Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting me speedy

Getting me speedy

SO what's the key into speed.. here's what I think (and the area's I want to work on)

1. Pushing the stride - managing to use all of your leg length and widening it so you have more time between strides

2. Weight - lighten my frame (by 1.5 stone at least)

3. Mentally learn how to push to good pace and THEN be able to push more at ceratin points

Think my problem is I've spent my time in a safety zone and know where I am comftable.. but not being speedy is peeing me off big time, both in road and off road...

Just be interested to hear how people have managed to get speed going
    Wants to see the Old Fella again SOON!

Master and MR

Re: Getting me speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett View Post
    SO what's the key into speed.. here's what I think (and the area's I want to work on)

1. Pushing the stride - managing to use all of your leg length and widening it so you have more time between strides

2. Weight - lighten my frame (by 1.5 stone at least)

3. Mentally learn how to push to good pace and THEN be able to push more at ceratin points

Think my problem is I've spent my time in a safety zone and know where I am comftable.. but not being speedy is peeing me off big time, both in road and off road...

Just be interested to hear how people have managed to get speed going
    egglet to get faster you have to train faster
    how fast do you run on the flat for say 3/ 4 miles ????????
    what pace are you at per mile

Depends at the minute.. I'm a lazy cow at heart and I think I've got myself into a bad comfort zone that needs kicking into touch

Last week I did 4miles in 36mins.. I know that sounds crap to you speedy's but that is good for me... I'd say on a good run I am 10min miles or now tipping just under sometimes

I'm toying with trying to get speed work in.. probably should do that on some short runs?

There's a track session on Tuesday at Bolton Arena, that will get your legs moving.

I know and I toyed with that idea but I cant make Tuesday's.. I'm sort of looking for idea's of what other's do in their own time to get speedy

Think some of it is actually being at a level where you can start to push?

I was a slow starter really who didnt have alot of confidence in being able to actually run that far... I'm now alot more confident in my stamina and strength over lot's of miles (on road that is!) but speed isnt there yet

I need to work speed on both off and on road

For off road i'd say I am at least 20mins behind the end of the pack at most races which is bloody frustrating but is about lack of speed, being heavy at the mo and just starting out off road so lack of experience

But in road runining I think it's cos I am training mostly alone (ahhhh!!LOL) and like I said I can be a lazy cow

Get yourself into some short races.Run the first half steady and then try and go eyeballs out for the remainder.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post
    Get yourself into some short races.Run the first half steady and then try and go eyeballs out for the remainder.
    Or run the first half eyeballs out and then hang on for as long as you can .

LOL.. ArrrggghhH!

I'm hoping that my Weds nights with Hopey and co will start to kick in actully - they seem to have helped me so far, showing me that I can run faster I just have to make the effort dont I

This weeks been a tough one because I mucked up my long training run last week and the knock on into this week was quite a shock.. I normally do LSR on Saturday morning's - Sunday I am useless - far too "weekend" and body goes "what the hell are you doing?!"

Hopefully this week all back to normal so can try and get some speedy bursts

So.. should I aim for two short fast one's a week - or more?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Or run the first half eyeballs out and then hang on for as long as you can .
    Absolutely my friend.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett View Post
    So.. should I aim for two short fast one's a week - or more?
    I would start with just one fast session a week and see how it goes. It's better to go carefully than overdo it and injure yourself. I can recommend Sarah Rowell's book as a good guide.