Page 1632 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 63211321532158216221630163116321633163416421682 ... LastLast
Results 16,311 to 16,320 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Last evenings RATRun was from The Sycamore Inn at Parwich. A very mild November evening saw six of us set off through fields that were perfect for running on as the wind over the last couple of days had dried them out nicely, apart from the gateways where cattle had gathered. Gradually uphill through Eaton Dale until we reached, and crossed, the A515 at Alsop Moor. Up onto the Tissington Trail and along it for a mile to Bigginmoor Farm where we crossed the A515 again and on up to Uppermoor Farm.

From here it was downhill through fields back to Parwich. Once in the very busy Sycamore, excellent cheesy chips were washed down with Cascade 4.8% from Robinsons Brewery.

Just under 8 miles, 875 feet in 1hr 10mins
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Ran, with plenty of stops, the Leg It Round Lathkill route today with the RO in preparation for tomorrows race.
    It is perfect underfoot and none of the footpath in the dale is flooded so I reckon if a couple of decent runners turn up the record could go.
    Only one minor snag in that one of the fields has sheep in and the farmer has put an electric fence around it to keep them in as the boundary walls are tumbledown in places. He has put some plastic pipe over the wire on the entrance to the field, as he should do, but has not on the exit. I have wrapped some polystyrene packaging around it and secured it with gaffer tape.

Hopefully we will have no complaints of tingling genitalia from any of the runners. Weather forecast is good so hopefully a big turnout.

Just under 8 miles, 890 feet in !hr 14min.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Tried the trail on the other side of Macritchie Reservoir from the Lornie Trail today: pleased to find that it was rather more hilly (no climbs of more than about 20m, but fairly continuous undulations). 33 minutes to my turn-back point, about 36 minutes coming back; yes, I did fade rather badly, despite having taken water, which I drank at the turn-back point.

Being Sunday morning, the trail was packed with walkers and runners. There seemed to be an unwritten rule that you walk or run as you drive: on the left, overtaking on the right. I didn't always manage to keep to this rule, in particular when overtaking walkers at the same time as someone was coming the opposite direction.

A power shower started about two hours after I got back, with plenty of loud thunder. I am aware that the afternoon is when the showers usually start, but I did really feel that I wanted a run this morning.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

After yesterday's efforts at the XC i was under strict instructions to have an easy long run.

Ran with female company today for half of the run, which helped keep me at a sensible pace. Ended up with 17.5 miles.

60 miles for the week, considering the difficulties encountered in the first half of the week that is a very pleasing total, as i was really wondering if i was going to top 50 miles at one point.

Next week is Callow on sunday. I really need fresh legs for this one. Have done very little in the way of fell training for the past 6 or 7 weeks but feel fit... really would like to have a pop at a decent placing at Callow... whether or not i'm in pb shape remains to be seen.

Following this mornings Pilates class I was sat around all day at home, as it was tipping it down with rain, and I could feel myself seizing up.

It cleared up around 4pm so I took the dogs for a 320 chain walk in Lathkill Dale. I was still feeling a bit stiff so at 5.30 I went for an out and back tarmac run to Haddon Grove.

240 chains, 3 chains of ascent in 24.50.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 15-11-2022 at 11:58 PM.

More chaotic workload meant i had to miss the club training session last night.

So attempted it this morning instead. 2 x 2 mile reps with 3-4mins rest. Again pushed for time i did it on the treadmill, with 2 x 12 minute reps... even that was interrupted with phonecall, so my rest between became 11 minutes instead of 3-4....!

6.5 miles.

Had hoped to possibly get a decent steep hill session in this week before Callow, but it won't happen now, so will just go in fresh-legged and hope my fell stamina from the summer hasn't totally deserted me!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Had hoped to possibly get a decent steep hill session in this week before Callow, but it won't happen now, so will just go in fresh-legged and hope my fell stamina from the summer hasn't totally deserted me!
    That's the best plan you'd never have implemented yourself.

It's a rest week for me, i've got a pond full of frogs in my throat and i've only recently started eating properly again.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm back from the Big Swamp now (the town in Singapore where I was staying is called Toa Payoh, which means "Big Swamp"), and I attempted a run today. The weather seemed to want to turn Loughborough into a big swamp, but the real problem was the effect of 8 hours of jet lag and two successive nights of insufficient sleep. So where the footpath to the Outwoods started climbing, my legs were telling me that they had never run uphill before. I ended up walking up Molly Webb's Hill in the woods, and instead of doing my route over Buck Hill and the Outwoods, I just ran through the woods and back down the bridleway. As usual in this sort of weather, the bridleway was in excellent condition - for canoeing.

A runner who overtook me on the path up to the Outwoods noticed my Walshes and commented that this was a good day for wearing studs. But I was actually surprised how firm the ground was, under the water. I had been under the impression that there had been quite a lot of rain here during my absence, and was expecting a mudbath. Anyway, while the British rain can't match Singapore's rain for intensity, it certainly makes up for it in duration.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I Anyway, while the British rain can't match Singapore's rain for intensity, it certainly makes up for it in duration.
    I've just returned from one of my regular 7 milers on the fells behind my house. We had a deluge last night which woke me up with the pounding of rain on the velux windows in the roof, and the rain has persisted all day if with a little less ferocity. So, no surprises to find the trods up to my local trig had transformed into mini-becks and the usual ankle-deep beck I have to cross was flowing today just below my knees. Its been quite a while since Ive seen this part of the North Pennines so waterlogged, and even some of the old mine workings were gushing 'enthusiastically'.
    Am Yisrael Chai

managed to get across to club night last night, on a pretty miserable evening.

8 miles and a circuit session, comprising of 150 burpees, 150 situps, too many awkward moves over/under/around hurdles to mention, and a load of plyometric stuff.

Although i was fired up to knock some decent reps out, it will probably be of benefit to have had a less running-heavy session prior to Callow on sunday.