Page 1654 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 6541154155416041644165216531654165516561664 ... LastLast
Results 16,531 to 16,540 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

An early afternoon recce of the High Pike - Sweden Bridge section of the Fairfield Horse shoe, in lovely sunny weather.

7 miles, approx 2150ft

This evening a lovely quiet jog out from Ullswater up the quiet Glencoyne valley, round the back of Sheffield Pike, down the Greenside zigzags and back to Glenridding.

4.5 miles and 1500ft.

Spotted a couple of lovely new houses next to Glenridding Youth Hostel... alas out of my price range.

Didn't gun anything today... Just wanted to ensure my calf could manage up and down on rough ground... Gives me enough confidence to start tomorrow.

I dipped my toe back into the Parkrun world this morning for the second time, 5 years since my first effort at Bakewell when I clocked 19.21.

I had to take my son to Buxton for a Lifeguard refresher at 7am so decided to give their Pavilion Gardens event a go.
    A bit of a shock to the system but got around in 20.44, and considering that the course has some sharp turns which breaks rhythm and that I never do any speed work I am reasonably happy.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Another nice morning in the northern half of the Lakes.

Started from the car park on the main road near Hartsop, along the side of Brothers Water, and up to Scandale Pass via Caiston Beck.

Zero visibility at Scandale Pass where i met the first people of the day, then down Scandale towards Ambleside. As i had made good time, at Sweden Bridge i diverted up onto the Low Pike ridge, and retraced yesterday's steps down into Ambleside via the rocky path.

6.5 miles, 1500ft.

69 miles for the week. Has been an enjoyable week where i've visited a few areas for the first time.... Glencoyne, Watermillock Common, Caiston Glen. All very quiet places yet so close to "honeypots"

Next week is pure easy running and rest. Expect i'll probably still hit 50+ miles but none of it will be with any effort at all. Just need to let various niggles recover.

Next fell race in 5 weeks (Holyhead Mountain) although potentially have a 1500mtr at the Midlands Track Champs in 3 weeks.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Having felt rather slow on some recent runs, I decided that it was time for hill reps in the Outwoods. Timings of 2:35, 2:41, 2:46, 2:42, 2:47, 2:50 ar about as good as can be expected after three weeks of running following a six-week lay-off.. Now I just have to wait to find out if my Achilles tendon has survived this session; it doesn't feel great at the moment.

Nevertheless, I am starting to think about races. I think I will give Belper Parks Life a miss this Thursday, and I have another commitment on Saturday which will prevent me going to Mount Famine. But I may see if I can get a sheepdog for the Trials at Bamford (if I arrive there without a sheepdog, I will feel obliged to run the fell race).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Bamford Sheepdog Trials was my first ever fell race.

Fairfield on Saturday was my 130th

66 miles this week, pretty much all easy, in an effort to rid myself of some niggles which i've picked up recently.

Did an "energetic" (rather than outright fast) 8 miles on the treadmill yesterday as a little tester.... pleasing to note that my calf feels as good as ever.... however still experiencing some hip-flexor pain.

Not sure about resuming proper training this week.... i'd like to, but might be prudent to take another week of easy stuff to be safe... this will mean my chances of doing anything decent on the track in a fortnight will go even further out the window, but hopefully put me on the road to a good performance at Holyhead Mtn next month.

A cautious return to full training last night.

9 x 1 minute reps on the grass. Decreasing recovery, 2 minutes for the first rest, reducing by 15secs each time.

Ran these at about 80% effort, just about bang on 18min/5km pace.

Felt good during the session, but hip is sore this morning. Visit to physio tomorrow before i plan any further ahead.... coach mentioned that i was turning in (pronating?) on one foot during the session, so something to discuss with physio.... although i'm not entirely convinced that it isn't just something to do with compensating for my bad hip, or possibly as i was wearing road shoes for a grass session for the first time.

8.5 miles for the session, 12.5 for the day.

Training came to a bit of an abrupt halt after a midweek physio visit...

My issues which i thought were strained (or worse) hip flexor, are actually caused by tendonitis/tightness... this is quite a relief, as i know it is something manageable, rather than any more serious damage.... that said, i've been strictly cross-training the latter part of the week to let things settle down, and an enhanced regime of stretching, strength work, will hopefully see things improve.

45.5 miles for the week.

Next week, well absolutely no hard sessions, although hopefully resume running in the next day or so.... next weekend's 1500mtr track race is clearly off the menu.... looking towards being fully fit for Holyhead Mtn in three weeks.

A fairly promising week in terms of returning from injury.

Kept it steady as advised by the physio. Added in a couple of brisker treadmill runs over the past 48hrs. Yesterday went down to the track session... most were doing final preparations for this weekend's regional track championships, so just a few reps.... i did some drills and half a dozen 70-80 metre strides.

8 miles for the session.

A very easy day today... if i feel ok tomorrow i might do some hard treadmill reps.

As planned, did a treadmill interval session this morning.

Plan was for 10 x (3mins hard, 2 mins recovery).

Ended up doing 9. Not due to any pain or issues... but having done 9 quality reps, and was pushing slightly quicker each time, i was happy with the morning's work and didn't want to risk injury with going for a "hail mary" last effort.

9 miles.

Very promising, but of course will be a case of assessing how everything feels in the morning.