Page 1635 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 63511351535158516251633163416351636163716451685 ... LastLast
Results 16,341 to 16,350 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    So how does that work then, how does increasing the performance of fast twitch fibres contribute to time trial performance? Do you basically add more bulk which can then be reassigned a different duty? Adding fast twitch fibres which then are turned into slow twitch fibres on a needs must basis?
    This is the 'working' part of the Sportsmedicine article that Mike T brought to our attention; it's the neuromuscular function that's important. At least that's my take on it, so if anyone knows any better ...

Heavy resistance and plyometric training, which are effective to enhance neuromuscular function, have recently drawn researchers’ attention as a potential training modality that improves running economy and running time trial performance [7, 8]. The reason behind this interest is that the energy cost of skeletal muscle represents majority of the total energy cost of running [9, 10]. Heavy resistance training can increase muscular strength and/or power by changing motor unit recruitment patterns and firing frequency during voluntary muscle contractions [11, 12]. An increase in muscle strength could lower the relative intensity of the load for exercising muscles during running [9]. Consequently, it may contribute to improvements in running economy and running time trial performance [9, 13].
    Last edited by Marco; 02-12-2022 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Attachment problems

13 slow, steady (and a little sore) miles today, bringing the weekly final score to 72 miles.

Brings the weekly average for the year up above 69 to 69.03....

Won't make the target 70 miles for the year as i'd need to average north of 80 miles per week for the rest of the year. I could have a big attempt at getting some big miles in between xmas and new year, but two short races in two days will put a dent in that.

Next week is the county cross-country champs, don't know anything about the course as its a new venue, so will just go out and give it a good go. Think we've got some 2 mile reps on tuesday night.

Cold night last night for training. 2 x 2 mile reps. Not an easy rep by any stretch, dark, hilly, leaves all over the floor.

12:35 and 12:36

10 seconds slower than last time i did the same session, although still feeling saturday's efforts a little, and due to a smaller group last night, my reps were very lonely, being a good way behind the leaders and well in front of some others.

10.5 miles.

Master
    Another interesting paper: eccentric - lowering - is almost as good as as lifting then lowering.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...&impID=4960128

After a late night on wednesday at the club xmas party, i wasn't exactly relishing training last night, particularly with the cold and icy underfoot conditions.

3 x 1km with 4 minutes rest... a shorter session given that most of us are racing on saturday.

3:29
    3:22
    3:19

Very pleasing. Below 3:25 is when i know i'm moving well, and 3:20 and below is uncharted territory and i'm pretty sure i've only ever really hit that kind of speed over a km in track races.

Need to progress and start seeing those times when on a longer session such as 5 x km with 2mins recovery.

Finished off with a handful of 50mtr sprints.

9 miles for the session on top of 5 easy miles AM.

Miles this week will be a bit depleted... a couple of single-session days due to physio and office visits, and wednesday was a complete rest day.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-12-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Yesterday evenings RATRun was from The Queens Arms in Taddington. Eight of us, well layered up, set off over the A6 and across frosty fields under the Cold Moon, the last full moon of the year.
    Steeply into High Dale and then up through more fields and stiles to Priestcliffe.
    Down towards Millers Dale but before reaching it back up Long Lane to Priescliffe Ditch. More frosty fields and back over the A6, then up Senners Lane, onto Pilwell Lane to where it flattens out. A left turn then took us across more fields to the TP at Sough Top before dropping down back into Taddington via Humphrey Gate.

Only 6.5 miles and 970 feet on a glorious evening in 1hr 2min. Back at the Queens, in front of a roaring fire, the usual cheesy chips were washed down with Hartington 4.0% from the Whim Brewery and Moonshine 4.3% from Abbeydale.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    After a late night on wednesday at the club xmas party, i wasn't exactly relishing training last night, particularly with the cold and icy underfoot conditions.

3 x 1km with 4 minutes rest... a shorter session given that most of us are racing on saturday.

3:29
    3:22
    3:19

Very pleasing. Below 3:25 is when i know i'm moving well, and 3:20 and below is uncharted territory and i'm pretty sure i've only ever really hit that kind of speed over a km in track races.

Need to progress and start seeing those times when on a longer session such as 5 x km with 2mins recovery.

Finished off with a handful of 50mtr sprints.

9 miles for the session on top of 5 easy miles AM.

Miles this week will be a bit depleted... a couple of single-session days due to physio and office visits, and wednesday was a complete rest day.
    What are you having physio for?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Yesterday evenings RATRun was from The Queens Arms in Taddington. Eight of us, well layered up, set off over the A6 and across frosty fields under the Cold Moon, the last full moon of the year.
    Steeply into High Dale and then up through more fields and stiles to Priestcliffe.
    Down towards Millers Dale but before reaching it back up Long Lane to Priescliffe Ditch. More frosty fields and back over the A6, then up Senners Lane, onto Pilwell Lane to where it flattens out. A left turn then took us across more fields to the TP at Sough Top before dropping down back into Taddington via Humphrey Gate.

Only 6.5 miles and 970 feet on a glorious evening in 1hr 2min. Back at the Queens, in front of a roaring fire, the usual cheesy chips were washed down with Hartington 4.0% from the Whim Brewery and Moonshine 4.3% from Abbeydale.
    Do you know what cheese they are putting on your chips? Shit foodservice company cheese is 60% cheese, 40% cheese substitute, whatever cheese substitute is.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    What are you having physio for?
    I have tendonitis in my shins. Basically my calves are pulling tight and inflaming the tendons, which is pulling against my shinbones.

Regular physio/massage, ice and good stretching is keeping it at bay. Although it can be painful the morning after a race or intense training session (such as last night!)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I have tendonitis in my shins. Basically my calves are pulling tight and inflaming the tendons, which is pulling against my shinbones.

Regular physio/massage, ice and good stretching is keeping it at bay. Although it can be painful the morning after a race or intense training session (such as last night!)
    So you heel strike then?