Page 1679 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 6791179157916291669167716781679168016811689 ... LastLast
Results 16,781 to 16,790 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

The first thing i thought when i read your post Llani, was Passing Clouds in reverse!

Was my 2nd ever fell race. In fact i think all my first three were in the Peaks....

Bamford Sheepdog Trials
    Passing Clouds
    Kinder Trog

Finished the year off with bang on 80 miles this week, giving me a final score of almost exactly 66 miles per week across the year.

Next year brings plenty of uphill action to look forward to, culminating with the World Masters in September. Will be doing "base" uphill work until end of February when the XC season ends.... then start targeting individual races and more specific rep sessions.... although all of the races generally being probably 50-60mins in length, should give me a constant goal to aim for throughout the year.

Master
    My figures for the year:

Activities 364
    Distance 3,800.0 mi
    Time 1114h 52m
    Elev Gain 1,115,896 ft

Quite pleased with that.

3428.5 miles for me.

Nowhere near that kind of elevation for me though!

A solid start to the new year.

11.5 miles all very easy after yesterday. And a solid weights session in the gym.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The weather forecast showed heavy rain until at least 6pm today; but I needed to get out to deal with the effects of over-eating in recent days. The route would be Buck Hill and Beacon Hill.

I have been running these paths for 36 years, and I have never seen conditions like today's in all that time. There were sheets of water where I had never seen flooding before. I had to walk most off the section of permissive path alongside the Woodbrook; I am used to seeing some water flowing along the footpath after heavy rain, but today I couldn't see the path surface through the fast-flowing torrent of muddy water. There was obviously no sign of the stepping stones where the path crosses the brook; there is a wooden fence across the brook near the stepping stones, which I have edged along in the past, but today it seemed much more rickety than usual.

The top of Beacon Hill was shrouded in clag. I looked at my watch: 51 minutes to get to the summit, a time which in younger days I would have managed for the complete circuit.

The only people I saw were two couples walking dogs. The first were quite near home, but the second were on the path down to the Woodbrook from Beacon Hill. I stopped for a brief chat; they said that they might go down to have a look at the brook, and I suggested that it would indeed be worth having a look.

In summary, quite an adventure.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    My figures for the year:

Activities 364
    Distance 3,800.0 mi
    Time 1114h 52m
    Elev Gain 1,115,896 ft

Quite pleased with that.
    Very impressive, Mike and well done.
    I only managed a meagre 289 days activity in what was a very hard year work wise.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Thanks Pete - it helps of course that I am retired, and that I have decent hills on my doorstep.

289 active days is pretty good for someone still working. Those short and wet winter days must make it particularly hard to get out.

I had to drop last night's club session (2 x 2km) as still very sore from sunday's Jubilee Plunge.

I did turn up to the session with the intention of possibly doing one rep at 3/4 pace. However it became apparent in the warmup that there would be no benefit to this, with another tough track session to come on thursday night i would just be risking not being recovered for that.... and that would then impact on saturday's hill session, and so forth...

Still knocked out a decent haul of miles... with a warmup, a slow run while the session was in progress, and a long warm down, managed 9.5 miles, with another 4 easy miles AM.
    Last edited by Travs; 03-01-2024 at 08:09 AM.

A wet and very dark 6 miles and 600 feet on tarmac last night from home. Nothing apart from some large puddles to report other than the breeze and temperature conspired to make my condensating breath hang around in front of my face in a permanent cloud which annoyingly reflected my headtorch beam.

I took my dog out on its usual walk this morning and my legs were fine but on returning home and standing up off a stool, having eaten some toast, I felt a sharp pain on the outside of my left leg, just where the fibula tucks in under the head of the tibia below the knee. I am, 6 hours later, still unable to fully weight bear without pain.
    No idea what it is, hopefully only old age and it'll disappear as quickly as it came!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog