Page 1629 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 62911291529157916191627162816291630163116391679 ... LastLast
Results 16,281 to 16,290 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Club night and a 25 minute continuous hill effort.
    I'm surprised that there is a hill in Coventry long enough to keep you going for 25 mins Travs!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm surprised that there is a hill in Coventry long enough to keep you going for 25 mins Travs!
    Yes it is an up and down lap of about 900 metres, and definitely stretching the definition of "hill" a little, with a max gradient of probably 5-6%.

Thursday sees a similar session but on a much tougher hill with a gradient up to a whopping 9-10%.... unfortunately i'll be taking that one a little easier due to saturday's upcoming race.

Lovely run out this morning. Down the Strid from Barden Bridge, up The Valley of Desolation and on to Lords Seat and then Simon's Seat. Down the steep way and back along the river. Lots of sun and great views with a couple of invigorating showers and only 1 other person. Hill training for Really Wild Boar.

Club night last night and a continuous effort around a 1.5km hilly path/road circuit.

With a quick XC race saturday, i elected for only two circuits, a straight 3km blast, which i knocked out in 11:12.... this does give me some confidence that i can have a real go at 11mins on saturday.... which will be much flatter, although surface always unpredictable on XC.

I managed to hang onto the back of some of the 15/16min 5km guys for a little while today.... mainly because they were doing 5 laps (7.5km), and also because of the hilly nature of the course... predictably when the circuit flattened out they visibly pulled away.... but it was nice to put myself "in the mixer" with some quicker runners for a bit.

8.5 miles on top of 4 miles easy AM, current total for the week 45.5 miles.

Last nights RATRun was from the Barrel Inn at Bretton. Seven of us set off on a very mild and starlit evening firstly along the road to Great Hucklow then steeply and slippery down into Bretton Brook and straight up the other side to Abney Grange. Across Abney Moor to Brough Lane where we turned right to Wolfs Pit. A lovely long downhill section under Smelting Hill then steeply down to Stoke Ford.

Uphill again on an ancient bridleway through the woods adjacent to Abney Clough. It was very runnable but slippery with leaves laid on top of wet stones and I took a tumble when my legs went from under me and I landed on my right hip. Ouch. When we reached the hamlet of Abney we turned left and after initially running over fields dropped steeply into Bretton Clough. This is where the fun began and our evenings leader who knows the area well got us lost! For those that don't know Bretton Clough it contains a number of small knolls and many steep narrow stream beds most of which are covered in bracken. After much falling over, laughing and scrambling up steep banks by pulling on tree roots we found our way out up to Nether Bretton and then along the road to The Barrel. With all the faffing about, miles 7 and 8 both took over 18 minutes .

Once back at The Barrel, now running late and after last orders for food, Mark redeemed himself for his navigation faux pas by chatting up the chef and getting him to rev up the fryers and provide us with fantastic mozzarella cheesy chips which were laced with salty bacon. These were washed down with Pedigree 4.5% from Marstons.

A very enjoyable evening of just over 8 miles, 1'344 feet in a very, very steady 1hr 24 min!

I'm not that fond of pedigree any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I'm not that fond of pedigree any longer.
    I'm not either as its not the same as it used to be. The only other option was Wainwright which I find a bit watery.

Marston's ceased to be an independent brewery in 2020 when it sold its soul to Carlsberg.

I'm not either as its not the same as it used to be. The only other option was Wainwright which I find a bit watery.

Marston's ceased to be an independent brewery in 2020 when it sold its soul to Carlsberg.
    Steer clear of Wainwright, it's not brewed by thwaites any more, some multinational corporation have hijacked it. One brewery whose soul is still intact is Robinson's, still brewing on the same site in Stockport, and still privately owned. They do a very nice economy IPA for the co-op.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Last nights RATRun was from the Barrel Inn at Bretton. Seven of us set off on a very mild and starlit evening firstly along the road to Great Hucklow then steeply and slippery down into Bretton Brook and straight up the other side to Abney Grange. Across Abney Moor to Brough Lane where we turned right to Wolfs Pit. A lovely long downhill section under Smelting Hill then steeply down to Stoke Ford.

Uphill again on an ancient bridleway through the woods adjacent to Abney Clough. It was very runnable but slippery with leaves laid on top of wet stones and I took a tumble when my legs went from under me and I landed on my right hip. Ouch. When we reached the hamlet of Abney we turned left and after initially running over fields dropped steeply into Bretton Clough. This is where the fun began and our evenings leader who knows the area well got us lost! For those that don't know Bretton Clough it contains a number of small knolls and many steep narrow stream beds most of which are covered in bracken. After much falling over, laughing and scrambling up steep banks by pulling on tree roots we found our way out up to Nether Bretton and then along the road to The Barrel. With all the faffing about, miles 7 and 8 both took over 18 minutes .

Once back at The Barrel, now running late and after last orders for food, Mark redeemed himself for his navigation faux pas by chatting up the chef and getting him to rev up the fryers and provide us with fantastic mozzarella cheesy chips which were laced with salty bacon. These were washed down with Pedigree 4.5% from Marstons.

A very enjoyable evening of just over 8 miles, 1'344 feet in a very, very steady 1hr 24 min!
    Attempting to combine parts of the Eyam and Bradwell Short fell race routes - and the much more interesting terrain in between? I remember an orienteering event in the area around Bretton Clough, with some interesting navigation around that area of little knolls.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Macritchie Reservoir Park. Last time I was in Singapore, 20 years ago, it took around 12 minutes to run from my brother-in-law's house to the Park entrance; today it was 14 minutes. Then another 5 minutes to the start of the Lornie Trail, where the running becomes more pleasant (gently undulating gravelled path through the forest).

Total time running was 47 minutes, up to where I made my nav error, looking for my brother-in-law's block of flats; I thought I had gone too far, but I hadn't gone far enough (classic fell runner's error!). The woman who had lost her parrot was no help, but then, I couldn't help her find the parrot.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges