope there will be retrospective enjoyment.

Master

Do make sure you are not in a tight position in the group so that you have to keep adjusting stride length and foot placement - you can waste a lot of energy over 26 miles if you need to do that. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Do make sure you are not in a tight position in the group so that you have to keep adjusting stride length and foot placement - you can waste a lot of energy over 26 miles if you need to do that. Good luck!
    I'd not even considered that Mike. Thanks for the tip.

I'd not even considered that Mike. Thanks for the tip.
    Yes.

Other people can wreck your marathon in the first mile: by blocking you so you don't have a free, clear running path or encouraging you to go off too quickly in all the excitement.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I was chatting to a mate who did the Great North Run a few weeks ago.

He spent well over an hour in the start pen prior to the gun... and he is a good runner, was relatively near the front... but unless you are "elite" you don't get the opportunity for a proper warm up.

Its kind of put me off ever doing a "big" road race.

No warm up, an hour in a start pen, blocking, a tight position, adjusting stride length, crikey, you're certainly selling me this marathon lark chaps.

I think I'll stop in bed!