Page 1641 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 64111411541159116311639164016411642164316511691 ... LastLast
Results 16,401 to 16,410 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Ive managed to get out for a run everyday so far this week bar yesterday, trying to make the most of this cold crisp spell before the inevitable return of the murk.

Today, 11.47 miles, 2 hrs 39min, 2961 feet ascent. There's still a decent covering of snow on the higher ground plus many of the higher ascents and descents and it lays in shallow drifts on most of these pathless, dead bracken and tussock grass covered slopes, just enough for it to become tiresome after a while. The ground seems to have become increasingly harder and icier over the course of the week.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Day trip out of Teesdale this afternoon for a change of running scenery from peaty North Pennines to limestone Crosby Garrett fells. 9.04 miles; 1286 feet ascent; 1 hr 40 mins.

Crosby Garrett viaduct, to Windy Bank (over the gate to avoid the electric fence - it's cattle-ready and I can vouch from the past it throws a nasty punch); down to the stream in the Potts Valley, ladder style, ford stream;Little Asby earthworks; Little Asby Scar,; Mazon wath; Fell Head; up the lane and then left onto Great Ewe Fell; Nettle Hill trig; return to Windy Bank; Ladle Lane back to Crosby. Just me, a few sheep, one dog walker, and a ruddy great fox nr Little Asby. Low cloud, light breeze and about 5 degrees temp.

Slap-up fish supper (with peas) and a large mug of tea at the Westmorland J38 truckers (and runners)stop. Heaven.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Day trip out of Teesdale this afternoon for a change of running scenery from peaty North Pennines to limestone Crosby Garrett fells. 9.04 miles; 1286 feet ascent; 1 hr 40 mins.

Crosby Garrett viaduct, to Windy Bank (over the gate to avoid the electric fence - it's cattle-ready and I can vouch from the past it throws a nasty punch); down to the stream in the Potts Valley, ladder style, ford stream;Little Asby earthworks; Little Asby Scar,; Mazon wath; Fell Head; up the lane and then left onto Great Ewe Fell; Nettle Hill trig; return to Windy Bank; Ladle Lane back to Crosby. Just me, a few sheep, one dog walker, and a ruddy great fox nr Little Asby. Low cloud, light breeze and about 5 degrees temp.

Slap-up fish supper (with peas) and a large mug of tea at the Westmorland J38 truckers (and runners)stop. Heaven.
    I still remember my first encounter with that part of the country; I'm not sure why I was there, or where I was cycling to or from, but the landscape left me with a feeling of otherworldliness. There were the limestone pavements, and the feeling in Little Asby village that the 20th Century hadn't yet found its way here; but it was also the landscape as a whole. The lack of any impressive mountains or crags was part of it; there was just this undulating moorland and pasture, with just enough walls and buildings to show that humans did exist, but no actual humans to be seen.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I still remember my first encounter with that part of the country; I'm not sure why I was there, or where I was cycling to or from, but the landscape left me with a feeling of otherworldliness. There were the limestone pavements, and the feeling in Little Asby village that the 20th Century hadn't yet found its way here; but it was also the landscape as a whole. The lack of any impressive mountains or crags was part of it; there was just this undulating moorland and pasture, with just enough walls and buildings to show that humans did exist, but no actual humans to be seen.
    Exactly my feelings too. If you ever get the chance to revisit, I'd recommend going to the rarely visited Castle Folds settlement on the ridge above Orton. It's one of many spots of antiquity, such as settlements and burial mounds, from Bronze Age, Romano-Britian and Medieval.

The Smardale viaduct area and adjacent, deeply sunk narrow lanes and fords, are a delight in spring. Views from the ridge abound - Pennines (High Cup to Crossfell), Howgills, Wildboar, Pennines, Mallestang, and of course the Lakes.

And, if you're a horse rider, the wide open spaces and a labyrinth of long, winding green trods present an irresistible, multiple gallop opportunity. Some of the very best in the country. Yeeeha!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Late yesterday morning, to make some room for my Sunday Dinner, I went for a run from home. Nearly 2 miles of tarmac to Haddon Grove and then 5 miles on firm fields and plenty of slippery limestone stiles which were still frosty on their north sides. Up Ricklow Dale and across the road to the new concession path to Horse Lane and on to Once A Week Quarry. More fields to Magpie Mine, down into and out of Kirk Dale and back over the hill home.

Just over 7 miles in total, 650 feet in 1hr and 59 seconds. Only a couple of degrees above freezing under a watery sun but with no breeze.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

After suffering the last few days with a combination of cold/family bereavement/rising workload.... haven't been able to be too consistent with training this week.

However did a treadmill speed session this morning. 7 x 2mins hard/3mins steady.

5.5 miles in total. With the Midlands XC champs on saturday i doubt there'll be much room for any more quality training this week.

Currently sitting on about 27 miles for the week... expect i'll still top 60+ miles by sunday evening.

Another trip out of Teesdale - what!

This time to Weasdale, just past Newbiggin-on-Lune. 9.16 miles, 1 hr 59 mins, 2476 feet of ascent. No one insight, just a few Rough Fell sheep as completely disinterested audience.

Weasdale, to Green Bell, along to Randygill Top, Leathgill bridge (saddle), along the ridge to just beyond Hooksey, then double back to Weasdale, adding a slight detour to and around Adamthwaite Bank and then back to Green Bell, for the enjoyable, Pennine view filled, easy run down to the car at Weasdale.

I'd had a bit of an issue with the car beforehand, and so spent a lot of the run mentally chuntering on to myself about the issue. Usually, the return run up from Leathgill back up to Randygill is, for me, all a bit curse, sweat and tears, but this time I was so preoccupied I didn't really notice the climb until being suddenly surprised to arrive at the small cairn on the top! Just goes to show that all that Zen mindful 'live-in-the-present-moment' stuff is soooo over-rated
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I'd had a bit of an issue with the car beforehand, and so spent a lot of the run mentally chuntering on to myself about the issue. Usually, the return run up from Leathgill back up to Randygill is, for me, all a bit curse, sweat and tears, but this time I was so preoccupied I didn't really notice the climb until being suddenly surprised to arrive at the small cairn on the top! Just goes to show that all that Zen mindful 'live-in-the-present-moment' stuff is soooo over-rated
    This so true. I have had many runs focused on the here and now and what I had planned I terms of pace etc that just fell apart and then there are those where you are so preoccupied by something that your body is on autopilot and probably performs better than your mind thinks it should.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

After yesterday morning's treadmill session, i joined the club training in the evening as well...

It was a strength/mobility/conditioning session with lots of jumping, hurdles, planks, burpees, etc. Didn't go too mad as still suffering a little, but some good fresh air and 8 easy miles.

Still suffering with my throat today, although i doubt it'll prevent me racing tomorrow, but maybe perhaps won't be my most headline-grabbing performance.

Last nights RATRun was from The Jug and Glass near Newhaven. On pulling onto the car park the place was in darkness and obviously closed. We decided to run from there as planned so the 4 of us set off through Hartington Meadows Nature Reserve, over the Tissington Trail and on over fields to Heathcote. A series of bridleways and then the climb up to the TP at Wolfscote Hill. The views from here are magnificent in daylight but even on a dark, starry night one could see the lights as far away as Sheffield, Derby, Ashbourne and Stoke on Trent as well as the many smaller villages and hamlets in between.

Down from Wolfscote Hill and along Reynards Lane then fields up to Highfield Lane and back to Heathcote. A short section of the TT and back through the HM Nature Reserve to the Jug and Glass.

After a quick change in the car park it was off to The Bulls Head in Monyash where chips were washed down with very good Blonde Bear, 4.2% from The Little Critters Brewery of Sheffield. Chatting to the Sharon, the landlady, she told me that the Jug and Glass was shut for one night only as the owners had gone to see someone called Lewis Capaldi, whoever he/she/they/them/it is!

A lovely run of 7.65 miles, 1'023 feet in 1hr 10 mins.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog