Page 1676 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 6761176157616261666167416751676167716781686 ... LastLast
Results 16,751 to 16,760 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    That sounds like a night to remember Travs - well done.

Do you have a link for the 2024 WMRA route? I did the WMRA Keswick race in 2005 - one of my first fell races - not something I will forget in a hurry.

Mike,

Here is a link to the route with a map and elevation profile....

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-carrera...qjCY00lso3_ycg

The actual championship website doesn't officially launch until next week.

And the below video shows (i think) the majority of the route in reverse....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_6deWh6n4

The "classic up and down" race is on a different route over different mountains entirely.
    Last edited by Travs; 13-12-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Mike,

Here is a link to the route with a map and elevation profile....

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-carrera...qjCY00lso3_ycg

The actual championship website doesn't officially launch until next week.

The "classic up and down" race is on a different route over different mountains entirely.
    Wow, what a route - that will be single file most of the way up - a fast start will be crucial. No doubt there will be a "spread them out a bit" field at the start.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

All those zigzags! Will you be allowed to take the "fell runner's route" (straight up, at least when you are out of the forest), or will you have to comply with stricter "mountain running" rules?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

MikeT... yes the first 800metres is relatively flat, and partly on road, so ample time for a quick start.

Anthony... i would imagine the zig-zags will have to be taken... although to be anywhere near the sharp end of the v40s i'll probably have to be in good enough shape to run the vast majority, and i would imagine keeping to the zig-zags would allow a chance of keeping in a runnable rhythm....
    Last edited by Travs; 13-12-2023 at 08:49 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Lunchtime session for a change.
    2k easy then a lap of the perimeter of Warley Woods as hard as I could do given the conditions. 10 X hill sprints across the dip and then another 2k easy home.
    8k total.
    The woods are wet and muddy but not as bad as last week. Grassy areas are fine at the moment (just the odd wet patch) but no doubt will breakdown after a few xc racers have had their way over the weekend.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    The woods are wet and muddy but not as bad as last week. Grassy areas are fine at the moment (just the odd wet patch) but no doubt will breakdown after a few xc racers have had their way over the weekend.
    I've seen the course map for tomorrow and it seems much of the course is being ran in reverse to the usual league fixtures....

ie we take the longer hill up into the trees at the Abbey Road end, and descend the "steep" section at the Hagley Road end near the golf course. I usually make time up whichever way round we go, but this probably suits me more... a lot of XC runners around my level struggle with that descent if its muddy.

We have a stronger masters team than last year, although i would probably be expected to make the top four on current form. But i'm still of mind to go out and run hard from the start and latch onto a couple of our quicker masters guys and see if i can cause an upset.

Last nights RATRun was from The Grouse at Froggatt. A still, clear and dry evening for the 3 of us but it was very wet underfoot, especially on Big Moor, where a number of knee deepers were found. A loop taking in White Lodge, the TP on Flask Edge, Big Moor, Stoney Ridge, Foxhouse and back to the Grouse via the Longshaw Estate.

A steady 6.5 miles, 632 feet in 1hr 2min. Unfortunately The Grouse was chipless as they can't find anyone to cook them! Chorizo Crisps were washed down with Timothy Taylor Landlord 4.3% in front of the open fire.

The Fletcher family who have owned the Grouse for 58 years have it up for sale. Hopefully any new owners will still operate it as a proper pub but I suspect it will turn into somewhere fancy that does not want the like of us to darken its doorstep!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Last nights RATRun was from The Grouse at Froggatt. A still, clear and dry evening for the 3 of us but it was very wet underfoot, especially on Big Moor, where a number of knee deepers were found. A loop taking in White Lodge, the TP on Flask Edge, Big Moor, Stoney Ridge, Foxhouse and back to the Grouse via the Longshaw Estate.

A steady 6.5 miles, 632 feet in 1hr 2min. Unfortunately The Grouse was chipless as they can't find anyone to cook them! Chorizo Crisps were washed down with Timothy Taylor Landlord 4.3% in front of the open fire.

The Fletcher family who have owned the Grouse for 58 years have it up for sale. Hopefully any new owners will still operate it as a proper pub but I suspect it will turn into somewhere fancy that does not want the like of us to darken its doorstep!
    I really have missed running (and walking) in the Peak District. We used to visit regularly, but since my Mother in Law passed away we have don't spend time there now. Love hearing about the RATRuns.

When we moved to Froggatt 30+ years ago and back then the Chequers was a real pub, with a 'locals' room at the back. Sadly not long after wine lists started appearing on the black boards and now it's a glorified restaurant with rooms that likes to put the chairs on the tables around 9:30pm. Hopefully the Grouse won't go the same way. I know the family are struggling to keep it going but they have done a sterling job for a very long time.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run