Page 1631 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 63111311531158116211629163016311632163316411681 ... LastLast
Results 16,301 to 16,310 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    So you need a long switchback road then?
    We typically use a couple of routes... one is about 450mtrs long and we just go up the road and down the path, constantly for the duration. In a 25 minute session would probably manage 8-9 "laps" depending on speed.

Also have a 1.5km circuit which is about 600mtrs up, 600mts down, 300mtrs flat to link back to start.

I'm not sure the specifics of the course matter so much, its just that it is a constant effort rather than uphill or downhill specific reps....
    Last edited by Travs; 04-11-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    More info needed here and especially as I approach the tarmac/headtorch training season!
    I usually aim to do long hill reps (800m) on a variable but >10% incline or a ladder session on the same road with 200/400/600/800 and efforts with downhill always just recovery.
    Its just the hill version of a continuous hard effort rather than an interval/rep session.

I've never done them on anything over about 10% gradient, and never on the fells.... seem to be popular as a a workout for road/XC though.

We did a different kind of session last night... a strength/mobility circuit on the side of the track, involving various manoeuvres around/over/under hurdles, jumps and cones, with pressups, squat-thrusts etc thrown in.

So no actual running reps, although i still totalled 7 miles for the session with warmup and warm down. On top of 5 easy miles AM.

Rest this morning as went into office.

Tomorrow running a 5km leg at the National XC Relays in Mansfield. Running in an incomplete "b team" so no pressure, will just go out and have a good training run, hopefully a little quicker than last year (20:18)
    Last edited by Travs; 04-11-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Its just the hill version of a continuous hard effort rather than an interval/rep session.

I've never done them on anything over about 10% gradient, and never on the fells.... seem to be popular as a a workout for road/XC though.
    Thanks that may come in useful in the depths of winter as an alternative session as I could probably do something similar around my local neighborhood.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

13.5 miles today. 10.5 AM, 3 PM.

67 miles for the week. A satisfactory week and another fairly pleasing run yesterday at the XC... nothing spectacular time-wise, but felt controlled and confident.

Next week will struggle to keep the miles up, due to a combination of manic workload, works on the house, and physio visit.... but with the first league XC fixture coming up next weekend it might be a good thing... really looking forward to seeing how i fare in comparison to last year.

Following a lazy Saturday afternoon watching sport on TV, the rain stopped at teatime so at 8pm I went out for a run.
    A clear moonlit evening saw me set off up over the fields to Sheldon then onto Monyash, into and out of Lathkill Dale a couple of times and then down to Conksbury before back up through fields home.

Most of the run was on lovely soft fields, but slippery when on wet limestone in the dale and also when negotiating the 80 odd stiles and gates on the route. Unfortunately I disturbed many roosting birds which always makes me feel guilty on a headtorch run

Just over 13 miles, 1,322 feet in 2hrs 2mins. The best Saturday night out I've had for ages!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 07-11-2022 at 12:32 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A thought that would never occur to me (or any of you) back home in Britain:
    "It's raining. Great! I can go for a run."
    The shower was too soon after lunch, and had stopped by the time I got my running kit on; but it had noticeably cooled the air, so that conditions here in Singapore were unpleasant rather than unbearable. I went a bit further along the Lornie trail than on my previous run: total time of the run was 59 minutes, but I felt rather drained of energy for the last 10 minutes.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

When i was training in Thailand, the Thai fighters would head indoors in a panic immediately it started raining.

I was looked at as some kind of loony for staying out and finishing the run. Really it made no difference, was still 30deg and was already soaked with sweat anyway.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    When i was training in Thailand, the Thai fighters would head indoors in a panic immediately it started raining.

I was looked at as some kind of loony for staying out and finishing the run. Really it made no difference, was still 30deg and was already soaked with sweat anyway.
    Unlike the Thai fighters, I rather enjoy having a "power shower" while running in tropical heat. But so far in this visit to Singapore, I haven't managed to time any of my runs to coincide with a tropical downpour. However, after heavy rain overnight, the temperature this morning was a mere 26C, so I went out for a run. I felt quite good, although I am finding the last section of my runs here rather dispiriting: the return from Macritchie Reservoir Park is mainly alongside a dual carriageway road; there is grass verge in some parts, but concrete in others. Flat, some more. [Sorry, I have lapsed into Singlish there. Singlish (Singapore English) is essentially English words with Chinese grammar. "Some more" is a common expression to mean "also", "in addition", etc. Any Singlish speaker would find the idea that a sentence must have a verb to be preposterous.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

This week has been a poor one training-wise.... works on the house meaning been without a bathroom for a couple of days, manic workload, and a trip to the physio, meant i'd only done 9.5 miles by wednesday night, and missed the first club session.

Managed a return to normality yesterday with 6 miles AM, then club night last night was a 5km effort, but for every km loop there was 900mtrs of effort, and 100mtrs slow jog recovery.

I didn't knock my pipe out on this session, but went through 5km in 21:05... considering the rest periods must have cost close to a minute, and the hilly (and windy) nature of the circuit, it seems a decent run out.

That was 9 miles for the session and 15 for the day.... back to a single session today due to more house works, not to mention staying fresh for tomorrow's XC.

Expect i'll hit 55-60 miles by the end of the week, but it won't have been a textbook week's training by any means.