Page 1682 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 682118215821632167216801681168216831684 ... LastLast
Results 16,811 to 16,820 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Last nights RATRun was from The Bulls Head in Monyash. On a very cold evening with a slight breeze, 4 of us set off under a bright half moon up Milkings Lane on the Limestone Way and then across fields to the top of Cales Dale. Fantastic running on frosty grass which also had a dusting of fine snow. No ice at all. Down to One Ash Grange and then into and out of Lathkill Dale and up to Ricklow Dale via a frozen cattle trod on which care was required.

Across the road and more fields to Horse Lane on the concession path which continued up to Once a Week quarry.
    A dozen or so more fields, past Nursery Fields Farm, and back to The Bulls Head. Just under 7 miles, only 600 feet in 1hr 5min. Once inside the Bull, beside the roaring fire, cheesy and non cheesy chips were washed down with What The Fox's Hat 4.2% from Church End Brewery, Nuneaton, and Landlord 4.3% from Timothy Taylor.

I had a few too many beers so left my car in Monyash and got a lift home. This morning had a lovely 4 mile walk with the dog to retrieve it and treated myself to a fry up in the Smithy Cafe, next door to the pub.

A very expensive 12 hours!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 19-01-2024 at 10:31 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A stunted week of training.

Had to get a £20+ million tender out the door at work, so only managed 28.5 miles, all of which was squeezed in between friday evening and a couple of hours ago.

This morning was a decent run though.... 75mins alternating between 5mins of increasingly fast flat running, and 5mins uphill power-walking at 15% gradient.

Next week it is the Midlands XC Champs on saturday... so our group has a programmed easy week, with no hard session. Considering my lack of action last week, i might squeeze in a hill session on wednesday evening.

I've had word that i may well be required for the inter-counties team in Keswick in late april. That will be a tough weekend as got the uphill trial up Skiddaw on the friday evening, then it would be the counties on the sunday.

Entered a couple of races last night.

Cardingmill Canter early March.... at an hour, it is just a perfect duration for a race for me this year.

Welsh 1000m (short): At slightly over 2 hours, this is a bit too long, however very much an uphill course with two huge climbs and the one big descent to Pen-Y-Pass, so happy to throw it in as a training race.

Both of these i intend to "train through" as much as possible, they are not huge priorities, unlike the uphill races. However once the vest is on and i'm on the start line, i'll be racing as hard as usual.

I’m planning on doing the Welsh 1,000’s long this year but waiting last minute to enter just in case I might be burnt out after Edale Skyline and 3 Peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I’m planning on doing the Welsh 1,000’s long this year but waiting last minute to enter just in case I might be burnt out after Edale Skyline and 3 Peaks.
    Don't leave it too long, i'm sure i read the entry will be capped at 150 runners for the long!

The entry cap of 50 runners for the short is what prompted me to enter.... it might be a little close to the Snowdon Uphill, depending when the date for that gets announced, but i thought i better get an entry in... although i'm pretty sure there weren't 50 runners when i entered it a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Don't leave it too long, i'm sure i read the entry will be capped at 150 runners for the long!

The entry cap of 50 runners for the short is what prompted me to enter.... it might be a little close to the Snowdon Uphill, depending when the date for that gets announced, but i thought i better get an entry in... although i'm pretty sure there weren't 50 runners when i entered it a couple of years ago.
    Thanks Travs. Can't find the cap details but only 51 entered on the long so far. I'll just have to remember to check regularly!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Thanks Travs. Can't find the cap details but only 51 entered on the long so far. I'll just have to remember to check regularly!
    Llani i've just checked, and its on their facebook page, and capped at 120 for the long...!!

They also include all the Pairs entries, so need to add them in too! So as of now its almost half full.

Our club strength/conditioning session got cancelled tonight, leaving me able to bring my planned hill session forward 24hrs.

This was the big one for me in terms of reps.... once i've cracked this i'll be moving on to continuous sessions on treadmill, and rep sessions on the fells once the XC season is over.

4 x (12mins 15% gradient, 3mins flat rest).

Pleased to say i did it, although it was tough. Half way through rep 2 i wondered how i was going to get through another half hour of uphill at that gradient in such a warm gym. But we do our training to get through those moments when it gets hard.

Will now move these sessions to a continuous run, building up to a 40 minute continuous @ 15%.

I don't know whether i'll manage it first time or get anywhere near.... i'm pretty sure i can knock out at least 25mins in my current state of fitness (actually its more the conditioning in the legs that is the determining factor for me i suspect).

If and when i get to 40mins, it'll then be a case of keeping the sessions going at slightly faster paces.

7.5 miles for the session including warm up/down, on top of 4 steady miles AM. Thats the hard stuff for the week done until saturday's race.
    Last edited by Travs; 23-01-2024 at 09:20 PM.

Club night and a "steady group run".

I promised to run easy with a young lady, who assured me she was also going to take it easy.... although i know she can really move when she wants to.

Obviously within a mile she was going hard after the leaders... hard enough that i was struggling to keep with her. Luckily after we crossed the busy A45 she had to stop to use her inhaler, and it was a much steadier run from there.

7 miles, on top of 4 AM.

Although the main event of the evening was getting my entry process started for the World Masters.

Last nights RATRun was from the Packhorse Inn at Crowdecote. It was very mild and breezy as the 6 of us set off down the Dove Valley to the stepping stones that were only just above the water. Across the river and up to Under Whittle followed by a short stretch of tarmac to the steep new concession path up to the TP at Sheen Hill. It was very windy at the top where a few breaks in the cloud let the light from the full Wolf Moon to shine on the recently painted TP. We returned to the road the same way and then down the muddy bridleway and back across the Dove to Pilsbury.

Along to Pilsbury Castle and then up the other side of the valley to the Open Access land above and along the delightful narrow trod the that runs the length of the ridge to the road above Crowdecote. The original plan was to go up to High Wheeldon but with one of the group struggling a bit and time getting tight for the chip deadline we just dropped down the road back to the pub.

A very enjoyable 6.5 miles, 1,041 feet in 1hr 6 min. Another roaring fire awaited us inside where chips were washed down with Touch of Frost 4.4% from The Storm Brewing Company.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 26-01-2024 at 11:50 AM.

first fell run of the year. A not very ambitious recce paced effort around the Royal Rumble Route up Darwen Moor.
    5 mile/1090ft/69 minutes
    I'll take that especially after a 9 mile/1200ft walk yesterday.

Aim is to get fit enough to have a go at the Stan Bradshaw and see if I can get a personal worst

Been doing lots of walking, now moving to running carefully.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell