Page 1633 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 63311331533158316231631163216331634163516431683 ... LastLast
Results 16,321 to 16,330 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Last nights RATRun was a damp and misty affair from Lubens, situate just off the Market Place in Buxton. Down the hill and past the magnificently restored Crescent Hotel. Up past the Dome and finally off road into the muddy and beech leaf strewn Corbar Woods. Up to the Cross and TP before back into the woods and down to Cavendish golf course.

Across the course to Watford Woods and then steeply up The Beet to the bogs, heather and moorland tussocks that lead to the TP at Burbage. Down to the Old Macc Road and then across to Buxton Country Park via a series of muddy and waterlogged footpaths. Up towards Solomon's Temple but before reaching it we turned left and a lovely descent through more beech woods to Poole's Cavern. Finally half a mile of tarmac back to Lubens.

Lubens is not a pub but more of a bistro and a bit snazzier than what we are normally accustomed to. However it does serve real ale, has an open fire and serves cheesy chips which had already been ordered by our injured advance party, Emily. We got some funny looks from the other more smartly dressed patrons as the 7 of us traipsed in with legs black from peat bog!

The cheesy chips were delicious, but pricey, as was the very good Wincle Waller 3.8% from the Wincle Brewery.

A very enjoyable leg sapping run of 8.25 miles, 1,764 feet in 1hr 28 mins.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 18-11-2022 at 12:17 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

66 miles for the week. Not bad considering the disruption at the start of the week, and a short race today.

No race next weekend, so can look forward to getting some hard work in prior to the next league XC in a fortnight.

Suffering from DOMS from Callow and against my better judgement, i headed out to club training last night.

3 x 2km reps with 3mins rest periods.

I only did two and was off my usual pace.

7:52 for 1st rep.
    7:44 for the 2nd and final rep.

Still, 9 miles (on top of 5 very easy AM miles), and a reasonable evening's work.

Godiva Harriers last night.

5 x 1 km with 2mins rest.

3:33
    3:27
    3:23 (pushing hard)
    3:28 (starting to struggle now!)
    3:29

9.5 miles for the session.

Encouraging... the benefit of being in this group really showed through last night... at those paces i'd have been way out the front of my old group... but last night was in a tight group of 4, and the sub-3min/km guys coming past us towards the end (after giving us a 20 second head start), to push us on.

Not the easiest of loops, and a windy night, so was pleased with those times, especially off the back of Callow last weekend and a couple of days feeling under the weather.

Only four of us yesterday evening for the RATRun from The Cock and Pullet at Sheldon. The rain had cleared leaving a starry sky and cool breeze. Down from Sheldon across fields and then further down on the very steep, leafy, muddy slope which everyone struggles up on the fell race. A left at the bottom into Deep Dale and up to Over Wheal Farm. A loop around Nether Wheal and then up to Once a Week Quarry. More fields to Magpie Mine and then back to Sheldon.

A steady 7 miles, 806 feet in 1hr 8 mins on mainly soft ground. Back in the pub cheesy chips were washed down with Timothy Taylor Landlord 4.3%.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 26-11-2022 at 08:34 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

77.5 miles for the week. Pushes the weekly average up to 68.97 for the year.... will need some good fortune to push that up to 70mpw by the end of the year.

Was messing about on a pace calculator earlier, and it appears that out of my standard flat times... my 1500mtrs track time is actually the most impressive by quite a distance... my 3km and 5km are of similar ranking, then 10 mile followed by 10km.

I was already aware that my 10km time is poor. But was surprised how far out in front my 1500mtr time appears to be.... my 5km pb is lagging behind that standard by well over 30 secs, and my 10 mile time appears to have potential to come down by up to 4 minutes (i doubt that will ever be achieved).

Points to either i'm better at the short stuff than i give myself credit for... or my training for longer-distance stuff has been lacking something.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Only four of us yesterday evening for the RATRun from The Cock and Pullet at Sheldon. The rain had cleared leaving a starry sky and cool breeze. Down from Sheldon across fields and then further down on the very steep, leafy, muddy slope which everyone struggles up on the fell race. A left at the bottom into Deep Dale and up to Over Wheal Farm. A loop around Nether Wheal and then up to Once a Week Quarry. More fields to Magpie Mine and then back to Sheldon.

A steady 7 miles, 806 feet in 1hr 8 mins on mainly soft ground. Back in the pub cheesy chips were washed down with Timothy Taylor Landlord 4.3%.
    4.2% for landlord
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I think cask and bottle of landlord can vary but cask is normally 4.3% whereas the bottles are usually lower at 4.1.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Long reps on the university playing fields; the first time I have done this for a few years. I seem to remember that I was doing them in around 4m20s on the last occasion; but this time the four reps were timed as 4:36, 4:47, 4:49, 4:56. Maybe I was right in thinking that my fitness wasn't quite up to the demands of the Baslow Bolt.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Any idea what distance they were Anthony....?

1000 - 1100 metres....?