Page 1634 of 1694 FirstFirst ... 63411341534158416241632163316341635163616441684 ... LastLast
Results 16,331 to 16,340 of 16931

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Any idea what distance they were Anthony....?

1000 - 1100 metres....?
    A bit of measuring on an OS map (a highly precise method ) suggests that it is indeed between 1000 and 1100 metres. There's a bit of downhill shortly after the start (contours on the OS map suggest 8 - 10 metres), which helps to get the legs going; and then there's the same amount of uphill shortly before the end.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Club night last night and 10 hardy souls braved the delights of a cold, dark damp Coventry industrial estate rather than the dubious joys of the England match.

20 x 300mtrs off 20 second rests.

This one goes down in memory as one of the hardest sessions i've ever done.

10 of the reps were on a slight uphill and i was managing 55-57secs, and the other 10 were (funnily enough) a slight downhill and they were around 54-55 seconds.

Despite the horrors of the session, managed to hold it together well and it was only the final 3 reps where i dropped a second. Only 5 of the 10 starters were able to complete the full session.

11 miles on top of 6 easy miles AM, a very solid day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Club night last night and 10 hardy souls braved the delights of a cold, dark damp Coventry industrial estate rather than the dubious joys of the England match.

20 x 300mtrs off 20 second rests.

This one goes down in memory as one of the hardest sessions i've ever done.

10 of the reps were on a slight uphill and i was managing 55-57secs, and the other 10 were (funnily enough) a slight downhill and they were around 54-55 seconds.

Despite the horrors of the session, managed to hold it together well and it was only the final 3 reps where i dropped a second. Only 5 of the 10 starters were able to complete the full session.

11 miles on top of 6 easy miles AM, a very solid day.
    That is a tough session.

The first club run I ever did down in Suffolk was 20 x 200 metres with 200 metres walk recovery, with perhaps 5 minutes rest halfway through. I can still remember the relief on getting into bed that night; it was a week before I could run again.

But 300 metres .....

When i first started doing proper track sessions i would be in bits for about 3 days, my hamstrings couldn't take the intensity of running at that pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    That is a tough session.

The first club run I ever did down in Suffolk was 20 x 200 metres with 200 metres walk recovery, with perhaps 5 minutes rest halfway through. I can still remember the relief on getting into bed that night; it was a week before I could run again.

But 300 metres .....
    Indeed. I always thought the 20x200m session was the toughest session on the track. It seems so innocuous as 200m sounds short but it soon cranks up into pain with the short rest.

Master
    This paper suggests that heavy resistance training - at least 90% of 1 RM - is better than less than 90% of 1 RM, which in turn is better than plyometrics in improving running economy and running time trial performance.

https://sportsmedicine-open.springer...98-022-00511-1

This paper suggests that heavy resistance training - at least 90% of 1 RM - is better than less than 90% of 1 RM, which in turn is better than plyometrics in improving running economy and running time trial performance.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It's a bit long, and technical in parts, but the conclusions
    are worth reading.

Regular readers will know I have been going on about heavy resistance training (I still do it) for years, and here is an article based on searching articles in the electronic databases of PubMed, Web of Science, and SPORTDiscus. If you want to run faster, this is worth reading.

So how does that work then, how does increasing the performance of fast twitch fibres contribute to time trial performance? Do you basically add more bulk which can then be reassigned a different duty? Adding fast twitch fibres which then are turned into slow twitch fibres on a needs must basis?

Last nights RATRun was a peasouper from start to finish. Ten of us set off from The Church Inn at Chelmorton and after some initial tarmac down the village we climbed over fields to Sterndale Moor. Over the 515 and around the back of the quarries before dropping into Earl Sterndale via a revised route as I missed a small wicket gate in the fog!
    Down to Aldery Cliff Quarry then straight up the west side of High Wheeldon, 450 feet of climb in 900 feet of distance, on damp moss and grass which was surprisingly grippy considering it was so wet. Down the other side then across to the High Peak trail, up to The Duke of York where we crossed back over the 515 and then along Highstool Lane before dropping back into Chelmorton.

9.5 miles and 1,207 feet in 1hr 31 min.

Once back in The Church, cheesy and un-cheesy chips were washed down with Force 10, 5.2%, from The Storm Brewing Co in Macclesfield. My pals have now decided not to do the Manchester Marathon and have signed up for the Three Peaks with Llangollen as a "warm" up. Result!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 02-12-2022 at 01:31 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill, Broombriggs and Windmill Hill: up into the clag. There are two summits on Beacon Hill, one with a trig pillar and the other with an orientation table. They are less than 100 metres apart, but I couldn't see one from the other.

I resisted the temptation to go for an unseen trespass to the top of Broombriggs Hill. I did once explore away from the designated paths, but the field containing the summit is protected by a drystone wall with an electric fence just behind it.

74 minutes for the whole run.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges