Page 1680 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 6801180158016301670167816791680168116821690 ... LastLast
Results 16,791 to 16,800 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

First run out of Teesdale for 2024 and an old favourite. Weasdale, Green Bell, Randygill top, Hooksey and back with a detour off to Kensgriff and a bit of meandering over Stwarth to check out the condition of the trods (for horse riding options). 9.4 miles 2496 feet ascent 2 hrs 3 mins.

Arriving back at Randygill top, I checked my watch for the accumulated ascent. It was thick cloud and visibility was down to a few metres and then, looking up, I was a bit discombobulated as to the route over to Kensgriff, as the summit of Randygill, is just tussock grass and peaty. It's been a while since I've had to take the compass out to give me a general direction. Got me thinking. Over the last couple of years I've been able to pick and chose my running days and times, so no head-torchers, and cherry picking the days on the basis of the week's forecast for anything none local. Consequently, my usually proficient navigation skills and nouse has become a bit rusty! Must fix that...
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A wet and very dark 6 miles and 600 feet on tarmac last night from home. Nothing apart from some large puddles to report other than the breeze and temperature conspired to make my condensating breath hang around in front of my face in a permanent cloud which annoyingly reflected my headtorch beam.

I took my dog out on its usual walk this morning and my legs were fine but on returning home and standing up off a stool, having eaten some toast, I felt a sharp pain on the outside of my left leg, just where the fibula tucks in under the head of the tibia below the knee. I am, 6 hours later, still unable to fully weight bear without pain.
    No idea what it is, hopefully only old age and it'll disappear as quickly as it came!
    Sorry to hear that Llani. Hope it sorts itself out, as you say. As the years rack up it is ruddy annoying how 'niggles' that would usually have been shrugged off previously, tend now to loiter about a bit longer. Yesterday's chin-ups 'reignited' a right elbow injury, again! Fortunately, not affected the running. What can't be cured...
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    First run out of Teesdale for 2024 and an old favourite. Weasdale, Green Bell, Randygill top, Hooksey and back with a detour off to Kensgriff and a bit of meandering over Stwarth to check out the condition of the trods (for horse riding options). 9.4 miles 2496 feet ascent 2 hrs 3 mins.

Arriving back at Randygill top, I checked my watch for the accumulated ascent. It was thick cloud and visibility was down to a few metres and then, looking up, I was a bit discombobulated as to the route over to Kensgriff, as the summit of Randygill, is just tussock grass and peaty. It's been a while since I've had to take the compass out to give me a general direction. Got me thinking. Over the last couple of years I've been able to pick and chose my running days and times, so no head-torchers, and cherry picking the days on the basis of the week's forecast for anything none local. Consequently, my usually proficient navigation skills and nouse has become a bit rusty! Must fix that...
    I recall doing the Weasdale Horseshoe race in terrible conditions a few years ago, it is not an entirely straightforward ridge to follow. There was one distinct turn that i remember which was not easy in poor weather.

Then did Sedbergh Hills the following day which was absolute chaos on the long middle section across the three cols.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I recall doing the Weasdale Horseshoe race in terrible conditions a few years ago, it is not an entirely straightforward ridge to follow. There was one distinct turn that i remember which was not easy in poor weather.

Then did Sedbergh Hills the following day which was absolute chaos on the long middle section across the three cols.
    When i did Sedbergh i found the long middle section quite easy, but when i did my first Langdale i visited the crinkles CP twice and still don't know how i managed it. Both in similar conditions.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    When i did Sedbergh i found the long middle section quite easy, but when i did my first Langdale i visited the crinkles CP twice and still don't know how i managed it. Both in similar conditions.
    On that middle section at Sedbergh i jumped about 30 places without seeing anyone!

I awoke this morning and the pain on the outside of my left leg had gone. Took the dog out first thing and again this afternoon, still pain or discomfort free, so the RATRun was go this evening.

Due to most off road routes being waterlogged we decided on a steady flattish run along the Monsal Trail from The Anglers Rest in Millers Dale to the western end and back. Just 4 of us on a cold and misty evening just above the raging Wye. On entering the tunnels the temperature felt a few degrees warmer. No one else seen apart from a couple of climbers, climbing/bouldering under the overhang of Ravens Tor, their presence given away by the bright halogen lamp they had with them.

Just under 7 miles, 243 feet in 51 minutes. Back in the cosy Anglers my pathetic attempt at a dry January came to an abrupt halt with a couple of pints of Farmers Blonde 4% from Bradfield Brewery accompanied by a delicious bowl of chips.

The left leg is still pain free so fingers crossed for the morning!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Following a trip to the physio yesterday, it seems the pain i am experiencing is some mini-tears in my hamstring, so was instructed not to do last night's session and wait until the weekend before (possibly) resuming hard training.

I must be honest, if i'd known doing the Jubilee Plunge was going to knock out a week of hard sessions, i'd have not bothered racing.... but hindsight is great, and such are the pitfalls of racing.

So last night i missed a great track session, 12 x 400mtrs off 1 minute rest.

Hopefully tomorrow or sunday i'll get my planned hill session in.... 1 hour, which will include 4 x 7.5 minute steep uphill.

My long-term plan had been to have my hill "base" in place by the end of the XC season, ie end of Feb, then i could have 8 weeks to really sharpen up the sessions prior to the Skiddaw Uphill Trial in April.

However i've been reading the excellent Training For The Uphill Athlete over xmas.... i have revised things, and won't consider my uphill base complete untill i'm doing a 40 minute continuous uphill session with no rest periods, at 15% gradient. (obviously this will be a lower intensity than standard "reps", but still a considerable effort)

Due to the amount of XC races still left in the season, i doubt that i'm going to achieve this before end of Feb, as hill sessions will be somewhat limited until then. I reckon i possibly need 6-8 sessions to get to that "base", so i'm probably looking at end of March, unless my fitness is such that i can skip a few steps along the way.
    Last edited by Travs; 05-01-2024 at 08:40 AM.

Following a trip to the physio yesterday, it seems the pain i am experiencing is some mini-tears in my hamstring, so was instructed not to do last night's session and wait until the weekend before (possibly) resuming hard training.

I must be honest, if i'd known doing the Jubilee Plunge was going to knock out a week of hard sessions, i'd have not bothered racing.... but hindsight is great, and such are the pitfalls of racing.

So last night i missed a great track session, 12 x 400mtrs off 1 minute rest.

Hopefully tomorrow or sunday i'll get my planned hill session in.... 1 hour, which will include 4 x 7.5 minute steep uphill.

My long-term plan had been to have my hill "base" in place by the end of the XC season, ie end of Feb, then i could have 8 weeks to really sharpen up the sessions prior to the Skiddaw Uphill Trial in April.

However i've been reading the excellent Training For The Uphill Athlete over xmas.... i have revised things, and won't consider my uphill base complete untill i'm doing a 40 minute continuous uphill session with no rest periods, at 15% gradient. (obviously this will be a lower intensity than standard "reps", but still a considerable effort)

Due to the amount of XC races still left in the season, i doubt that i'm going to achieve this before end of Feb, as hill sessions will be somewhat limited until then. I reckon i possibly need 6-8 sessions to get to that "base", so i'm probably looking at end of March, unless my fitness is such that i can skip a few steps along the way.
    You won't be using your hamstrings that much going uphill, try dropping some flat sessions in favour of something else. Recruitment is probably the issue, glute strengthening might be a waste of time.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Its most probably caused by the fact i haven't trained on the fells for almost 6 months, then went straight into a 2 mile downhill race with barely any preparation

Its most probably caused by the fact i haven't trained on the fells for almost 6 months, then went straight into a 2 mile downhill race with barely any preparation
    Still smacks of a recruitment problem. Your deep glutes should be the ones stabilising you, your hams kick in to take up the slack if they aren't hauling ass. Sorry about the puns, butt I couldn't resist.